Stealth Cargo Trailers ...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby MegC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:24 pm

vreihen wrote:Flashing red and blue lights. No explosives permits. Can't go over bridges or through tunnels. Terrorist theft target. Handcuffs in your future.....

"Marge, it happened again!"
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dant » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 pm

8ball_99 wrote:Honestly I never really understood why some people don't want others to know their trailer is a camper. I guess they camp in places they aren't suppose to. We go to OHV parks and plenty of people sleep in plain cargo trailers simply cause they don't have the money or no how to fix them up. So even if you see a plain trailer its a pretty safe guess they are using it like a tent.
I would think it would be very easy to tell if someone was camping weither the trailer showed it or not. Lights on at night.. Sounds from inside the trailer. Either the trailer moving or having stabilzer jacks down.
Our trailer is super easy to tell.. Because its has holding tanks awning, AC ect, ect.. I wasn't worried about stealth just wanted a good inexpensive camper to serve our needs!
As far as theft goes. Your probably better off people knowing its a camper VS them thinking you use it for storage or construction.. Most campers don't have many things that intrest would be theives.. But if they think you have tools or maybe your using it to move cross country.. Then they will want it...

All good points. I have decided to do nothing to my CT to add additional 'stealth' factors.

1st, as you say, I may want people in some circumstances to at least consider the trailer is occupied.

2d despte its 3 windows, my test runs have shown people take no interest. People think it is a horse trailer because of the windows, or just another cargo trailer, or they just don't care

For what it's worth, I'm getting rave reviews from friends, most of whom would not camp in a trailer, and if they did would have considered the typical leviathan. .

[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=77433[img][/img]
Dant
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dant » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 pm

8ball_99 wrote:Honestly I never really understood why some people don't want others to know their trailer is a camper. I guess they camp in places they aren't suppose to. We go to OHV parks and plenty of people sleep in plain cargo trailers simply cause they don't have the money or no how to fix them up. So even if you see a plain trailer its a pretty safe guess they are using it like a tent.
I would think it would be very easy to tell if someone was camping weither the trailer showed it or not. Lights on at night.. Sounds from inside the trailer. Either the trailer moving or having stabilzer jacks down.
Our trailer is super easy to tell.. Because its has holding tanks awning, AC ect, ect.. I wasn't worried about stealth just wanted a good inexpensive camper to serve our needs!
As far as theft goes. Your probably better off people knowing its a camper VS them thinking you use it for storage or construction.. Most campers don't have many things that intrest would be theives.. But if they think you have tools or maybe your using it to move cross country.. Then they will want it...

All good points. I have decided to do nothing to my CT to add additional 'stealth' factors.

1st, as you say, I may want people in some circumstances to at least consider the trailer is occupied.

2d despte its 3 windows, my test runs have shown people take no interest. People think it is a horse trailer because of the windows, or just another cargo trailer, or they just don't care

For what it's worth, I'm getting rave reviews from friends, most of whom would not camp in a trailer, and if they did would have considered the typical leviathan. .

[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=77433[img][/img]
Dant
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:09 pm

Now that you guys made me all crazy and paranoid reading this sh**, I will have to install 3 alarms, a 5 gallon Grizzly Tear gas system, along with 5 internet cameras, 10 peep holes on the exterior of my CT along with 5000 rounds for my Glock 18..... :? :?

as well as 3 Emergency GPS emergency beacon locator systems.

I have had 10 crack dealers 24 /7 outside my house 20 years ago !!
But now you guys have me scared to leave my driveway without Rambo along for the ride !!

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/

:cry: :cry:
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lonerider » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:35 am

Personally I never go anywhere without without my 1911 and the 22 backup!
lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 4x4chvy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:27 am

You rather be a little paranoid or harassed by cops, robbed and/or dead?
I dunno where you live and hang out, but much of this country is unemployed, starving and homeless. Desperate people do dangerous things. What lengths would you go to if your family/kids were starving to death or in desperate need of medicine?

Paranoid = Prepared.

Maybe Stealth isn't for everyone. I personally have no reason to advertise my trailer, my presence or my belongings. I like being able to park anywhere, at anytime, and no one even looks twice.

Not everyone who converts a CT is looking to go weekend camping, in RV campgrounds, with full hook-ups.
My trailer allows me to stay mobile and chase work for as long as it lasts - then move on. Construction work is not found in upper class suburban neighborhoods with cops who actually do their jobs.

The economy tanked. Millions of people are living in their vehicles. Google it.
"The difference between Adversity and Adventure - is Attitude!"
4x4chvy
Teardrop Builder

Postby 8ball_99 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:03 pm

4x4chvy wrote:You rather be a little paranoid or harassed by cops, robbed and/or dead?
I dunno where you live and hang out, but much of this country is unemployed, starving and homeless. Desperate people do dangerous things. What lengths would you go to if your family/kids were starving to death or in desperate need of medicine?

Paranoid = Prepared.

Maybe Stealth isn't for everyone. I personally have no reason to advertise my trailer, my presence or my belongings. I like being able to park anywhere, at anytime, and no one even looks twice.

Not everyone who converts a CT is looking to go weekend camping, in RV campgrounds, with full hook-ups.
My trailer allows me to stay mobile and chase work for as long as it lasts - then move on. Construction work is not found in upper class suburban neighborhoods with cops who actually do their jobs.

The economy tanked. Millions of people are living in their vehicles. Google it.

Understand, But here is the deal, One if your sleeping in a cargo trailer most people aren't going to think you have much if any money on you lol. So I don't think the guy camping in the 6x10 trailer at the local lowes or walmart is going to be up on the target list. Now a cargo trailer parked off in a nook with out of state plates might. Plenty of construction trailers and moving trailers loaded with all kinds of goodies from out of town. Most bad guys break into houses while the owners are a way.. They steal tools out of work trucks while the owners are in the house a sleep Ect, Ect.. The very small trailer with someone sleeping IN it is probably not much of a target. If they know you are staying in it they are probably more likely to leave it alone.. JMO.. I'm sure all the people living in their cars are probably not high on the bad guys list to rob.. Now the guy in the 250k motor home or the doctor driving the 120k benze.. now thats probably worth their while...
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Hey 4x4

You gotta stop scaring me how bad it is in the rest of the country, how people are starving and hungry out there. :rainy: :rainy:

I live in Silicon Valley California and we got it pretty good over here :picnic: :picnic:

Just look at what my neighbor left behind when they moved. There were 15 of them living in a 2 bedroom house 800 sq. ft. They were collecting $1,700 per month in food stamps. They all had 2 jobs each and had $80k CASH in the bank. The charming house belongs to a kind old Chinese gentleman who also owns 300+ other houses. They moved because they said the neighborhood had to many rednecks and was a little ruff. They wanted to move to Los Gatos or Saratoga. Where their landlord lives. :relaxing: :relaxing:

If its really rough out there :rainy:

I don't wanna take my nice trailer out of the driveway ..... :poop: :poop:

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/

PLEASE Send me some pictures of the rough area's in your neck of the woods.
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby honeask » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:56 pm

That's gonna be one nice CT when you are done. Over the top is right :lol:
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby David_L6 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:16 pm

honeask wrote:That's gonna be one nice CT when you are done.

Yes, it is. I've been keeping up with the build because I'm probably going to borrow ;) some ideas from it.
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:34 am

OTTCT, Nice neighbors ... good riddance eh ? :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 am

Well that blew the myth of only rich techies living in Silicon Valley.
do you have any matches?
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 4x4chvy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:36 pm

8ball_99
A couple small wireless, motion activated flood lights and a couple small but LOUD wireless, motion activated outdoor sirens. The truck has it's own alarm, but the lights/siren cover the space around truck and trailer.
I also have a wireless perimeter alarm to set up if I'm going to be off the beaten track for an extended period of time (usually work related).
I don't park in parking lots, cities, suburbia, rv parks, campgrounds, etc. so I'm not easily accessible to would-be thieves.
Typically I'm parked at Job sites or national forests, BLM land.
Worst case while traveling - I have to stop at rest areas & truck stops to get some sleep.
When the trailer is dropped - it's always visible by someone and I set up the wireless security.

Most would-be thieves take one look at my K5 Blazer and assume a big, badass, crazy, redneck guy drives it and they move on to an easier target. Overall height is 7 ft 6", the floor of the truck is 3 ft from the ground. The drop hitch is locked to the truck and locked to the trailer.
For anyone who breaks into my truck or trailer - sucks to be them. I have no sympathy or compassion for thieves.
"The difference between Adversity and Adventure - is Attitude!"
4x4chvy
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions