aircards internet access

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:14 pm

I used a Verizon USB plug-in card for over 3 years. It was fantastic. As has been said, if there's cell service, there's internet. Once I got a smart phone (Droid) though, I had to cancel the air card service due to the $60 a year. Haven't tried the phone as a hot spot for the laptop yet because I can do everything I need to do with the phone!

I still have the USB card. I think they're transferrable?
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Current State Of Data Plans/Modems

Postby Engineer Guy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:49 pm

Besides having been in the Cellular Biz, I'm about to get us 2 new Thunderbolt Model Phones from Verizon. So, I've done my usual over-the-top Research. I stick with Verizon because they cover our various locations the best, and have the best National Coverage.

1. You can go in, via Keyboard, and 'fix' the USB Air Modem to 3G or 4G protocol. Faster 4G kicks me off more often, even while stationary, so sometimes I just work via 'fixed' 3G. That said, 4G today hit a new peak speed of 3300 k Download; 900 k Upload. Being far from the Phone Office, wired DSL - which slows over 'more' Copper Wire distance - used to be more like 350k.

2. Even at the $60-/month 5 Gig Verizon Plan, individual Network speeds are now sensed and throttled back to slower speed after your 5 Gig limit/Month has been reached. So, 'Unlimited Plans' aren't really that. Same with all Carriers, so far as has been reported on Wireless Forums. Wireless Spectrum is finite, and the explosion of Phones and Pads have stressed Wireless Capacity. As are Applications like a casual friend watching a Football Game on his Phone today at the local Dog Park... Video sucks up Wireless Spectrum. One way to 'stretch' Spectrum capacity is to slow connection speeds over 5 Gig in order to fit on more Users. This is not too different from how more Vehicles on a finite Road width causes individual Vehicles to go slower.

3. I plan to use my pending, new Phone for Web Applications. To be sure, a PC becomes redundant for many Web Applications. However, Wireless Carriers are also clamping down on 'tethering' PCs to the Network via Phones. It used to be a hack done on the QT technically, as advised on Forums, but expect to pay for it now. When 2 Gig/Month of Data is $30-, and 5 Gig on a PC is $60-/Month, the PC is still a slightly better deal. There's definitely no such thing as a Free Lunch anymore.

4. There's a number of small, fixed and even Mobile Antennas that can plug into USB Modems to extend range for those who work on the Road.

5. I've also bought a separate USB WiFi 'Pez' that I use to extend my WiFi range to free, Open Network WiFi Networks. This also makes it possible to connect every time, at any distance, while in RV Parks, or in Motel Parking Lots, etc.. This also lessens my paid Air time on Verizon. So, any Data Plan 'goes farther' if you're on line for free some times.

USB Modems are transferable. All the programmable 'smarts' are inside on a SIM-style Card.

If you're lucky to be using a Cell Tower that's not maxed out at peak periods, or has a fast[er] connection to the Wired Network than do some Rural Towers, you can have very different individual experiences than the generalities above reported on Wireless Forums.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:50 am

I'm disabled at home most of the day. The only wireless service we can receive here is Verizon. I have their 5spot 3G Myfi. It works great. up to 5 others can link up but if I have my wireless printer on.. that does one out. I'd buy it again. I only have the 3Gig for $35 a month. $10 more for each Gig after that. Works for me.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:17 am

Verizon is the only internet where we are at except dialup so we've been on it for so long that we have unlimited for $65. Thought about getting a hot spot but when I found out I would be limited to 5 gig I said no. I sometimes go on a down load binge and download 6 or 7 gig of Youtube video in a week. I know I'm an addict. :R Anyway we have internet anywhere we have phone service but some times it can be pretty slow.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Data Speed Throttling

Postby Engineer Guy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:58 pm

My Post above was from last night Mountain Time.

Here's the 'official' News on a Forum Post as of this morning re: Data Speed Thottling on that finite property called 'Bandwidth'... There are some Software-related tricks and Frequency Reuse schemes that enhance fixed Bandwidth capacity, but some limitations are technically insurmountable.

Data Speed Throttling
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby MegC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:50 pm

FWIW I just upgraded to an HTC Inspire (android) smart phone, and I can tell you right now that this is pretty much going to eliminate the need for my little travel lappy. Email, check weather, check directions, google a couple things... that pretty much covers it. Oh, and phone calls, lol.

And if I wanted to upload pics to the intarwebz I could although I usually wait until I get home anyway. I don't particularly like letting the www know I'm on vacation and my house is just sitting there waiting for some crackhead to go through my stuff... although to be honest there isn't much for them to take that would make them a lot of money.... guess being perennially broke isn't such a bad thing in that case, lol.
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions