what do you think about a 14ft trave trailer vs cargo conv

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Kyle1911 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:35 am

What Don and GPW said. I haven't owned a factory tt, but I have walked through a hundred or so, stealing ideas. Peeling wallpaper, flimsy, warped trim, millions of randomly shot staples holding everything together, and all topped off with a "EPDM" rubber roof. Not to mention about 5k worth of RV specific appliances and gizmos that were made to fail. I'll admit it. I darn near bought one. The look, the smell, the "I can have it now". Yup. Our 24' v-nose sure didn't turn out cheap. 10.5k for the trailer, with extra length, height, 10k axles, tighter joist and wall stud spacing and roof AC. Add about another 5 or 6 grand to finish. Ouch. I still don't have it done, to the point I feel like posting pics, and I have been at it off and on since April of this year. I love camping in the trailer my family built. Some of the motorhome driving, white poodle crowd sneer at us a little. Fine. I scratch my man parts, burp the sewer hose, and fart in their general direction, before returning to the campfire. A little Randy Quaid goes a long way, sometimes. All joking aside, I do feel guilty at times, spending as much of the family budget on this thing as I did. We could have a larger, more "finished" looking factory unit, for less money on the used market. I could have applied the skills I used to build this, to maintaining and rebuilding screwed up factory stuff. In the end, it's all what you want for yourself. If you want the "Factory" look, with all the bells and whistles, in a large cargo conversion, it won't come cheap. BUT... If you use care building, it will be twice as stout as a factory TT, you will know where every tiny thing is, and how it was put together, making repairs much easier down the road. My opinion, after building mine, is that the folks on here that truly keep it simple, have the right idea. 14 or 16' CT, insulate, 12v lights, one battery, and portable toilet, with an outside shower. That would keep the cost down, and still be light years ahead of a tent! I'll add that after all my second guessing of myself, our family has camped 20 nights in our trailer in 2 months, and will likely hit 30 by the time the snow flies. Even if we spent a little too much, that's one month not spent in front of the TV, or arguing over who's turn it is to clean the catbox. That's one month of life spent camping with my family, and there is no price tag on that. Sorry for the long rant! Regards, Kyle
Kyle1911
Teardrop Advisor

Postby b.bodemer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Although different sizes, I've owned a Scotty and now my ct.

I like the simplicity of my ct set up and after my first trip have no regrets about seling my td and Scotty to fund this new trailer.

I have a simple water set up for a sink, a Thedford porta potti which is easy to use and empty(just had my sister's 4 kids camp with me), and an ac on a slider for the hot weather, a fridge and microwave when I have shore power.

Compared to the all the tanks on the Scotty and a 26 yr old furnace and hot water tank I much prefer my new ct set up.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby d30gaijin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Kyle1911 wrote:What Don and GPW said. I haven't owned a factory tt, but I have walked through a hundred or so, stealing ideas. Peeling wallpaper, flimsy, warped trim, millions of randomly shot staples holding everything together, and all topped off with a "EPDM" rubber roof. Not to mention about 5k worth of RV specific appliances and gizmos that were made to fail. I'll admit it. I darn near bought one. The look, the smell, the "I can have it now". Yup. Our 24' v-nose sure didn't turn out cheap. 10.5k for the trailer, with extra length, height, 10k axles, tighter joist and wall stud spacing and roof AC. Add about another 5 or 6 grand to finish. Ouch. I still don't have it done, to the point I feel like posting pics, and I have been at it off and on since April of this year. I love camping in the trailer my family built. Some of the motorhome driving, white poodle crowd sneer at us a little. Fine. I scratch my man parts, burp the sewer hose, and fart in their general direction, before returning to the campfire. A little Randy Quaid goes a long way, sometimes. All joking aside, I do feel guilty at times, spending as much of the family budget on this thing as I did. We could have a larger, more "finished" looking factory unit, for less money on the used market. I could have applied the skills I used to build this, to maintaining and rebuilding screwed up factory stuff. In the end, it's all what you want for yourself. If you want the "Factory" look, with all the bells and whistles, in a large cargo conversion, it won't come cheap. BUT... If you use care building, it will be twice as stout as a factory TT, you will know where every tiny thing is, and how it was put together, making repairs much easier down the road. My opinion, after building mine, is that the folks on here that truly keep it simple, have the right idea. 14 or 16' CT, insulate, 12v lights, one battery, and portable toilet, with an outside shower. That would keep the cost down, and still be light years ahead of a tent! I'll add that after all my second guessing of myself, our family has camped 20 nights in our trailer in 2 months, and will likely hit 30 by the time the snow flies. Even if we spent a little too much, that's one month not spent in front of the TV, or arguing over who's turn it is to clean the catbox. That's one month of life spent camping with my family, and there is no price tag on that. Sorry for the long rant! Regards, Kyle

Kyle,

That is one whale of a CT. :thumbsup: We spent about what your total for your 24' CT will be when you're done (If there is actually such a thig as truly being done with a CT conversion) for our Jayco 16.5" out the door. You will have more room and much better build quality. You made the right choice.

When we bought the 6x10 CT (used) it was not with the intent to convert it to a camping trailer. We bought it to replace my little Ford Ranger pickup and I would sell the rarely used anymore Ranger. It would be great for hauling stuff and double as a storage vehicle in the winter for my Harley and a few other things. We bought the 16.5' Jayco because that was about the max we figured my Jeep Cherokee could handle and, since it is only the wife and I, 16.5' is plenty of room for us. But then I stumbled across this forum and everything changed with our intent toward the use of the CT. It could be dual use. When we got it to a point where we felt we could camp in it we did some boondock camping and truly enjoyed it, really getting away from it all. The 6x10 CT is great for that and tows nicely behind the Cherokee. Now we find the Jayco sits in a covered storage facility and the CT gets used more because it is small and easy to use. It parks in front of our house and when we're ready to go it is too (none of the drive to the storage facility to get the Jayco, bring it home, pack it up, go camping, come home, unload it, and return it to the storage facility).

I've still got a ways to go to finish the CT to my satisfaction/comfort level but it is campable and comfortable for the two of us. When we're out camping we spend most of our days out hiking, bird watching, and photographing so we really only need the CT for nights of sleeping, cooking, and downloading picks from the day to our lap tops. It works exceptionally well for that, and as GPW has taught me, keeping it simple makes a big difference.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dudleydoright » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi All,

Thank you for all your reponses, I have come to the conclusion that the only option is to go with a CTC. The only concern I have is if I can tow without an anti-sway or load-leveling device? Any input?

thanks,

Mike
GONE FISHIN'

ddr
dudleydoright
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:46 am

Mike
I'm looking at a 7X12 RNR trailer with the following options:
2 vents, 2 22X33 windows, 4 stablizing jacks, rv door with window, screen door, awning,
I don't have complete list in front of me so I'm forgetting somethings
cost will be less than $5000

I need my health to get better so I don't feel like I have wasted my money on something I may not be able to use.

I do want one so I'll keep trying.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:03 am

dudleydoright wrote:Hi All,

Thank you for all your reponses, I have come to the conclusion that the only option is to go with a CTC. The only concern I have is if I can tow without an anti-sway or load-leveling device? Any input?

thanks,

Mike

That all depends on how heavy you make it. I towed my 5x8 all over the west, including lots of dirt roads and trails and used a Jeep Rubicon. When I did the conversion I kept my eye on the weight and accomplished a dry weigh of 1,375 pounds for a trailer that camps very comfortably and will follow the Jeep on most trails. The CTC is a great way to go because the base trailer will hold together much better than a factory built camp trailer. Also, you only need to put into it what you need for your style of camping.

BTW... I know you need more space, but I am selling my CTC. It was featured in an article in 4 Wheel Drive magazine's September edition.
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:02 am

QUOTE: " you only need to put into it what you need for your style of camping. " .... Best reason for getting a CT vs a commercial TT .. That and CT's are made to live outside ... unlike "RVs"... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:17 am

GPW wrote:QUOTE: " you only need to put into it what you need for your style of camping. " .... Best reason for getting a CT vs a commercial TT .. That and CT's are made to live outside ... unlike "RVs"... :o

I agree. We shopped for various camper types for several years. Unwilling to take the plunge because I didn't like what I was seeing.
Sometimes homemade doesn't have to be high quality.. and it'll still outlast what you purchase.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Wolfscout, I also run at an RV forum where nearly Everybody (even the Big MC guys ) agrees the RV industry is in Deep S**t , all because of the Lack of Quality and their refusal to make a decent product (price point is the standard excuse ) ... their Lust for Profit has blinded them to the discontent of their customers ...
Something to be considered too is the "Industry" makes a good deal of Money supplying replacement parts ... Very Expensive replacement parts ... and their dealers get to do the work charging totally Outrageous labor prices ... All a system contrived by "bean counters " to maximize their Profit .... assuring a good profit for their dealers too ...
For example the factory charged me 1700USD for a sheet of 3/32" plywood to repair my TT roof when a stray small limb went right through the paper thin roof ... in ten places .. :o ... granted it was oversize ply , but $1700... :roll: Then the dealer charged me $3300 to basically just slap the ply over the old and re cover with the same cheap crap (Tpo) they used before ... Total $5000.00 :o A repair I could have done in a couple days with about $200 in materials ... (or just some Eternabond tape ) Something's terribly WRONG with this picture ... :roll: :twisted:

... and I LOVE when they talk about re-sale value ... Mine is only 4 years old and worth LESS than I still owe on it ... Just Ridiculous !!! Run away , run away !!!

Anyone buying Any RV product today is buying a big Money Pit and maintenance Nightmare !!!
If you'd like to verify this for yourself , just tune into one of the "RV" Forums and read it yourself ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:13 am

GPW come on quit holding back tell us how you really feel about factory built travel trailers :lol: :lol:

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Once Burned !!! Lesson learned !!! :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby vreihen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:01 pm

GPW wrote:Once Burned !!! Lesson learned !!! :o

On my way home from work a few minutes ago, I noticed a large number of RV's and factory campers heading towards the shore on the highway...when everyone with any common sense is getting *away* from the shore since we're about 18 hours from landfall of Hurricane Irene. The first thought to cross my mind was that they were moving them into harm's way for the insurance claims, since the beach weather isn't going to be nice tomorrow. Adds new meaning to getting out of under-water financing.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:03 am

Seems a LOT of people got Burnt ... :roll:

Bad Karma to do that .... I'm just waiting for another tiny limb to fall on mine ... that should Total it ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

14' vs CTC

Postby lmajeff1 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am

I guess that one that spent the time converting their cargo trailer to camper could be therapy session. Just think of all the things that having been done correctly that will last longer then the time it took to build. I agree with all that the state of the RV industry is in decline. My CT build will be converting a Wells Cargo Autowagon. We started the build keeping it simple just electric and AC went camping and ATV riding on several ocassions; however, now the bug to convert it with more features has hit. First is to clean the roof and apply a rubberized sealent (white) to reflect the sun. Then it will be off to insulating all but the floor. One can never go wrong with converting with the wealth of information found on this forum.

Jeff
lmajeff1
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions