My Project a Cargo Trailer for back country camping

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:05 am

OK, as I promised (a little later than I promised) I took some pics today after installing the rest of the interior upholstery. I am pretty happy how it came out. My sister did a great job, and was very patient with me as I added a lot of accents after the initial layout was done.

Here is a closeup of the upholstery fabric we picked out. The basic color is a light tan, but it has other colors woven in that move the color towards a reddish color that really matched up to the flooring and the Luan.

Today, I started out by stretching the fabric and two layers of batting around the luan boards. I stapled the fabric with about a thousand staples for all the upper trim that covers the area between the walls and the ceiling. Then, I did a few experiments trying to find the best way to attach the boards after they were upholstered.

I had hoped to use wood screws with little hinged caps. I found the screws would twist up the fabric and batting into a wad, and eventually tear the fabric and make it unusable. Then, I tried adding a drop of hot glue on the fabric and that was barely better than without the glue. I tried glueing the hinged screw cover to the fabric, and it worked no better than with the hot glue. Finally, I tried using 1 1/4 inch brads in my little air nailer, and it worked acceptably. Also, it made it quick and easy to install the boards without an assistant.

Now that I had a workable method of attaching the upholstery to the walls and ceiling, I tackled the "headache board" I planned to install above the back door. It is a piece of Luan that I cut to fit the space just above the back door frame. I glued a 1 1/2 inch piece of memory foam to the Luan with 3M 77 adhesive spray. Then, after stretching the fabric over the foam and stapling it to the board, I faced another mounting problem. Again, I couldn't use the screws I had planned on, because they would ruin the fabric. I couldn't use the brad nailer, because I was going into a piece of stainless steel. I decided to use self adhesive industrial strength velcro. After putting about 2 feet of 2" wide velcro cut into 5 strips on the back of the board, I peeled the other side's backing off, and stuck the piece on. It is solid enough that I don't think I'll be removing it unless I plan to replace it, because the Luan may crack before the velcro or the adhesive let go.

So, here is a picture of the upholstery on the bed/sofa, trim boards with accents, and the foam padded board mounted in the back of the trailer.

We stayed with the same theme for the trim boards in the front.

The walls along the side are a little higher than the ones in the nose cone, so I had to deal with the transition of the rear trim boards to the ones in the nose cone. I cut a wedge shaped piece and covered it with the cushion fabric, and I nailed it to the back piece, front piece, wall, and ceiling.

And this picture shows the LED Dome Light and the two LED reading lights turned on.

Here is a picture of the v front counter with the original incandescent dome light above it turned on.

In the sofa position, the seat is the front cushion, with the back being the second cushion, and the third cushion stows neatly behind the seat back. Here is a picture taken from behind the trailer with the doors open to show where the third cushion stows when in the sofa position, and also the storage under the sofa.

Here is a pic of the bed in the bed position from the front area.

The cushions are a composite of 3 inches of poly foam with 3 inches of memory foam on top. We elected to not use piping, because it just makes more bumpy things under you. After sitting and laying on it for a bit, it feels pretty comfy. I'll be anxious to see how good it is for a night of sleeping. Here is a pic of the bed taken from behind the trailer with the doors open.

While I was at my sister's home in Salt Lake, her son looked at the trailer and asked me if I wanted to put bigger tires on the trailer. I told him it was in the plan, but I hadn't got there yet. He made me a great deal on a couple of slightly used BFG All Terrains that were 31x10.50x15. That works out great for me, because they are about 5 inches taller than the original 205/75/15 tires and they fit under the stock fenders with the 4 inches of lift I already had installed. Also, they work on the stock wheels, so I didn't have to get a new set of wheels. He even mounted them up for me. Here is a pic of them on the trailer.

This just about completes phase one of the build. The trailer is now camp ready. I have a vent cover and a porthole to install, and then we go into the testing to see how it holds up on the "corrugated" dirt roads around here. :twisted:

I'll add more pics when I get it loaded up and take it out for the test camp.

Stay tuned!

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Capt. Home Slice » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:22 am

Awesome, great job! :applause:
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33463
What if you were a cow and you had a cup of coffee?
Capt. Home Slice
Donating Member

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 am

You have done a great job on your off road trailer. I have been watching your posts and waiting each week for the updates and photos. I like the tires for sure. I am going to do that to mine. I use mine for hunting and prospecting trips so tires need upgraded to take on the Arizona trails. I need the lift done but mine is torsion not spring over so i will take it to a shop and have them lift it for me. I like the bed couch idea except for me i load my ATV inside so my bed platform had to fold to the side. Anyhow job well done so far. I like your keep it simple and clean ideas.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ageless » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:41 pm

That is one sweet interior!
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:15 pm

ARIZONA GUIDE wrote:You have done a great job on your off road trailer. I have been watching your posts and waiting each week for the updates and photos. I like the tires for sure. I am going to do that to mine. I use mine for hunting and prospecting trips so tires need upgraded to take on the Arizona trails. I need the lift done but mine is torsion not spring over so i will take it to a shop and have them lift it for me. I like the bed couch idea except for me i load my ATV inside so my bed platform had to fold to the side. Anyhow job well done so far. I like your keep it simple and clean ideas.

Thanks!

Mine is also torsion. I had a certified welder put 2x4" steel square tube between the frame and the axle mount plate. Mine also is a 22 degree negative (dropped) angle, so I could have got a 4" lift by changing to a
positive axle, but it would have cost a bit more, and I am thinking that some day I'll hit the lotto and buy the Adventure Trailers setup and get it installed. Of course, that may require buying a ticket. :roll:

I had pondered a bed that split in the middle and folded up, but with the 5' wall on the RV door side, it would have been only 5' on the curb side half of the bed. Also, the bed would have to be lower to keep windows unobstructed.

I do have a design for a bed that I used on a van to keep it clear and easily removeable. Basically, you use U shaped channels running sideways to the bed, then drop in 2x4s and have 3 cushions that lay lengthwise across the 2x4s. In this case, you would put 1/2" plywood inside the cushions. I also thought of a way to make it do a 6 foot couch in that config, so you could to either a bed or couch, functionally like my set up, only with the couch running lengthwise and the open space down the curb side of the trailer when the couch is up.

If you are interested, I will post a sketch of the idea.

Gil
Last edited by meach4x4 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Ageless wrote:That is one sweet interior!

Thanks! I'm happy. It would be a lot quicker to do it again, now that all the dithering is out of the way. We'll see how it holds up on the washboards, and keep you posted.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:02 pm

Gil,

What everyone above said!

:thumbsup:

Prem
from Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, México
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Prem wrote:Gil,

What everyone above said!

:thumbsup:

Prem
from Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, México

Thanks! How is ol' see-watt-ten-aye-hoe treatin' ya? :)

Wishin' I was there now!
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby mdvaden » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:29 am

meach4x4 wrote:This just about completes phase one of the build. The trailer is now camp ready. I have a vent cover and a porthole to install, and then we go into the testing to see how it holds up on the "corrugated" dirt roads around here. :twisted:

I'll add more pics when I get it loaded up and take it out for the test camp.

Stay tuned!

Gil

Seems that I don't recall seeing a green cargo trailer before, but that is a really nice color.

Was just looking at the ad and mural removal part again. Ever thought about getting your own mural made for the back?

I'm considering making a small mural for the back left door on mine, with some lettering over a big photo.

This one (could change if I edit my album, but current 12/18 today)

I just noticed one of the Hall of Fame trailers in the header with some kind of graphic.

Seems like a nice way to add a personal touch.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:36 am

mdvaden wrote:...
Seems that I don't recall seeing a green cargo trailer before, but that is a really nice color.

Was just looking at the ad and mural removal part again. Ever thought about getting your own mural made for the back?

I'm considering making a small mural for the back left door on mine, with some lettering over a big photo.

This one (could change if I edit my album, but current 12/18 today)

I just noticed one of the Hall of Fame trailers in the header with some kind of graphic.

Seems like a nice way to add a personal touch.

The full wrap vinyl that I removed was $1,300 for the whole deal. I'd love to do a wrap on mine. Other than the personalization, it also seals the screws and keeps them from loosening. I can't think of that kind of money, though. A small one on the back may be cool, but I still have to mount a spare on the left rear door, and gas can and water can on the sides in the rear, so room may be an issue. Perhaps on the V front. I'm going to think about it for a while (got to do some camping first!)

Being in southern Utah, I'd like a pic of my jeep with the trailer behind it going through a canyon in Canyonlands or Arches. Maybe someday.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:41 am

How is ol' see-watt-ten-aye-hoe treatin' ya?

I just got back here yesterday after a week on the Yucatan and 3 days on Playa Azul, a couple of hours north of here. But, yeah, it always treats me well. Going fishing with my Mexican buddy Gilberto on Monday and then flying home Monday night.

Hey, a note of caution: You may damage the hinges on your rear door if you mount a (fairly heavy) wheel and tire there...especially given the rough terrain you plan on traveling.

I've been keeping my trailer's spare under the bed on the floor, but I am about to weld up an external bracket for mounting it. The bracket will have two horizontal flat bars and a square tube piece running vertically between them that will carry the long bolts for the wheel to mount. The horizontal bars will cross at least two structural uprights in the front wall. I will thru-bolt them with large fender washers and lock nuts.

My rear, aluminum kitchen box with just a few light things in it, makes the door a lot heavier. I try to keep the weight down it it when traveling for fear of jarring the hinges or bending the structure around the hinges. Vibration does weird things over time to threads, screws, bolts, rivets and structural stress points. Better safer than sorry. :cry:

For what it's worth,

Prem
Enjoying the nicely overcast sky and lower temperature in Zihuatanejo today :relaxing:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:31 am

Prem wrote:....
Hey, a note of caution: You may damage the hinges on your rear door if you mount a (fairly heavy) wheel and tire there...especially given the rough terrain you plan on traveling.

For what it's worth,

Prem

Good point. I'll call my contact at the factory and see what they suggest. I am hoping to keep the v front clean, because when you drop into a big dip and then go up the other side the spare on the Jeep can hit the trailer.

Thanks for the heads up.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:02 am

Why coudnt you use the same kind of tire mount as used on a jeep. That hooks to the frame of the door and not to the actual door. then it has its own hinges. You would have to mount the one side to the door, but it would only be the locking side not the weight bearing side. then just like on a jeep you unlatch the locking side swing it out of the way and oben the back doors.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:18 pm

Arizona,

That will probably be the best option for Gil or anyone doing similar. I had a rear, independent, spare tire rack on the back of a diesel Scout 4x4 that worked okay. The one on the back of my Dodge van now is a constant problem. It developes an annoying, loud squeek going down the road and it vibrates all over the place. It's a big tire. I've tried rubber washers. They work, but they wear out every few months. The weight is on the hinges of the single rear door, which have bent slightly under the weight and vibration so that door is out of adjustment. Plus the &%$=? spare has cracked my left tail light and the door won't open all the way. Gil will have a similar situation where the factory clip to hold the rear barn door open won't reach the door to keep the door open when camped with the wind blowing or parked inclined slightly.

Seems to me that were I to put an spare rack on the rear of a trailer, I'd want to have it attach to both uprights on the rear with a heavy duty locking latch and HD hinges on opposite sides.

Gil,

Ah...yeah. The shallow V-nose would cause be a problem for a front-mount spare tire when turning tight. So in the alternative:

1) There's also the possibility of mounting it centered on the roof with the steel bracket anchored to, and across, at least two roof ribs. You wouldn't want it as far forward as possible because of the fiberglass cap (no structural strength). Bring a ladder.

Two other possibilities:

2) Mount behind the fender, maybe Baja style with a spare on each side, or
3) Get a dually adapter kit and run four tires. Flat tire? So what! Mañana! :rofl: That would be the most burley off-road trailer ever! :lol:

Prem
Zihua
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:02 pm

Prem wrote:...Gil,

Ah...yeah. The shallow V-nose would cause be a problem for a front-mount spare tire when turning tight. So in the alternative:

1) There's also the possibility of mounting it centered on the roof with the steel bracket anchored to, and across, at least two roof ribs. You wouldn't want it as far forward as possible because of the fiberglass cap (no structural strength). Bring a ladder.

Two other possibilities:

2) Mount behind the fender, maybe Baja style with a spare on each side, or
3) Get a dually adapter kit and run four tires. Flat tire? So what! Mañana! :rofl: That would be the most burley off-road trailer ever! :lol:

Prem
Zihua

1) No can do on the roof, because the center of gravity goal would be busted. Gotta keep the heavy stuff below the belt.

2) This one is a likely prospect, but I'll probably put the spare on one side down low, and put the spare fuel and water cans on the other side.

3) Too wide! I am at my limits for my goal of keeping the trailer narrower than the Jeep.

Thanks, as always, for your suggestions and insights.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions