Side Doors?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Side Doors?

Postby Kixwy2 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:19 am

I've been doing some thinking about the side door placement, and the door at the front end of the trailer really messes up my design ideas. I want the couch/bed to run along the hitch end of the trailer, folding out into the back (license plate) end. Galley at the rear, with open space in the middle for changing, a table, the dog, etc.

Having a door that gets blocked by the end of the couch is pretty much useless. :lol: So I'm wondering if I can cut a door into the side of the trailer at any spot, or is there a structural reason for having the door placed near the front? A friend's RV door is well behind the tires, and to my knowledge hasn't had any balance issues, even when parked at a truck stop with no levelers in.

Thoughts? Ideas? Or should I bag the idea and go with only barn door in the back?
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:28 am

Don't know. Can't tell unless you post a photo of your trailer here or in your album. How long is it?

With some brands of cargo trailers, even if they don't have a side door curbside, they come framed for one behind the skin. The factory door frame is stronger than just cutting your own door opening somewhere else and trying to beef it up.

You could also do a rear door inside the barn door. There are photo examples here on the forum.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:11 am

Yes you can cut one in. You may have to do some welding, its just like putting a new door in your house. Its got to have a frame if I did it again I would buy a trailer door from a salvage yard. You can see my door and frame work in album.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions