Unicat-like features discussion.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34690&s

Postby mezmo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:34 pm

digimark,

'Thanx' for posting this link! Very interesting and full of ideas. I enjoy looking at these more-or-less-exotic vehicles, one of the more positive things money can buy if you have it and want to spend it on them.

Another source of ideas and inspiration are boating and yachting magazines/sites. I love to check out their solutions and designs. The interiors are often flat out gorgeous. Even though their scale is decidedly often different they are still dealing with space constraints in arriving at their solutions. And the craftsmanship/workmanship shows. Even though I can enjoy and appreciate them, I could never ever spend the amount of money (as if I would ever have it!) they want for them on something that could sink! Ha!

I too like "K.I.S.S" and "Simplicity" as concepts and points of view but achieving both can often be extremely hard and difficult in practice since both are aiming to be a version or form of "perfection". At least we can all try.

'Thanx' again for the link.

Norm
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Prem » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:40 pm

:cry: To-Die-For-Motorhomes (off-road or otherwise): The only thing worse than not having something you want real bad, is getting it and then being married to the payments, the insurance, the depreciation, the wear and tear, the maintenance and the heartache that it wasn't idyllic after all. Been there. Lived that. :oops:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby MegC » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 pm

I think it's a cool rig and I do enjoy seeing that sort of thing because you never know what ideas can come from it. Will I ever own one? No. Would I get one if I won the lotto? Probably not.

OTOH I have toyed with the notion of flatbedding a 3/4 ton 4x4 w/ aluminum and building a (fiberglass? plywood? metal?) camping/craphauler box on that. Most of the tips and tricks peeps are using 'round here would work since the dimensions and materials are similar. The advantage would be everything together in one neat package- easy to park, no towing worries in really nasty winter weather, etc.

HOWEVER... any rig we have has to double as a 30 mi round trip rural commuter for us, and even if I could figure a way to get the box on/off easily, the fuel usage would literally suck. And lightening up the rear end of a pickup like that can get a little squirrelly on snow/ice. And ultimately the big truck + required mods would cost MUCH more than doing a 1/2 ton pickup with a small V8 and just occasionally towing a small modded trailer.

Different strokes for different folks. The only "mistake" is probably not designing to requirements, and just a quick run through the pictures on here show just how widely requirements can vary from one person to the next. Not to be mistaken for mission creep, which is merely a natural byproduct of full project immersion... :R
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ageless » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Not saying that it's not interesting; but I default to . . . . .if you have the resources to do a 'thing'; doesn't mean you have to
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby MegC » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Ageless wrote:Not saying that it's not interesting; but I default to . . . . .if you have the resources to do a 'thing'; doesn't mean you have to

I'm 100% absolutely totally on board with the "living simply" idea in theory... BUT... I'd be a major hypocrite to act all high and mighty about it. I'm currently getting plans together to grow even more $25 tomatoes, $40 peppers, and $50 melons this year. :oops:
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Meg wrote:

I'm 100% absolutely totally on board with the "living simply" idea in theory... BUT... I'd be a major hypocrite to act all high and mighty about it.

Gads...does that mean you have so much stuff in your house that there's barely room to walk, or is it just your garage LIKE MINE!? :D
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby MegC » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:17 am

It means I'm not going to be tearing into someone for 'wasting money' on a Unicat when I'm wasting money + significant (stupid?) time and effort on growing a few little cantelopes!
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:37 am

Oh, I see.

May your cantelope crop do well in the coming year.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:53 pm

My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby MegC » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 pm

LOL! I've actually seen a couple mondo lifted trucks outfitted with tracks like that here and there over the years.

Nope, it's a trailer for us, even if it takes a couple years. We'll be sure to drag it into your driveway straight away for professional guidance. :twisted:
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Meg,

:roll: Sorry. My driveway is full too (car and trailer with two more parked on the street). I only give virtual trailer advice, and then only for a few weeks more, as I'm about to embark on a new endeavor.

You could be the first to have jumbo skiis instead of wheels and tires on your cargo trailer. The U.S. Antarctic Station airfield in New Zealand would be the place to look for used ones. :o
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Conestoga » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Oh heck; this has been going on for a long time

Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Or maybe just a little off-roading?

Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby edcasey » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Here's a idea that never caught on but sure looks like fun. A 1926 snow tractor.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/ ... seen..html
edcasey
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions