HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Postby flboy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:34 pm

Now, this is what I'd do if using the lid so I didn't gash my head.. Countersink magnet in ceiling and screw washer to lid in appropriate places.

Just need to get right strength magnets. They can be too strong.

Just giving you some ideas.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:45 pm

I really like the magnet idea :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Tommy B. Howdy;

DING- A - DING- A -DING!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Think the Globetrotter came home with a Winner.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tommy B » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:39 am

flboy wrote:Now, this is what I'd do if using the lid so I didn't gash my head.. Countersink magnet in ceiling and screw washer to lid in appropriate places.

Just need to get right strength magnets. They can be too strong.

Just giving you some ideas.

YES! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer: :beer: :D

I will order these momentaraly. Cant thsnk you enough as usual.
Was able to cut another door to fit after work. Small bites. Also I tried altering my AC experament and closeed the max air vent compeltly, set the air on low and the fan on low thinking the compressor would run longer. Anyway, i think the temp was 77 and the humidity was 72. Dang I like it cool AND dry so I will work on this and either consider a dehumidafyer or sell that big oversized unit an do what Don said. But in time as winter approaches.

Also, After coming in and out of that CT, mostly the ramp, I am getting killer right calf cramps in the middle of the night. Not to mention the dam wrist. I need this to end soon.

Attachments
cabinetdoor2.jpg
cabinetdoor2.jpg (539.58 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:51 am

Tommy, if you can wait until Saturday, will help you countersink and mount magnets and lid. Need to give that wrist a rest.

The CTC looks great!

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:11 am

Hey guys/gals, as I looked at this last night, the Lid spans two ribs at nearly the handles, I think just to the inside by a few inches.I am considering these bar type magnets. I am not sure but I think the groove pieces would go on the ceiling and the magnets on the lid right? Use two or three end to end on each side. I would be curious to see if the maganets on the lid would be strong enough to pull through one inch of pine less the groove pieces. :thinking:

Don If you have any spare time, even a little, I really need to finish fixing that LEAK on the roof. Its fine if I don't tow it anywhere and if the wind doesn't blow in a certain direction, I think! You know the one right? I have let this go far too long and now so much at stake. Thanks. It should only take one hour max. I have plenty of everything.

The leak happened at that wire cover from the solar panel. It leaked cause the black plastic wire wrap that is split down the center acted like a straw when the black eceltrical tape sun rotted an alowed lakage. I removed all the selve leveling caulk and black wrap before I relized what was what. It stoped the leak but well know what?
Attachments
LEAK.jpg
LEAK.jpg (99.44 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
MAGANETBARS.jpg
MAGANETBARS.jpg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 3551 times
lidstudresize.jpg
lidstudresize.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 3551 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Ok, home from work. Quick experiment. This is a small piece of a magnet from a large bar. It is wrapped in painters tape and placed in an unused urine container for storage. It easily attaches to the roof through the ONE inch pine Even more so to a screw head that is screwed in to the overhead rib. :D

I will use big bars or double up. The bars will go right on top of each handle and there thickness will make up for the gap between the handle and the ceiling. Like it was custom made.

And it will right there, exactly.
Attachments
1002191717 (Custom).jpg
1002191717 (Custom).jpg (94.04 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
1002191719a (Custom).jpg
1002191719a (Custom).jpg (97.51 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
1002191710a (Custom) (2).jpg
1002191710a (Custom) (2).jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Tommy... I'll be able to come by and help with the leak on Saturday. Also, I have some ideas on how to mount those magnets. Not so sure it will hold through 1 inch of wood with the curtains and etc.. I think whether you use rectangular magnets or the round ones you will need the magnet to engage metal directly and whether you put the metal or magnet on the roof or lid depends on the best way to get a flush mount. The round magnets and washers just appealed to me more because they'd recess better and you can distribute the weight evenly around the lid.

In any case... I will be over Saturday AM if you will be there.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:02 am

Hey Tommy,
So I was looking at your latest post pics and I noticed the thermometer/hygrometer in the background. Those numbers don't look so good if am reading them correctly. 89f @ 53% sounds like Santa Fe in the summer. If those are the numbers for inside with the A/C on we have a problem. :NC Assuming the A/C worked properly prior to this last project (T&G ceiling and insulation), Then something has changed. One definite change is the insulating and how much heat is being radiated/transmitted into the cabin. Also the T&G does have some insulating properties BUT, and its a big but... all that lumber is loaded with moisture and will be until the ambient humidity has dropped for some time. Dry pine is like a sponge and until it is acclimated and sealed it can be very hydro-dynamic. You may have already noticed things shifting or shrinking or swelling or twisting and that may change daily depending on conditions. But once the heat and humidity drop for "winter" in your area you will see it has stabilized and then the A/C should be able to remove more of the moisture at which time sealing your ceiling would make sense. But first and foremost make sure that you have fixed the leak from the roof and that the insulation did not become saturated anywhere. If it has it may be impossible to "draw it out" via the A/C and you must open her up and remove and replace wet stuff with dry stuff, allow ceiling to dry out, then seal the ceiling. Sounds bad but you gotta know if that is the case, hopefully not. Now, as far as A/C performance, couple things to check. Is the compressor running when you are asking for cold air? You should be able to hear it. If the comp. cycles off is it due to the control being satisfied (reached set temp) or is it short cycling and the thermal overload protector shutting it down prior to the control being satisfied? If it is the latter, we need to know why. Condenser coil clogged, evap. coil icing up, drain clogged, start/run capacitor issues, incorrect voltage to unit or a worn compressor that draws too much current, etc. etc.. It is also possible that the control is cycling too soon due to the moisture being removed from the ceiling right where the cold air is discharged and the control senses temp. So you may want to try this for a few days, A/C on high cool, temp set to normal medium setting 70-72f, ducts pointing down away from ceiling and all doors, windows and vents closed. Allow the A/C to treat the same air for a while and see what happens with the temp/humidity. Then you should be able to tell if A/C has an actual problem or not. If the compressor cycles off before 70-72f is achieved wait a few minutes then turn the control to a lower temp. If the compressor starts again that tells us the control is being fooled or is faulty, but the cooling system is OK. Also, be sure that the inside A/C cover and the boot that comes from the evap. are installed correctly since the depth of the ceiling has changed. If that boot has come off or was damaged the A/C wont be able to do anything right.
Just take it one step at a time and let me know what you find and we'll get you back on the air in no time.
Good luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:01 am

Tommy,
Nice job on the ceiling. Get that leak fixed before it mars it!.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:12 am

Hello All!

Mcdave, those numbers are just as I opened her up after comming home fromm work, with the AC off and CT locked up. Right before the ceiling job it would go to 105 temp, 45 humidity. I have not seen it get past 98/45 in storaage since the ceiling job. BUT, there is a real problem NOW, as the humidity will not go below 72 aas IM sure you know. Just info and thank you very much for you insight. And also when you first mentioned magnet, it did get me to look that way again, thanks.

Paliden, Heloo, Yes indeed, well I kept puting it off for many reasons but Don and I will get er done Saturday.

I am ordering these. They seem so perfect for many reasons, but will they be strong enough?

Unbreakable Plastic-Coated N52 Neodymium Bar Magnets, Waterproof, 3 x 1/2 x 1/4 Inch. 2-Pack. Revitalizaire Strong Permanent NdFeB Rare Earth Magnets Coated with Hard Black Polypropylene

Will order 2 sets $21.00 a set
Attachments
HANDLEMAGNET2RESIZE.jpg
HANDLEMAGNET2RESIZE.jpg (18.67 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
HANDLEMAGNETRESIZE.jpg
HANDLEMAGNETRESIZE.jpg (80.11 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 am

My plan is to modify the underside of the handles. Remove those rib supports and glue in the bars. Ideally I will just lift up and Bamm! Right? :thinking: Yeah that should do it I think! Extra magnets just in case. I will use industrial gorilla glue.

Any problems here?
Attachments
lidmagnetresize.jpg
lidmagnetresize.jpg (106.48 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:56 am

Tommy, that would do it, just be prepared to put some metal on the ceiling for the magnets to hold to if they are not strong enough to hold through the ceiling board to frame. That is my only concern.

Btw.. the temp and humidity at ambient looks good. Fall has reached Florida. :-) I have noticed the dryer air just this week.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:08 am

flboy wrote:Tommy, that would do it, just be prepared to put some metal on the ceiling for the magnets to hold to if they are not strong enough to hold through the ceiling board to frame. That is my only concern.

Btw.. the temp and humidity at ambient looks good. Fall has reached Florida. :-) I have noticed the dryer air just this week.

For $13.00 I will order those metal ones with grooves/brackets too. We can make/modify on the fly! :beer:
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:38 am

Have to keep your goal in mind.

This was this summer in Ocala at one of the state park camp grounds. Full hook up for $22.00 a night. Don and I had it mostly all to our selves. Very relaxing. Not like the old days. :cry: But hey..
Attachments
rodmanresized.jpg
rodmanresized.jpg (132.13 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
Tommy B
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions