Motocross Dad building a conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Motocross Dad building a conversion

Postby DaveR486MX » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Hey everyone!
I'm Dave from VA Beach, VA. I'm converting a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer into a Motocross"RV". My buddy is doing the woodworking for me and I am doing the elecrical work. With my 15 year old son racing, it takes up most of my time(I love it though), so its easier to have him help. Anyway, we installed 1" styrofoam sheets for insulation today, paneling and ceiling tomorrow.... Then my buddy the boat restorer and cabinet maker is doing the cabinets for me. We are conspiring putting a sink in :twisted:..... Here is a question for you experienced ones: Where can I find a faucet with a pump? Or, what is the faucet set up for bringing water up from below the counter? I think you can see where I am going with this.
Suggestions???
By the way, I have been reading your posts for about a month now, ya'll are a great help!!!

Dave
DaveR486MX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AZSpyder » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi Dave
Sounds like a great idea for some quality father and son activities. There is nothing like building life long memories with some traveling, camping and racing with your son.
I had been trying to get my son to support me on outings. I have a CZ that needs some dust blown off but no luck getting him to crew for some vintage meets. I think it was too late after he ended up discovering girls. Enjoy while you can.
There are hand pumps built as part of the faucet. My old Puck used that type and they I was happy to see they are still on the shelf at my local RV parts house.
Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby DaveR486MX » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:04 am

yeah, it is great. I retired from the Navy after 24 years last February, we talked about racing, then we committed.
I see all of these folks who have a ton of money vested in huge Toy Haulers, RV's and other equipment. I don't really need all that. Enough room to keep 2 bikes and live comfortably for at most a week at a time. Usually the weekends. It is a blast!
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to call our local RV shop today.

Dave
DaveR486MX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby waterboybueche » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:15 am

DaveR486MX,

PLEASE take photos of the progress... I am doint the same thing in the next couple months...

We dont race motocross, just like to take the bikes camping for some adventures...

Good luck and have fun...

Mike
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby Creamcracker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:58 am

Here's a link to a hand-pump faucet...if you're looking for apowered one you'll find that on the site also....welcome from Culpeper, VA
Philip
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... pump/14040
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby DaveR486MX » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:02 pm

we started by gutting the whole thing, the adding 1" styrofoam board everywhere [i]we could fit it. We had to caulk the styrofoam in on the top, so it would stay snug against the top. When the wind blows on the aluminum it is loud! Sounds like thunder! We used caulk down the sides because any adhesive eats thru the foam. Anyway, we used a mid-price paneling on the walls and a white tile board on the ceiling. Looking good! A gap was left at the top of the wall where the curve is, we are going to run crown molding instead of trying to bend anything along the curve. We decided to put in a sink. I bounced around how to do it, until I found a 110v small pump from a cheap fountain I got from the neighbor. It fits right in the 7 gallon water bottle I got at Wal mart. OK, thats it for now. Should do my part with the wiring on Saturday. I will get pictures, just didn't have the camera today.
Thanks for the response about the hand pump.

Dave[/i]
DaveR486MX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby waterboybueche » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Im Jealous....

Have fun and I cant wait to see the progress!
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Dave,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you've got a fun project going with your son and buddy. It will bring you much enjoyment.

Please post pictures of your trailer.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby edcasey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Welcome Dave. Can't wait to see your trailer. Cargo trailer conversions make such great economical toy haulers. What type of trailer is it? What are you doing for beds?
ED
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby DaveR486MX » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome!
We made fold down bunk beds. They are just shy of twin size in width.
Didn't get anything done today, with the snow and all. I just got done towing my son around on a skim board behind my truck!!! What a blast!
I found a set of bunk beds on the internet that fold down and are encased in a frame, so thats where the idea came from. I will get pictures next time I work on it. We are pretty close to being done, some painting, re-running the electricity, finish the cabinets, plumbing... I found a company that installs spray on foam insulation, similar to "Great Stuff". I am going to do that for the bottom. Will cost around 150 bones.
I'm real close!!! We are racing all but the first weekend in February so it will be initiated soon. Will be nice to get up and be warm and be able to make bacon and eggs at the track.
Will get pics in the next couple of days and attempt to figure out how to copy them on here(I saw there are directions, but I am a man, so reading them will be the last resort).
DaveR486MX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DaveR486MX » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:27 pm

So I figure out how to put in pics. Just a couple of my son, but the important thing is i figure it out. Yeah, well, I read the directions. You can see the beds in one of the pics, but I will get better pictures. Plus shown the boy off...... :D
DaveR486MX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BC Dave » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 am

Great project ... and your fast! Fold down bunks area a great idea; I can just see them peeking into one of the pics.

water / plumming thoughts ...

Couple of observations; questions; where do you do your cooking / cleaning / showering? Where will the used water go? Is a container on a shelf sufficient for weekend get aways?

A stainless steel mixing bowl set on a counter can be filled and flung easily out the door also that way your contious of how much whater your using.

I installed a 1 gallon per minute pump; low volume and low flow so it uses little water and electricity; I beleive its a sure flow "on demand" pump that is switched; so you flick the switch then turn the tap on; its convient; but uses more water than a gravity feed water container. I was thinking it wasnt worth the hastle of installing all the pipes and hoses ... the plan is to have an outside shower; but then were does one store all the heave water needed for that?

More pics when you have a chance.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

new pics posted

Postby DaveR486MX » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:28 pm

got some pictures of our progress.
Dave, here are some answeres:
I will have power to run all of the cooking gear in will need. Including my George Foreman.
Most of the tracks we race at have showers if not we will bird bath for a day, we're men, we're supposed to stink(just kidding). Yes, I will have running water, putting a sink in the counter. will run from a small pump i got from a fountain.
I will post pics as I go so you can see how I am doing this.

Dave
DaveR486MX
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions