Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Electrical Panels

Postby dougbox » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:39 pm

Thanks!
Here is a photo of the Electrical Panels, A/C and DC
dougbox
Gold Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:42 pm

the instant patio is cool. Well thought out and well done all around! :applause: :applause:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Pull out stove

Postby dougbox » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:56 pm

I installed a pull out stove. I am still using the small propane bottles for the stove, to make it work, I needed a small swingout shelf to hold it.
dougbox
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:48 am

The portability and simplicity of many of your features is great! I'm getting started on something very similar pretty soon, and see some of your ideas I can use. Thanks for showing us all! :applause:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Stealth TDI » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Hello,

Your trailer looks GREAT! I have a question about the feasibility of putting chairs on the ramp vs. just having a swing open door with the stuff on the ground? My first thought is it's a great way for your stuff to stay dry if it's raining and you have a canopy.

I do not yet have my first trailer. So I'm trying to keep my options open. I've considered a ramp door. But I had not considered using one as a patio.

I appreciate your insight.

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby digimark » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 pm

Awesome job! I would have loved to see the build pictures -- you've sprung this on us fully formed as it were, but I love some of your design decisions. For instance, all the cabinetry matches, and you've routed all the electric and water services into that side cabinet.

I'm glad you had the foresight to get a 6x12 -- that gives you extra space for the galley area and still have plenty of room inside.

I can't tell from the pictures, were you able to insulate the trailer? And how are your interior lights run? -Gary
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby edcasey » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:19 am

Love it!!! Well done and thanks for posting.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby dwgriff1 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:42 am

I have a 6 by 12 cargo left over from my former life as a small time contractor.

Still use mine once in a while for cargo, but off season camping beckons.

Thanks for a job well done and a bucket full of ideas.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:13 pm

I have been thinking about a cargo trailer since I sold my to big for me Travel trailer.

I just found this site last week or so.

man you did a great job as have others :thumbsup:

I'm handicapped so I want a fold down ramp for my mobility scooter.

thinking about 7X12 v-nose

PETE
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mike_La » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:04 pm

:thumbsup: Very nice job, dougbox.

I like the kitchen lay-out and the patio.

Mike
Mike

"Believe you can and you're halfway there."
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike_La
Silver Donating Member

Patio

Postby dougbox » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:55 pm

When I went to buy the trailer, I was going to get one with dual rear doors. At that time I was not thinking of conversion, just a cargo trailer. I had been renting a UHaul 3-4 times a year for several years and was tried of throwing away the money.

When I arrived at the place I was going to buy the trailer, they only had one with a ramp. It was about $100 more expensive and not what I wanted, but I was stuck, I needed it then.

As it turned out, i love the ramp for the cargo part but wasn't sure about the travel trailer part. As I was building it I loved walking up and being at the "Right Level". I had a couple of jack stands in the barn when I was building it, so I tried it. Now I love it for the travel trailer side!!!! It is a great patio. Some of the places we camped did not have a level place to sit the chairs, one place was damp, one place was gravel, the patio was GREAT!

I have always said that I am not that smart, my real talent is recognizing a good idea, and this is a good idea.
dougbox
Gold Donating Member

AC Placement

Postby dougbox » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:16 pm

Gary, I did not insulate it. The trailer came with the 1/2 in chip board already installed. It just seemed too much trouble for 3/4 " of insulation. I plan on insulating the roof. I don't plan on camping in extreme temperatures.

My original idea was to put the A/C in the lower right hand corner (see red square). Then put a Fantastic Fan in the roof. I was going to put in the top of the line fan, anout $250, the A/C was going to run about $190. So I have decided now to put in a Roof mounted A/C with a hear strip. A bit more money but not much.
dougbox
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:18 pm

And with a bit of conduit; you could have a fold down frame for a patio cover in case of rain
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Great Idea

Postby dougbox » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

ImageGreat idea Raymond, I have a pop-up tent to put over the patio, but I did not need it this trip, nothing but sun.

Here is a build photo. You can see the permanent cabinet on the left. The smaller cabinet on the left is the sink cabinet. it comes out with the sink and counter top is attached to it. The small cabinet on the right is the stove and microwave cabinet and comes out.
dougbox
Gold Donating Member

Stile and Rail

Postby dougbox » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:48 pm

I wanted to make the cabinets strong, attractive and light weight. I used the traditional Stile and Rail method of the cabinet doors. I used Aspen for the inet frames and the cabinet door frames. The panel is 1/4" birch plywood.
dougbox
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions