Motorcycle Toy Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Motorcycle Toy Hauler

Postby Rvankeur » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:55 am

So, Ed and I are trying to figure out just what it is we want to do. We've got a pop-up that we're planning on downsizing from - was great when the kids were camping with us, now that they're 16 & 19 - not so much on the camping with Dad and Rose.

Thought about a tear - even rented one and went on a gathering in October. Then it happened... he wore me down enough to take a motorcycle safety course and instead of being freaked- we ended up with His and Hers Harleys (Sportster 1200's).

So, now we're trying to figure out how we tow a tear and 2 Harleys. Thought about some sort of moveable tear on a flatbed - all kind of grandiose ideas - then I wandered into this portion of TD & TTT and a lightbulb went off - we need a converted cargo!

We wandered around a trailer dealer over the weekend, and believe we'll need something in the 7 X 12 foot range.

We'd like for the wheel chocks and bed to be removeable so that we can actually use the trailer for cargo when we want to.

What kinds of suggestions, ideas, warnings do you all have for us?

Oh, and one of the perks was that our German Shepherd would be able to sleep in the trailer with us - she just doesn't understand that if she's actually in bed with us - it needs to be in the shape of 3 I's, not 1 H. (sleeps between us - stretched out the WRONG way).
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby bc toys » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Maybe you can go with a hinged bed that go up to the ceiling when you got the bikes in the trailer and swing down to sleep or to fold up beds like in a toy hauler
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Curtis in Texas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:59 pm

If you havn't seen this then Elzi and Ed are building one.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33531
Although they are Dual Sport Riders the concept is the same.

They are camping in the Davis Mountains at the moment but will return soon and get going again refining their Cargo Trailer.

I have a 7 X 16 tandeum I'll get started on soon for a camper bike hauler.

Look around and you will see some very talented builders here who have given me a lot of ideas.
Curtis in Texas
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mwatters » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:38 am

Here's my take on the concept. Started life as a HiPoint trailer (built for hauling dirt bikes really).

The interior is fairly spartan. A couple of fold-down bunks on the sides (doubling as seating). Kinda like sleeping on the couch.

Some storage and a fridge up front (no kitchen utilities - we prefer to cook outside).

I lined the interior with wood to give it a more homey feel.
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby mwatters » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:45 am

Also a small nook for a porta potty:

Started out like this (no "before" interior photos - was pretty ugly):

Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby Rvankeur » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks - I keep checking the site for different ideas, and Google helps a bit. I found some "Stealth Trailer" sites - but that's not really what we're looking for - we don't mind if people realize we're camping in there.
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby SNOWFOX » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Newbie here and plan on doing the same. Got this 7 x 16 enclosed that someone had started and did not finish so looking for websites, links to products, ideas. It will haul to full size Harleys. Sink, micro and fridge/freezer in place but not wired although wiring is run. Don't know how to post pics yet.
SNOWFOX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby vantexan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:20 pm

If you scroll down thru this cargo conversion forum you'll see a thread about a Forest River mini-hauler with extras. The thread shows a 14' model, there's also a 16'. They include an airbed but I would use the very nice extra large cot sold by Cabela's.
vantexan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Curtis in Texas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:38 pm

vantexan wrote:If you scroll down thru this cargo conversion forum you'll see a thread about a Forest River mini-hauler with extras. The thread shows a 14' model, there's also a 16'. They include an airbed but I would use the very nice extra large cot sold by Cabela's.

I have a pair of those Cabellas Cots with the extra large Therma Rest mattresses and I can sleep on mine as good as my Sleep # Bed at home. We'll be using these in my Cargo Camper.
Curtis in Texas
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SNOWFOX » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Yea, I like the cot idea best, easy to relocate if need be. Will definitely check out the cabella mattress. Thanks.
SNOWFOX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ed29 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:26 pm

The removable chocks work out great....

When they are out this is all that remains, easily smoothed over with a throw rug.

Plan on setting them after your finished floor is in place as they require a 1/4" in-letting to be flush.

My other advice is to carefully plan your weight distribution. Once I have a water tank and plumbing installed I will need to scoot the scoots back 20 inches to maintain proper balance and tongue weight.
ed29
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rvankeur » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:57 am

Ed29 - Thanks for those shots - that's pretty much what we were thinking about.

Do you have pix of the rest of your set-up?

Rose
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions