Garage Floor Paint on wood?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Pyrofish » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Oh, I found some thick rubber for a good price. 1/2" rubber on 4' wide rolls. $1/sqft. That outta do it. I can pick it up next week :R
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby B@tt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:53 pm

1/2 Inch Thick? Thats gotta add a lot of weight.
B@tt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pyrofish » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:03 am

It's heavy stuff at 3 lb /sqft, but I was planning to go over the entire floor with 1/2" plywood anyway. The rubber is twice the weight of the plywood, but now I don't think I'll need the extra plywood. So the difference is about 240 lbs. Not much for a trailer this size I think.
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:39 am

In the past , we've used a rubberized deck paint (marine store) that provided good footing and held up well .... in our boat ... ought to work fine in a CT ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pyrofish » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:53 am

I was looking at the wrong rubber specs. That number is for solid rubber sheeting. This stuff is the recycled, flecked, conglomeration. It likely weighs as much as 1/2" plywood, maybe 100 lbs more. I'll find out next Wednesday I guess. Because if the rolls were solid, they'd weigh about 240 lbs each. I can lift that with a bear hug, but I'll know it when I grab it :shock:

Should be about 150 lbs each roll, much more manageable :roll:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby Pyrofish » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:25 am

Didn't end up going with that 1/2" rubber. After figuring out the correct search term was "garage floor" not "rubber floor", I was able to find twice as much Garage floor mat for about the same price.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=143270&navAction=

Bought 2 of those at a garage sale this morning for the price of one. :thumbsup:

The downside is, I now feel the need to go back to putting 3/8" plywood over the existing floor. So it ends up being more expensive, but saves maybe 200 lbs. :roll:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Deck Restore

Postby gillamk » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:04 am

Has anyone considered using Deck Restore for a waterproof non-slip flooring? It is like a rhino-guard for wood.

http://www.synta.com/prod_restoredeck2.html

Pyrofish wrote:Didn't end up going with that 1/2" rubber. After figuring out the correct search term was "garage floor" not "rubber floor", I was able to find twice as much Garage floor mat for about the same price.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=143270&navAction=

Bought 2 of those at a garage sale this morning for the price of one. :thumbsup:

The downside is, I now feel the need to go back to putting 3/8" plywood over the existing floor. So it ends up being more expensive, but saves maybe 200 lbs. :roll:
gillamk
Teardrop Inspector

wood laminate flooring

Postby pmspirito » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:33 pm

I am going with the laminate wood flooring that interlocks together. The wood floor is supposed to "float" and uses no fasteners or glue to hold it down. Only the perimeter trim molding holds it in place. I only have about 60 square feet of open floor the rest is bed and cabinets etc.

Home depot has it for a buck a square foot. If it fails it will be easy to remove and replace with something else.
see my cargo trailer build at viewtopic.php?t=45197

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

Postby dudleydoright » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:54 am

PM,

Keep in mind laminate will peek and warp if moisture gets between the cracks in the boards, just a heads up.

mike
GONE FISHIN'

ddr
dudleydoright
Teardrop Master

Postby pmspirito » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:39 am

thanks for the heads up.

this is the cheap kind that is made with tempered hardboard (peg board w/o the holes) (cheap kind duh, what am I thinking)

I plan this to be a "test" to see how it holds up with two Chihuahua's in residence. If it goes well I will use it in the dogs bedroom. Yes, the dogs, Tinky Winky and Smiley Riley, have their own bed room with Direct TV too.

Excuse me, its lunch time and I have to grill up some free-range organic chicken thighs and saute some organic veggies I fresh picked in the garden, FOR THE DOGS LUNCH.
see my cargo trailer build at viewtopic.php?t=45197

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

Postby mike1125biking » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm brand new to this forum but have been following for a while. I plan on starting a project this fall and I was thinking of using 4x6 horse mats for my floor. They are almost 3/4 thick but that would recess my e-track as I plan to be able to haul my motorcycle and bicycles when I go. It would add some weight but it is very tough. I got my garage piece at rural king for about $30. They would have to be cut to be pieced in with the e-track
mike1125biking
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 8ball_99 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:20 am

mike1125biking wrote:I'm brand new to this forum but have been following for a while. I plan on starting a project this fall and I was thinking of using 4x6 horse mats for my floor. They are almost 3/4 thick but that would recess my e-track as I plan to be able to haul my motorcycle and bicycles when I go. It would add some weight but it is very tough. I got my garage piece at rural king for about $30. They would have to be cut to be pieced in with the e-track

You might want to consider what I did.. I just mounted the E track on top of the rubber floor. I wanted to be able to spray my trailer out with a hose. Putting the E track on the wood floor then laying the rubber around it doesn't do much for protecting the wood. The E track has holes in it and will need cleaned out from time to time. I plan on just spraying it out with water.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby mike1125biking » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:03 am

I have thought about that but the flooring I'm thinking of wouldn't be glued or anything (removable) so hosing wouldn't be am option anyway. Leaf blower or shop vac to clean the track was my plan. Also eliminates the toe kick if it is recessed. Thanks for the input
mike1125biking
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions