Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New to me 7x14 CT conversion

Postby McDave » Tue May 05, 2015 6:23 pm

Doin' all the good Brother. :applause:
McDave
Donating Member

Re: 'SNO ESCAPE, New to me 7x14 CT conversion

Postby Jiffypop207 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Edited my thread with the name I chose for the trailer. 'SNO ESCAPE, kinda a play on words and it came be understood a few different ways.

Got out there last night and got a few things done. Here is the start to the fridge cabinet.

Fridge test fit.

And the electrical center defined.
ImageImage

Couldn't get out there tonight, but hopefully tomorrow.

Adam
Last edited by Jiffypop207 on Thu May 07, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:16 pm

double post
Last edited by Jiffypop207 on Fri May 29, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Plugging away when time, weather, and need to be on the bike allow.

I got my water closet framed

Cut the panels for it as well as the panels for the sides of the fridge cabinet. The door wall is one piece which gave me the skin for the WC door as well

Got all the panels that were cut and installed then with construction adhesive and stainless brads. Next item was the under bed storage which will also house the batteries. Made the panel end and panel front, place in the batteries and made the compartment divider panels.

Going to run 4 Trojan T-105 batteries configured in series/parallel. Those long weekends at state parks with power should be an issue now. I made all the ledgers and put a stationary top on the back and hinged the front tops off of that.

My excellent helper installing the piano hinge, which was cut only on one side where the compartment top ends were

Next was to remove a cabinet door and close in the front to frame the heater opening. I made a solid shelf for the heater to sit on and then slid it into place. I am really liking the finished built-in look from the front all the way to the rear of the trailer!

Deadline is looming overhead and creeping up quickly so more to come soon!

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby desertrat222 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:26 pm

plenty of amp juice there, are you going to run the fridge off 110v or 12v? i have 2- 6V deep cycle bats running a 1500 inverter and i can run the fridge from Friday-Sunday. i typically make sure everything i put in the fridge is already cold. ill likely need more bats once i start running a evap cooler and my water pump. works great for just my fridge and LED lights right now though.

Good lookin project you have here! :thumbsup:
desertrat222
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:23 am

Not my intent to run the fridge off the batteries. It is a 3-way fridge. Same fridge in a previous trailer never performed well in 12v mode while driving even after it was cooled via 110 for at least a day prior to leaving. LP is a option and has worked good in the past when 110 is not available. I usually keep the 12v for driving. It would perform better on 110 through an inverter like you say I am sure, but not the intent and seems to circumvent its design. Everything I have in the trailer will charge or work off the 12v with exception of the AC, and that is why I took off the roof top one and put in my Fantastic Vent. Used to wake up in my teardrop with the Fantastic Vent running slow and the lights being dim when I tried to use them. That was the big reason for the battery bank now that I have the room lol! GF's hair dryer and curling iron will have to make the walk to the showers with her in a no power site, well until I get a genny.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat May 30, 2015 4:28 pm

Hey Adam,
Just wanted to say I've been following your build and have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for all the pics and explanations.
I haven't started my build just yet as I use the trailer in my work almost daily, and this is the busy season. But, come Fall, I plan to hit it hard. Still watching and learning for now. I am hoping to do something similar, for BIKE RALLIES, cause Street Glides are just too cool, ya know. 2006 FLHXI SE 103, too much fun. But when the poker run is over, it would be nice to have a shower and some A/C and TV, for the wife, of course.
You are doing some GREAT work there and I can't wait for your next progress report. I'm gettin' all inspired over here.
Anyways, Thank you and keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

McDave

p.s. I love the pics of your wife helping you. How do you get her to do that? Mine just points and laughs, hmmmm....

p.p.s. You wouldn't be looking to get rid of that old A/C fer cheap, would ya?
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:19 pm

If you come get the roof ac you can have it. Thanks for the kind words. The key to the helper is we are not married lol!
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:31 pm

Thank you for that generous offer, but I'm in Montana and although I'd LOVE to see your neck of the woods someday it wont happen for a while. However, I'd like to make you a counter offer. If the A/C is in good working condition, I'd gladly pay freight charges and for your time and effort to ship it. If that is something you are interested in let me know and I will do some research on shipping and work up some numbers. If you want to contact me, my email is [email protected] or cell# 406-853-6273. Thank you, Dave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:50 pm

Email sent
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Email sent back at ya.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 am

Working in the trailer last night in a down pour, excellent wiring termination time, and noticed a single drip from the ceiling....UGH! Wiped up what was standing and placed a bucket with a few paper towels in it to catch what might come in without splatter. I am assume it is the seem in the roof or a screw or two letting it in. One drip every few minutes, so not horrible, but still a nusince. Will be coating the roof with some Henry's of some sort in the near future after it stops raining and the roof can dry.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:56 am

Plugging away organizing the electrical, making the terminations and getting it hooked up.

Playing with power and testing some lights. Shot of the reverse/work/loading light now that I have my 12v supplying some juice

Rat's nest of wires starting to neaten up and take shape

Bank of switches, another reused from previous trailer item, installed and powered up. On led is not functioning. These switches allow me to turn on power to the furnace and hot water heater, switch the hot water heater from auto to high, turn on a light that I will install under the cabinet's toe kick, and turn on the running lights on the exterior of the trailer as I see many do at campsites.

And a shot of some running lights coming back to life. Should all be hooked up tonight and the taillights will be functional tomorrow when my 5 wire to 4 wire converter arrives.

A little here and a little there each night for just a couple hours and before you know it, you have it completed and setup at a campsite.

On deck: finish light connections, install counter top, install sink and cook top, install gray water tank, install back splash, install upper cabinet, make shelf next to upper cabinet, figure out and make bed mount locations, toilet lift platform, second layer of insulation, wall finishes, table, bath door, bed install, ceiling moldings, finish cabinets front conversions, install retractable step, load with gear, camp. If there is time before my trip, then the cabinets and bath wall will get polyurethaned and the bed painted. If not, then when I return before the next one for sure.

Bunch to do in 12 weeknights and two weekends, but looking good from here!!!
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:32 am

It was a pretty productive weekend....worked on the trailer Friday afternoon and all day Sunday.

Finished up adding and connecting all the wiring, see the below rests nest lmao! looks worse then it is as all the labeled gray wires flip out of the way easily.

Got some ceiling lights mounted. These are not very bright, but are perfect for getting ready for bed or getting up in the night to use the loo. Won't blind you when your eyes are adjusted for the dark.

I added some cabinets in my house kitchen 5-6 years ago. I added to the countertop and had the old too short piece sitting in my garage since. FINALLY get to give it a new home

Here it is in place with the cook top and sink cut-in and mounted. Faucet is a pull out type so it will be easier to wash the dishes. You can see I added a plywood end panel to the right. This serves two functions, one the counter top piece I had was 2" short of the full run, and two it will provide much better needed support for the upper cabinet when bouncing down the road.

As Vicki, my help, installed the second layer of rigid insulation I followed behind her installing bead board and plywood in their respective places.

Then a triumphant moment...time to install the bed! After adjusting how the brackets were mounted to it three times the bed work pretty slick. I still have to put the legs on, but that is minor in comparison.

Some measuring ahead of time proved worth while. Hinges are exposed allowing the under-bed storage to still operate properly.

We finished off the day with another two person task of mounting the upper cabinet. I set the toaster/over on the counter. I need to make the self for it to live on next to the cabinet over the cook top. I will likely raise the shelf to provide some more heat clearance from the cook top, and will also make a metal cover for the bottom of the shelf.

A lot completed to get to this point, but fun watching it take shape very quickly as the finishing touches come together. Also nice to final mount things after measuring, mock up, and so much planning.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Spotman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:47 am

Looking real nice.
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions