Insulating underbelly

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:54 am

Several of us Hoosiers have camped at -15 wind chill and heat is moved real quickly from a comfort thing to a survival thing !

I have 2 campable tiny trailers and I placed 1 1/2 " of blue foam board
( two layers of 3/4 ) on the sub floor and covered the foam with a layer of 7/16 osb to protect it. It is simply layed in the trailer the only thing that holds mine in place is a small baseboard around the perimeter.

I added foam backed commercial carpeting to one of the trailers as it is a walk in rather than a tear.

An addition of this type will add about 1 1/2 hours to a build to cut and fit everything and will cost $40 to $50 +/- .

I went into the album and found a picture that shows the foam insulation layer.

Yes I put down some laminate flooring in the galley and track off area the carpet starts at the galley wall and covers the sofa / bed area only.
I small throw rug can be placed on the laminate to wipe off feet or remove muddy shoes before entering the carpeted area.
Last edited by bobhenry on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:13 am

The under the floor radiant heating flashed me back to an idea I will yet incorporate in a build.

Under the floor heating ducts. A perimeter of insulated pvc will be fed from a heat box much like the folks that use a pet cool system. The pvc runs will vent into the inside thru the wall cavity between the inner and outer wall to a side wall register in 4 or 5 places in the trailer. The heating appliance could be as simple as an inexpensive ceramic heater and perhaps a small booster fan for dispersal.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Prem » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Pete wrote:
I can not get over how many great builds are here on this site.

No sheet! And more every month. Some very talented craftsmen are in the lerking crowd too, one has to suspect. More are bound to do a conversion and post their pics.

Question: If you do a cargo trailer conversion, does that make you a "convert?" :lol:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:11 pm

Answer: Just call me Convert! :D
Gonefishin
Donating Member

insulation

Postby hberg » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:00 am

I insulated mine with 3" polyisocyanurate roofing insulation from Johns Manville. I cut it to fit between the floor joists, squirted in "great stuff" where needed to fill the gaps and squeeze it in. I used 2x4's longways to hold it up, and then covered the whole thing with coroplast (corregated plastic). I got that idea from RV.net forums. It is supposedly the same material the RV manufactures use, and I checked it out at our local dealer and it sure looks similar if not the same. I purchased it from a local sign maker.
hberg
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions