Retractable Screen Doors?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Retractable Screen Doors?

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Has anybody installed any type of retractable screen door inside the "RV" doors on their cargo trailers? I have a velcro/magnetic screen that is light, easy, and does a fair job. However, on some of the more bug-infested rivers I camped on this summer, I couldn't keep them out. Furthermore, getting in and out allowed a lot of them in. A side-opening/closing retractable type seems like the answer, and I'm sure somebody here has already thought of it. Any ideas, suggestions, or pictures? It would have to all fit on the wall inside the door way, as there is no place to mount inside the frame of the existing swinging door.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby kstephenson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:58 am

Check my album.....I built a sliding screen door on my side door. I built it using a closet sliding door hardware kit....then built my door and hung it.
Pretty easy install and works great. cost total 40.00

Kevin
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pyrofish » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:02 am

I like that slider. Very nice. It has me thinking... dang it... :thinking:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:38 pm

What I did was make a frame on the inside face of the door frame just about 1" smaller then the actual door opening this was allowing the screen door to be able to swing out like any camper. I never have a problem. I use piano hinges. I mean if any door you open will always permit a follower such as a mosquito to follow. I just always leave the light off when I open the door for a better chance of not attracting bugs inside. I work for a window company and purchased a screen that has flanges so that the screen can be removed and a plastic panel added to make like a fall storm door to help retain heat inside Actually both can stay on the door at one time so as to not have to store the screen. Now storing the plastic panels off the trailer during the summer is a must. In other words mine opens out just like a normal camper.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Pyrofish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 am

I really think the slider will work with my design. I plan a bench in that area, so the screen door would slide behind the bench, maybe into a pocket. Then it's out of the way when I'm camping in hot weather using the AC. But right where it needs to be when I'm camping on 12v with no AC. The slider seams like it would be easier to seal as well... Still thinking on it... My girl has been asking why I haven't done anything else on the Toy-hauler when we have a big camping trip coming the first week of November. I'm still in the planning phases of what comes next.... yeah, that's it, planning :lol:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby kstephenson » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:53 am

Works great. Can be latched in the open position for travel or latched closed while inside. Requires little space on your floor plan. Email me for any info u may need

Kevin
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby len19070 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 am

I took a window shade, replaced the vinyl fabric w/screen and mounted it over the door.

Goes up & down just like a window shade.

I eventually made a Chanel on either side of the door to hold the screen from blowing away from the inside wall.

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Pyrofish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:07 pm

These are what I'm hiding from.

Those 4 skeeters were all on me when I walked into my home. They might push a loose screen aside! :lol:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm

PYROFISH

Yep you can have them. I don't want them around either.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby dog812 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:42 am

I made my screen door for about $15..
      4 hinges
      hook and loop to latch it closed
      1x3 for the frame
      screen

Folable so it takes less room when open, very simple. Works great.

in a lil 5x8 , the bed when its out takes up most of the room so a folding door was the only solution.
The screen door doesnt have to fit exactly, i just cut the screen about 3 inches too big around the outside, then made a big loop so it would suck up all the space around the outside. If you click the pics to enlarge them, you will see.
Also for the winter months, very easy to remove. Just push the pins out of the 2 hinges holding it to the trailer. Simple.
No bugs get in.... hope this helps. If you need anymore pics let me know.
My 5x8 Cargo conversion gallery - http://postimage.org/gallery/1gh9916q0/
Upgrades - lifted, added window, led lights, screen door, awning, battery, flooring, folding shelves....etc.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:32 am

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm liking the last one, but considering using lighter framing like maybe aluminum window frame. We'll see. Dog, how did you attach your screen to the frame? Also, what type of latch to hold the door closed?
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby dog812 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:30 pm

I just wrapped and stapled the screen...
The 1x2" wood was dirt cheap and very light, that is why i went that route.
I use a hook and eye to keep it closed.
And a piece of nylon string in the middle on the outside to close it from the outside.
My 5x8 Cargo conversion gallery - http://postimage.org/gallery/1gh9916q0/
Upgrades - lifted, added window, led lights, screen door, awning, battery, flooring, folding shelves....etc.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks again Dog! :thumbsup:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions