Taking the Plunge - Progressing on the build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby pilgrim » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:56 am

I'd be dead meat either way I go on that one. If I sell the Harley my wife would have my head or if I buy another bike I'll have to move into the CTC! :roll:
The road less traveled usually has fewer potholes.
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby B@tt » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:44 pm

in that case I would make sure you build yourself a really nice CTC, as there is always a need for another bike.

:yes:
B@tt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pilgrim » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:12 pm

A late answer, another bike is always on the plate!

Anyway, I finally had a little time to get the vent in. Had to be one of the hardest jobs I've ever done, not because it was technically challenging but because I had to cut a hole in the roof! :worship:

So as promised here's the whole thing...

Cut out the foam board and prepared for the frame:

I built a frame with a 45 degree bevel to help it fit up against the roof rib flange:

Frame installed and those holes drilled that created so much anxiety:

Hole cut out with sawzsall and ready for fan/vent:

Installed!

From inside:

Job's done - now on to the windows and ceiling! :thumbsup:

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi Pilgram

Check out my post 10 minutes ago on insulation...that should help you a lot

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=44903

also check on my link to current project

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/

I love the outside of your CT , looks great !! do you get better milage with the bubble noise ? I get 13 MPG with my Tundra 5.7 full or empty trailer makes no difference.

Jerry
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pilgrim » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey Jerry,

Believe it or not I've been admiring your posts and even the one on blogspot. I found the blog a while ago and enjoyed the photos and story. You've got some good looking builds and I've scanned your photos for ideas and help on more than one occasion. Good depth in your blog. Glad you like my build! By the way it was yours and a couple more blogs that led me to start a blog page. I call mine "Pilgrims Roost". Not much there yet but it's just getting started.

I do believe I get better mileage with the nosecone. Not much to compare it to in all actuality but I've pulled a number of small campers that didn't slip through the wind nearly as easily. Of course they were taller and heavier, but this one does feel particularly slippery. All the tests that I've read seem to point to better mileage so I would guess it does. I pull with a 5.3 liter 07' Chevy and average around 14 to 15 mpg. I admit I'm not one to run at 70 mph but I usually set around 62-65 most time. I've never really checked my mileage over passes here in Montana but most of my running is in the valleys where I'm just pulling up small inclines and there is usually a downhill afterward which makes up for any loss on the uphill. I'd like to make a run over the Beartooth pass this year and I'd venture to say I'll average under 10 or 11 mpg and most possibly far less on the way up. That pass even eats up the gas mileage on the Harley! I always try to 'feel' the engine when I'm on passes and never push beyond a comfortable level. Saves the engine and gas.

I acquired the trailer mainly because it had been on the dealer lot for a couple of years and they were willing to do some serious bargaining to get it sold. Unfortunately I bought a little over four years ago when things were somewhat more expensive. I did like the look of the trailer better than the others I'd looked at and we've received a ton of compliments when we've been out.

Great to connect with you here and figure out that you're also the one with the blog.

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Hey Pilgrim

With all this form surfing, i'm not getting much progress on my trailer.
I like your trailer look especially if you have a silver truck :ok:

I got mine in 2007 with the truck and then it sat in the driveway filled with storage 2 and 1/2 years till I saw this link:

http://stealthcargotrailer.blogspot.com/

I contacted the guy since he says he is homeless & jobless living in his converted trailer, to see if he was motivated for a job. He seamed happy doing nothing except complaining about his bad luck, some guys you just can't pull out of the ditch. BUT it finally got me off my butt, to get started on my 3 year old plan. :shock: :D :ok: I'm going a little over the top because I might use the trailer to travel around the country full time for 5 years, who knows ? Then I wanted to do something NOBODY had ever done before, like glass tile shower, endless water heater, 70-100 gallons water, 1kw solar system and some more goodies...still to come. Sorta like a poor beggars PREVOST Bus & about $980k cheaper then a PREVOST.

I really like these guys, they spent 6000 hours & 3 years building their rig.
the site is in German but you get the picture...

http://www.two-vagabonds.de/reisefahrzeuge/ :snappy:

These two are mostly Coyote Camping what I call "world champions"
their pictures knock the ball not only out of the stadium - but past the city limits...check their link ...supper cool ...here are pictures of Utah :snappy:

http://www.two-vagabonds.de/aktuell-usa ... 10/utah-i/

Their site is in German....but you only need to see the pictures

I'll catch up with you latter, right now its to hot here :sweaty: :sweaty:

I need to find some a/c :snowstorm:

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pilgrim » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:13 pm

We all need something to kick us in gear. Mine really came from a couple of reasons - first I love to camp and especially loved our RVs we've owned through the years and second I just feel more secure overall having a place to go to if the need ever occurs.

We'd love to do some extended travel but that probably won't be in the picture for us. Looking at that German site and all their work and travels makes me want to 'hit the road' without doubt and to be honest it's been a dream of mine for years. We're pretty locked in where we are though - not a bad thing considering where we live - so we'll just use ours for NW camping.

Thanks for the sites as I do a lot of surfing also, especially for ideas and inspiration! Your builds are great!

By the way, the truck is white... Was just thinking the last few days that I'll have to get a silver rig the next time I trade! :thumbsup:

Well, off to look at some property outside town so I'll be in touch later.

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby pilgrim » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:15 pm

OK, ceiling installed. Here's the photos...

Just before the last ceiling panel was installed:

Finished except for the trim. That will come after all the walls and cabinets are installed.

Now on to the next thing. I'm waiting for the trim rings to arrive but I have bought the square tubing and hope to have that welded in place sometime this week. Then the windows go in and more building from there. :thumbsup:
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:37 am

:thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby pilgrim » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:06 pm

What a great week! First my trim rings made it in on Thursday - and they were black as I had hoped for. Second, in my lumber stash I have a pretty good leftover supply of western red cedar paneling, so I went to Lowes today and bought a few more packages, hopefully enough to do the project. The neatest thing about the cedar is that it will work perfectly with the old barn wood I wanted to use for all the styles and rails of the cabinets as well as the trim and such. Looks like my wood decision is made! :)

I am looking forward to getting the windows in next week and beginning the next phase of the interior build. I had hoped for something unique and I think the cedar/barn wood combo will do the trick. Lot's of work left to do but the result should be worth it!

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby pilgrim » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Have had some good progress since my last post and we even got to take a camping trip this week! So all is good even though there's a lot left to do. At least the bed area worked - actually even better than I thought it would.

So here's the photos from the build progress. I'll post some interior later and a few from the trip if anyone would like me to.

Here's the frame work for the windows installed:

Insulation back in and the tape over the wall studs:

Paneling back up and the framework started:

Additional 1/2" insulation for good measure:

Final cedar paneling up ready for window install:

Siding cut out:

And Window installed:

The whole process went well and I did both sides. They look great and worked like a charm on the trip. The build is progressing well and if I have time this week I'll get the booth/bed area finished as much as is possible and the get started on the closed and pantry/utensil area.

Thanks for all the great info and help!

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:20 am

Many small steps and you have come a long way great job on all the vent, windows install I'm sure it was nerve wracking.
Yesterday I went to look at a HI-LO 19 ft trailer while very nice it would have cost $10,000 add sales tax $10,650
I decided even tho it was nice trailer for $10K I could do a cargo trailer and have many many dollars left over for trips.
I headed to my local cargo trailer dealer only to find he had either moved or gone out of business
the manufacture is still in business so I sent them an email I may get one sooner than later.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:42 am

Its looking great!. Your getting a lot done but its obvious looking at it your taking your time and doing it right.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks for the comments. It's coming along and I'm enjoying building everything. I'd rather take my time and get it done as good as I can than to bust on through and then regret it later.

Pete - Sorry to hear that your local dealer is out. Lot's of that going around right now but as one who has owned a bunch of RV trailers you're making a good choice to build a CTC of your own. It's more than the fact that you can build it your way and put quality work into it that a factory would never do, it's also the satisfaction of accomplishment you get when you move from one stage to the next. When we camped out the first of this week my wife and I slept better than we have in years in a camper. Could be that we just needed time off, but we both believe that building the camper ourselves gave us a sense of satisfaction unattainable in any other way.

Anyway - Here's some photos from camp...

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby Farm1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:08 pm

Keep it up! I'm starting mine in Feb. So, I'm watching you VERY closely!
;)

I love that you are doing this thing right - and, if I lived where you live, I would add a few extra inches of insulation. Cold is not my thing.
:thumbsup:
Farm1
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions