Help me with options.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:10 am

We are on Subaru's number 12 and 13 both OBW mine has the 3L H6. Subaru #11 an Impreza Outback is now owned by my son and has over 300,000 miles on it. Get the brakes on the trailer. Put in the largest transmission cooler that will fit.
I would go with no more than a 5' wide and 10' long. Ours is a 6X11 and the wheels put it out to 8' and if you are going on rough roads that can be problematic.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby kstephenson » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:49 am

Pulling a 6 x 12 cargo trailer with your car will be alot different than pulling a car on a dolly. The extra height of the trailer will produce more drag. Maybe a pop up camper would work out better. I pull my 6 x 12 Pace conversion with my 2005 Avalanche. There is alot of drag. I know if I can feel it with my truck..... I d really hate to be doing it with a car. You always have to take in account of changing weather and head winds.
Just a thought......
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SubaruDave » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:44 am

I've slept in a popup on some cold nights and it's no better than a tent. Maybe I should be a V-nose trailer to help with the wind resistance? Or, I'll see if I can sleep comfortably in a 5 foot space if so, thatll be the way I'll go.

Thanx for all the info, I'll be taking everything into account. I'm in the process of drawing out different options based on cargo trailer dimensions I can find (based on where the side door is, and how the back doors open, and if there's any pre-installed windows.
SubaruDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vreihen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:03 am

SubaruDave wrote:Now I need to find a place that sells cargo trailers locally, and see what they have for me.

If you're near Albany, the trailer dealer in Cairo has distributor deals with several manufacturers and also sells retail.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby kstephenson » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:53 am

V Nose would be the way to go.
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SubaruDave » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 am

vreihen wrote:
SubaruDave wrote:Now I need to find a place that sells cargo trailers locally, and see what they have for me.

If you're near Albany, the trailer dealer in Cairo has distributor deals with several manufacturers and also sells retail.....

Actually I'm about 10 minutes north west of Albany. I think I'll have to check them out. Only place I knew of around here is a place that sells campers, called them about a popup and they quoted me a price of about $9000 for a Coleman Sedona... Which is way too much money and had things I dont want or need.
SubaruDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vreihen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:48 pm

SubaruDave wrote:Only place I knew of around here is a place that sells campers, called them about a popup and they quoted me a price of about $9000 for a Coleman Sedona... Which is way too much money and had things I dont want or need.

I just sent you a PM. I bet that they can get you into an aluminum-framed 6x12 single-axle CT for $6,000 less than that popup.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby SubaruDave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanx for the PM.

If anyone can post a link to a thread about easy, safe, and cost effective bunk beds for me I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm almost to the point of buying a wooden bunkbed that you assemble your self, and just hacking it up to fit, but that seems like it would be too heavy, and just a pain to do, not to mention expensive and a waste of material.
SubaruDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vtx1029 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:33 am

SubaruDave wrote:Thanx for the PM.

If anyone can post a link to a thread about easy, safe, and cost effective bunk beds for me I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm almost to the point of buying a wooden bunkbed that you assemble your self, and just hacking it up to fit, but that seems like it would be too heavy, and just a pain to do, not to mention expensive and a waste of material.

Here's a picture of our old trailer. I used the plywood on the walls to support most of the bed and then used 1x2 's for bracing.

I'll have to get some new pictures of our new trailer. I didn't use the walls for support because our trailer can some pretty thin stuff on the walls that wouldn't support a bed.

But basically I used 4 2x4's as uprights and 2x4's for the outer perimeter and then ripped a 2x4 in half and ran it down the middle length wise with 3 cross braces, then threw some 3/8 ply on top of it.
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby SubaruDave » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:38 am

That looks really good, but I have a few questions... How wide is your trailer? And what size are the bunks? I may Do something similar, but I'd need rails and a ladder... Kids tend to move around a bit in their sleep and it wouldn't be good if one of them fell out of their bed.
SubaruDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SubaruDave » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Been thinking about options for a sleeping area, and eating area. And all I can come up with is having a similar setup as in alot of campers, when the table drops down to be level with the seating area (benches) and the seat cushions drop down to make a bed, and I came across this table (Ozark Trail 5' Center Folding Table, White) on walmart.com

It's 60x28 so it's long enough for a bed, and if I get a 6ft wide trailer I'm assuming I'll have about 66" wide interior. Which leaves me 38" on 1 side, 19" on each side of the table. Which seems like it would be fine if the bench is only on one side of the table so I have room to be comfortable. If I can find a narrower table, about 20" wide I'll be able to have a bench on each side, which could sit 4 comfortably, which is ideal incase there are any cold or wet nights and we can sit and play a game or whatever.

Any comments or concerns, or alternative ideas would be helpful, as I'm only in the planning process, which I want to be able to buy the trailer in the fall or early spring and have a set plan on what I want so I don't spend more money by changing my mind as I go.
SubaruDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pete42 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Dave if I ever get a trailer I want a 7 foot wide one I will make beds down both sides with a small area between just so I can get up without crawling over someone.
I may or may not have a permanent table I found a nice folding table that I have used for over 10 years in all forms of trailers.
since I plan on spending couple of months each summer out west and couple of months in florida during the winter I want it comfortable.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby vtx1029 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:07 am

SubaruDave wrote:That looks really good, but I have a few questions... How wide is your trailer?

That trailer was 8.5' wide
SubaruDave wrote:And what size are the bunks?
If I remember right they were 76" long and at the narrowest point 24" and widest 30" (the front of the trailer had a 6" bow in it) Sorry I forgot the picture of our new one I'll try and remember tonight. But its 28 wide same length.

SubaruDave wrote:I may Do something similar, but I'd need rails and a ladder... Kids tend to move around a bit in their sleep and it wouldn't be good if one of them fell out of their bed.
On the new one I just put an eyelet and tiedown across the opening for the kids.
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby SubaruDave » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:07 am

I think I'll have to make the bunks as wide as the trailer (6ft) and hope I can find a trailer with the side door about 2ft from the front. That way I can use them as beds when I need to, or shelving when not in use. And use the extra space from the V-nose for an electrical cabinet.

Any comments or concerns for the eating/sleeping space using the table? Does anyone have a similar setup inside that may work better?
SubaruDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SubaruDave » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Decided to keep the trailer 12v because everything I have that I'll want in the camper can run on 12 volts.

I came across this on a search with google.

http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/din ... 0208-.html

Figure that would be good to use in a few different places, I can charge phones, gaming devices and even a small Coleman fridge/cooler that I have. Since most of the places I visit dont have any power, what should I look at for solar, or what other alternatives would I have?

Seen the sticky for solar saying 65w minimum and found this one on there and it's almost half the price as others out there so I could order 2 and have an extra if I decide to upgrade electrical later. Do you guys have any expierience with these kinds, an if so how are they, and what else would I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geoking-65W-Pol ... _560wt_922[/url]
SubaruDave
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions