Bed Lift assist

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Bed Lift assist

Postby BERT » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:17 pm

I thought I would post a couple pics of an idea that I added to my trailer during initial construction.

I had originally planned on making a drop leg to support the lower bed when lifted to access under-bed storage. Once I put the mattress in (queen size, 12" thick) I realized it would be too heavy for my wife to lift if she needed something. A few months before I had to replace the gas supports on the lift gate of my Xterra as they were no longer strong enough. Thinking, "I might need these one day", I put them on the shelf. When the drop leg idea fizzled, I realized I had the solution right in my shop. I had to go to the auto-wreckers to get the brackets for the struts but once I had those it was just a matter of determining the angle and location to mount them.

To hold everything in place I used a gate latch in the center. I found out the hard way that while bouncing down the road I needed extra support to keep everything closed. It self destructed the first time out. The gate latch that is. I added two dead bolts, one to each side to reinforce everything and haven't had a problem since.

Enjoy the pics and if you can use this idea it really makes a difference!

BERT
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:26 pm

While cleaning out my back garage last week I through away a broken pair of struts hope I don't have a need for them anytime soon.

nice fix pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Pyrofish » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:39 pm

:applause: :thumbsup:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions