5x8 V-nose sleeper help/ideas please!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 5x8 V-nose sleeper help/ideas please!

Postby mike445 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:54 am

onehoser wrote:Image

i keep them in ammo boxes so i can have one inside while running light etc or outside when sitting around the camp fire or when charging off of the solar panel. i grew up on a farm so prepping comes natural to me, lol. living in the country along the lakeshore we can lose power for long periods of time, so it pays to have battery backup to run the tv, routers etc and 3 gensets for the bigger appliances as needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a fantastic idea!! I need more ammo cans! Mine are full of ammo!! Lol! After I have the build underway I’ll look more into solar and batteries. I would honestly really like to keep all of the 12 V stuff on solar. Gonna have to figure it out when I get all my stuff.

mike445
Teardrop Builder

Postby onehoser » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:59 am

i also have 2 of these and an odyssey, one of which i’ll use in the 6x12

I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby mike445 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:03 pm

i also have 2 of these and an odyssey, one of which i’ll use in the 6x12

Awesome!! I’m so excited to get started on this! It’s going to be a fun project. I figure a few of those 35 Ah batteries should keep me going for a while. The radios draw next to no power at all and neither do the lights. The portable fridge (according to manufacturer) draws 3 amps per hour. I’m not sure about the fan. I’ll have to figure that out.
Mike

mike445
Teardrop Builder

Postby onehoser » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:20 pm

i had a lot of fun building mine too and i'm enjoying my 6x12 build now. the trick for me was to do what i needed to do to make it usable as soon as possible and then i added to it as i went along, allowing it to evolve as needed. it's too easy for the wish list to overwhelm you only to find that you spent time and money doing something you didn't want or need in the end. good luck and keep me posted as you go :)
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:13 pm

Quote: I was thinking of doing the Harbor Freight 100 watt solar system

I would highly recommend that you stay away from the Harbor Freight solar system. I bought one before I understood the basics of off grid solar systems. The controller will destroy a good battery in no time by repeated cycles of allowing the battery to discharge too deeply followed by overcharging. Although I am generally a big fan of Harbor Freight, in my opinion, their solar system is worse than junk. :thumbdown:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mike445 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:14 pm

onehoser wrote:i had a lot of fun building mine too and i'm enjoying my 6x12 build now. the trick for me was to do what i needed to do to make it usable as soon as possible and then i added to it as i went along, allowing it to evolve as needed. it's too easy for the wish list to overwhelm you only to find that you spent time and money doing something you didn't want or need in the end. good luck and keep me posted as you go :)
YES!! I’ve made a list of immediate needs and ones that can wait! I just want my trailer to get here already.
Mike

mike445
Teardrop Builder

Postby mike445 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:15 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:Quote: I was thinking of doing the Harbor Freight 100 watt solar system

I would highly recommend that you stay away from the Harbor Freight solar system. I bought one before I understood the basics of off grid solar systems. The controller will destroy a good battery in no time by repeated cycles of allowing the battery to discharge too deeply followed by overcharging. Although I am generally a big fan of Harbor Freight, in my opinion, their solar system is worse than junk. :thumbdown:
Thank you very much for that. Do I just need to replace the controller or avoid the whole system like the plague?
Mike

mike445
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:26 pm

I would avoid the whole HF system. I would recommend that you first research and learn how a deep cycle battery works, the different kinds, and how they need to be charged to maximize life. Then you can go on to matching the rest of the system to the type of battery that would work best for you. I started by buying a cheap flooded lead acid, deep cycle battery from Walmart, then started using it so I could go camping right away, recharging with a cheap multi stage shore power charger from Walmart when I got home. In the meantime, I researched and I learned about solar systems. The Walmart battery only lasted about a year, but was cheap to start with.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mike445 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:27 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:I would avoid the whole HF system. I would recommend that you first research and learn how a deep cycle battery works, the different kinds, and how they need to be charged to maximize life. Then you can go on to matching the rest of the system to the type of battery that would work best for you. I started by buying a cheap flooded lead acid, deep cycle battery from Walmart, then started using it so I could go camping right away, recharging with a cheap multi stage shore power charger from Walmart when I got home. In the meantime, I researched and I learned about solar systems. The Walmart battery only lasted about a year, but was cheap to start with.
Okay! Thank you very much. I appreciate the info. I’ll start my research!
Mike

mike445
Teardrop Builder

Postby onehoser » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:32 pm

that’s the controller i got on ebay, works great and i’m very happy with it. great deal for $10, a lot less in usd

onehoser
The 300 Club

5x8 V-nose sleeper help/ideas please!

Postby mike445 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:37 pm

that’s the controller i got on ebay, works great and i’m very happy with it. great deal for $10, a lot less in usd

Awesome thank you!
Mike

mike445
Teardrop Builder

Postby onehoser » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:32 am

you mentioned a camera, this one is 12v, bluetooth with night vision, i use when i’m by myself hitching up the trailer and when at camp i can keep an eye on things at night, it’s good to know that it’s a raccoon rumaging around and not a bear, lol!

onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby mike445 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:35 am

onehoser wrote:you mentioned a camera, this one is 12v, bluetooth with night vision, i use when i’m by myself hitching up the trailer and when at camp i can keep an eye on things at night, it’s good to know that it’s a raccoon rumaging around and not a bear, lol!

That is perfect!!

mike445
Teardrop Builder

Postby onehoser » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:43 am

i run it off of one of the battery packs. i also have a cell signal booster, but i haven't installed or tried it
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby mike445 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:46 am

onehoser wrote:i run it off of one of the battery packs. i also have a cell signal booster, but i haven't installed or tried it
I forget ideas. Thank you very much. I will definitely figure it out.

mike445
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions