Finished my Conversion and Made our First Trip

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Phil Hobby » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Not to shabby for a Photographer building! I had thought about using my Photography cargo trailer and setting up a kitchen like yours, but decided on starting from scratch with a pop up frame. I need to post my pictures. Good Job!
Phil Hobby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dougbox » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Thanks, love to see your photos
dougbox
Gold Donating Member

Postby mdvaden » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:21 am

Excellent setup.

I suppose that open galley and drop down gate could work in Oregon rain here too with a dining canopy.

Blue is what I've got for now, but I think white is better.

Enjoy your adventures.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Postby dougbox » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:20 pm

We were lucky with our first trip, no rain. I have a pop-up tent that we brought along. Not sure what we would have done in lots of rain. Probably bring the coffee pot inside and bought food at restaurant. ;-)

I love your blue, why do you thing white is better?
Doug
dougbox
Gold Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:12 am

great job on the design setup.

Amazing job on the cupboards;

2 questions; why did you use the chip board for the interior walls? Are you going to cover that with a finished ply like the cabinets? Are you planning to add a cover over the back interior wall? ie one sht of 1/4 " ply would do wonders to give it a more finish.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Guess some of get to see this conversion in person at Beavers Bend in a few short months.

Looks great

Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby dougbox » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:50 pm

BC Dave,
The chip board was already installed when I bought the trailer. I did not insulate, too much work to take all of that off just to put 3/4 " insulation in there. I sanded and varnished the chip board. It doesn't look bad in there.

Yes, I am going to add the piece of 1/4 birch on the back wall.

I am also going to add a roof top air, with heat strip. Any suggestions
dougbox
Gold Donating Member

Postby mdvaden » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:48 pm

dougbox wrote:We were lucky with our first trip, no rain. I have a pop-up tent that we brought along. Not sure what we would have done in lots of rain. Probably bring the coffee pot inside and bought food at restaurant. ;-)

I love your blue, why do you thing white is better?
Doug

My camping is more frequent in spring to autumn. Sometimes the trailer gets warm due to the dark color, but mostly in summer. Not much though. And for the more part, I'm out hiking when its sunny.

I could have pulled the paneling off that it came with and put insulation against the side. But generally if I just open the door, which I like open anyway using it in the day, the temperature is fine. Don't need insulation though for cool season here. it's alright for me.

But I find that my ice lasts longer if I throw a blanket over the cooler while I'm out hiking. Nobody can get in the windows, and leaving those and the vent open helps too.

My camping is 98% near the coast though, and daytime temps are usually not more than 65 degrees, even in summer.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Postby HeidelbergJohn4.0 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:59 am

Nice design! I really like that you made your kitchen removeable.

Is there anything that would prevent you from installing your kitchen units backwards so they face inside if you are expecting foul weather? Would you be able to do it in the field?
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions