Blue Ridge Spirit, Bob and Lynn's 6x14 CT

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: BLUE RIDGE Rambler, Bob and Lynn's 6x14 CT

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:11 am

Great job Bob , I'm impressed....don't stress over minor stuff.
I can see you in Alaska camping already

Cheers OTTCT
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:34 am

I agree with everyone else Bob - job well done! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

For our first gathering, our teardrop was at "mobile tent" stage too. It wasn't as far along as your build. We still had a wonderful time.

Enjoy your camping trip!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby RetchedOne » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:28 am

lrrowe wrote:My wife made it through her heart surgery (repair mitral valve) last week. All work for the past few weeks has been on hold in preparation for this and her recovery. Of course I will be busy with making sure she is ok, but at least I will be home and ready to work.

Had mine replaced with a mechanical valve 4 years ago, speedy recovery to her!!!

Trailer is shaping up nice, good job!
RetchedOne
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:10 pm

RetchedOne wrote:
lrrowe wrote:My wife made it through her heart surgery (repair mitral valve) last week. All work for the past few weeks has been on hold in preparation for this and her recovery. Of course I will be busy with making sure she is ok, but at least I will be home and ready to work.

Had mine replaced with a mechanical valve 4 years ago, speedy recovery to her!!!

Trailer is shaping up nice, good job!

Thank you for the encouragement. She has post op complications, but she is a trooper about it and working hard to get that behind her.

I am late in responding to yours and other posts because we just got back yesterday from our maiden voyage with the Tearjerker folks at the Creeper Trail in VA. We had a great time, met some great people and picked up some gvery helpful deas and tips. Yes it certainly was a good idea to get out there even with not having everything ready with the trailer.

I will be posting more about the trip with photos and things learned very shortly.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:53 pm

I have many photos of other TD's from the Creeper Trail in VA camping event last week. I will post them in a new post (that does not sound right...).

We learned a lot this past weekend from our trip with our CT in it's "in process" state.

Here is Spotman's (Director of Old Dominion TearJerker Chapter with his CT having bagels with the other campers. This really started of our event.
He has a really nice setup and I came away with some good ideas.

Here are three shots of our CT.

And this one shows our complete lack of organization.

What we learned so far after just one trip.
- We will be ok not cooking inside the camper
- Using a porti-potty inside for mid night pee trips "only" will work.
- Using a 5 gal bucket with kitty litter for the other business will work. Just need to improve the equipment.
- Traveling with only the minimum of what you think you need is very good advice. We had 2 to 3 times too much stuff.
- The outside AC concept like Shadow and Bob Henry have may be a great idea.
- An attached awning like the Carefree Models from Colorado Awning (or something like that) will be worth it. Pricey maybe, but at our age and hindered height and CT height, bag awnings will be extremely difficult for we old folks to fold in...almost impossible for one of us to do alone.
- The CT towed great behind the F150. Mileage was about 13.5 mpg in the mountains of VA at legal speeds. Did not exceed 60...stayed mostly at 50-55.
- Fellow campers are great. Friendly and willing to share information.
- Following thru with the inside camper shower (using navy shower techniques) will work. Camp ground showers can be ok, but nothing beats the cleanliness of your own facility.
- We will not need a gray or black water tank. Using a 5 gal tank for gray water will work.
- We had way more water then we needed, so by being smarter in this area will save weight. But then again, we did not shower in the CT yet.

So the first thing I did when I got home is to make a "mock up" of an air conditioner like Shadow Catcher and others have built. I saw one on a TD that used the same concept and he just found a good setting and left it there all the time as conditions allowed. Spotman recommended that I make a model and run the hoses into my window as a test. I made this one in an afternoon.

Running through my window like this for a test. If I like the concept, I will use it instead of the false interior wall for a wall mounted AC unit used with a barn door left open. I would run the tubes from the bottom of the trailer in the back Galley area (to be built yet) then through the wall. This would allow us to completely shut the back doors, a good thing when we are not at the site. I have $25 in the AC unit and $20 in the dryer pipe.

So far it is holding the temperature in the trailer at 70 or 72, depending on what I set the AC controls at. But I am getting a ton of condensation on the "incoming" dryer tubing. I am assuming that if I were to run the pipes from the bottom up inside an insulated chamber, the condensation would go away. Shadow Catcher, I also assume I am not getting any freezing at the coils or fins since the unit is running without issues. The next bit of research is to investigate the feasibility of 6 in vent pipe.
The remote control unit will not penetrate the taped corrugated box, so that nicety is gone.

Then while continuing the AC test, I started my surround walls around the shower. Here are two side frames partially complete. I will be filling in the spaces with foam so as to keep the weight down and then adding 1/4" plywood on the sides. I really do love Kreg tools and screws.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:00 pm

:thumbsup:
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Spotman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Wow Bob, you don't procrastinate. Looking real good. Our house goes on the market Saturday.
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Why wait when you are having fun? We had a great time at the Creeper Trail and I am now obsessed to be ready for the next event. Good news on the house Bob. Good luck with it.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:18 am

I completed the skeleton wall in the back Galley area. It was designed to also fit our 10' and 12' kayaks inside for ease of storage and security as we travel.
Next comes the filling the gaps with EPS and covering the exteriors in 1/4 plywood. We also will paint them something like a muted forest green for contrast.

Shot from front to back

Front tip of kayak will just come to the cabinets yet to be made.

But we have a concern about the future feasibility of this plan as we realized that we are older and it is harder to load the kayaks then it was when we started the project.
So now we will investigate the idea of switching out these kayaks for inflatable ones for our camping travels.

I started a separate post to kick around this idea.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63903
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:33 pm

Why use two potties? Can't the bucket suffice for both jobs? Or put a bag with the kitty litter (or Wag Bag) in the bowl of the portapotty.

Having used, and emptied, a portapotty, I much much prefer the Wag bags.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby lrrowe » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:34 pm

rebapuck wrote:Why use two potties? Can't the bucket suffice for both jobs? Or put a bag with the kitty litter (or Wag Bag) in the bowl of the portapotty.

Good question. Valid point. Let's see, one requirement is to have a potti in the CT for my wife....not negotiable. I just did not want the other stuff to linger around inside the CT and I hate to empty the traditional camper potties. One point sticks in my head is a statement from Nature's Head Compost Toilet, that the odor from a toilet is increased significantly when the pee is mixed with the the other stuff. But then again, I noticed that we tended to do both functions in the exterior Teepe one with kitty litter. No odor.

I do not know what is the best right now. We will have to sort it out.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Eeewwww! That stinks. Hehe.
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi Bob.
I forgot to have you show me the "stuff" you got at WM last week. Please tell me again. What it was.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Will check it out tomorrow, in the trailer.
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:51 pm

lrrowe wrote:
rebapuck wrote:Why use two potties? Can't the bucket suffice for both jobs? Or put a bag with the kitty litter (or Wag Bag) in the bowl of the portapotty.

One point sticks in my head is a statement from Nature's Head Compost Toilet, that the odor from a toilet is increased significantly when the pee is mixed with the the other stuff. But then again, I noticed that we tended to do both functions in the exterior Teepe one with kitty litter. No odor.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but for me ... with one comes the other. I would think a twist of the bag could confine the odor.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions