Shower and toilet,

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Shower and toilet,

Postby jameswill4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:53 am

I am having a hard time figuring this out on the plumbing for the toilet and shower underneath the trailer, has anyone got any pics or drawings or a good explination on what type of shower pan , what for the shower walls and etc and does the toilet just sit directly over the black water tank
jameswill4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jwhite » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:56 am

I built my shower and made a tile base but if I had to do it again I would buy the base, you can buy them on ebay.
Lowes sells shower bases and they have the complete unit,that is how I would do it if I wanted a more finished looking install.
I bought the tile and the water proof sheets and made it myself 2x3 ft but I have found that the base I made does not drain well unless I am level and you would not have that problem with a shower base.
I had my portable toilet in the shower but have moved it into the v-nose area and like it better out of the shower.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby jameswill4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 am

does the shower dump directly into the tank or does it have to have a trap or anything special?? Are the full units at lowes pretty light??
jameswill4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jwhite » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:28 pm

I don't have a holding tank but where I camp it's out in the woods and I let the shower and sink water just run out on the ground,I have a 16 gallon water tank so I am very careful with how much water I use = and my showers only take a few minutes almost just a rinse off.?
I guess if I was parked on pavement I would catch the water with a bucket so the water wasn't running every where.
My buddy bought a complete shower base and stall from lowes,he just didn't want to build the whole thing from scratch like I did.
You will have to buy a special water resistant 4x8 sheets from lowes I think they are 18.00 each I used 4 and you have to buy a special glue to make it stick and it didn't come out looking nearly as good as a prefab shower.
I also bought tile and grout,I probably spent as much as if I just bought the whole thing and just put it in,and if I am not parked perfectly level the water doesn't drain right,I did not think about not always being parked level and with a shower base you won't have that problem.
As for holding tanks I haven't got that far because I just have a portable toilet and it's just me and I normally am only going to be gone for 3-4 days,I was watching youtube videos and they showed the black water tank gets dumped 1st and then the grey water dumps into the black water tank to wash it out.?
At some point I will put in a RV toilet and tank just so I won't have to use the portable and dump it by hand.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Re: Shower and toilet,

Postby d30gaijin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:19 pm

jameswill4 wrote:I am having a hard time figuring this out on the plumbing for the toilet and shower underneath the trailer, has anyone got any pics or drawings or a good explination on what type of shower pan , what for the shower walls and etc and does the toilet just sit directly over the black water tank

James,

Here is a 2'x2' fiberglass shower pan. I bought one for my CT conversion (see pic below) and then changed my design so do not plan to use it. Be that as it may, here is the link to where you can buy the same shower pan:
http://tweetys.com/shower-pan-24-x24-4- ... r-drn.aspx

And a pic of same in my originally proposed position within my CT conversion. I decided against it because my CT is a 6x10 and the shower would eat up too much space. I have now gone for an external Big Kahuna shower (12v plug in with a 6.6 gal. tank i.e., whatever you put in is what comes out) and will buy a shower tent type enclosure for privacy.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jahruan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:38 am

hey take a look at mines, I brought a complete shower set from lowes, $160.00 for a closeout model, works fine, did't have any issues, and I too use the big Kahuna shower, its great, I dont have any plumbing, I just have a 3 inch PVC pipe where the shower drains and its connected to the sewer hose and runs right into the campgrounds sewer hookups. Hope that helps
jahruan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jahruan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:29 am

the kahuna is by itself, it sits right outside the shower, the shower hose is long enough to go over the top of the shower
jahruan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pyrofish » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:45 am

You guys have me considering putting a shower in the Toy Hauler... I was going to have a 3' x 3' toilet alcove, no holding tanks... might as well make it a shower stall right? I'll drain to a hose or a 5 gallon bucket...

The Kahuna shower thingy looks like a winner. That sort of made the decision for me. That thing looks way better than a gravity fed water keg. I'm at the point in my build where I need to make a decision one way or the other, and I think I'm going in that direction.

Thanks for having the conversation here where we can all see it :thumbsup:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Re: Shower and toilet,

Postby Tumbleweed_Tex » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:58 am

jameswill4 wrote:I am having a hard time figuring this out on the plumbing for the toilet and shower underneath the trailer, has anyone got any pics or drawings or a good explination on what type of shower pan , what for the shower walls and etc and does the toilet just sit directly over the black water tank

This build journal will answer a lot of your questions...and the pictures are GREAT!!!

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... sc&start=0
Tumbleweed_Tex
cowboy storyteller extraordinaire

Postby jwhite » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:07 pm

This is the hot water heater I use and it works great I bought it on Ebay for 60.00 new,you have to buy a water flow tap for it to work.
These are sold in Europe so you have to replace the plug on the end.

I have also used the solar water bags that you can buy at any walmart for 15.00 and they work great also,the trick is to have a couple and only fill them half full 2.1/2 gallons they will get really hot so you may need to add cold water to get the right temp.
I have stored them in a empty ice chest to help hold the temp and they were still warm later that night..
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby 8ball_99 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Yes you do need a trap under the shower and Yes you want the toilet to sit directly over the black water tank.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com is where I got my pan.
8ball_99
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions