CGRotorhead' 6x10 base camp build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: CGRotorhead' 6x10 base camp build

Postby CGRotorhead » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:07 pm

So I mounted the wind deflector to my truck today, I just bolted it it to the rack.
And with it mounted, it's the perfect width of the rack

I also replaced this battery that I was using
   HE WHO LIVES WITHOUT DISCIPLINE, DIES WITHOUT HONOR.
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby nunrleft » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:51 pm

I have a Thule deflector. They do seem to help reduce noise and drag if you've got a roof rack mounted. I haven't tried it with pulling a trailer though.

nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:32 am

Please let us know how the deflector works on the road. I am certain I could benefit from one. But first I have to replace my tonneau cover with a truck cap with the roof rack. I have the cover on CL with no interest so far.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:19 am

lrrowe wrote: I have the cover on CL with no interest so far.

Umm, Bob, put up the CL post, haven't seen it!

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 am

Bob, I cannot find it. They must have deleted it as I lost track of time.
I will PM you pictures.
Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby CGRotorhead » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:20 am

Got some new smaller tires and steel wheels for my trip down to San Diego this summer. I think these will help my power and mpg while towing my trailer.
Still plenty of tred on them
Comparison between my 285/70/17 and the 245/75/16
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby desertrat222 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:37 am

If i missed this i'm sorry but i'm curious if the air deflector saved you any MPG or if you can feel less drag. i only have a 6x12 and i'm surprised at its wind drag.
desertrat222
Teardrop Master

Postby professorkx » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:56 am

CGRotorhead wrote:Got some new smaller tires and steel wheels for my trip down to San Diego this summer. I think these will help my power and mpg while towing my trailer.

The smaller tires will change your effective axle ratio, so you should see a power improvement.

Gas mileage is a different issue, especially on newer vehicles with electronic automatic transmission. Since the shift points are controlled by the computer, changing to smaller tires means your transmission is shifting in the wrong spot to maximize efficiency, so you can actually see lower mpg...much lower in some cases. As a result, if the vehicle is automatic and new enough, you would need to buy a programmer that would allow you to change the tire diameter for the computer. Of course, going smaller, even on newer vehicles, isn't as bad as going to a larger tire diameter. Very common problem on the post 2008 Jeep Wranglers.

The good thing is that if you have a manual, you control shift points, so increases in mpg can be achieved. You will need to test your speedometer after the change with a GPS to determine the adjustment that will need to be made for miles traveled to get a proper mpg computation, but that's a simple process since most phones can access an AP that will allow GPS speed monitoring.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby CGRotorhead » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:57 am

What you said is partly true. But, you have to take into consideration that I have larger tires on my truck now are not factory size. So as they are larger than stock the trans tends to hunt for gears and down shift more often raising the rpms. So by going back to the factory size tires i will be back to the factory ratio improving my gas mileage compared to what I have now. The engine will not have to work as hard to get all that rolling mass moving, like it would with my larger,heavier and wider tires that I have on now. Smaller skinnier tires will take less effort from the engine to get the rolling mass of the tires moving.
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby CGRotorhead » Fri May 01, 2015 8:08 pm

Finally installed my new roof vent, but it was a pain for sure. All the hardware on the trailer is some weird sizer torx bit, it's not a 15 and it's not a 20 :x . So I went and bought one of these as scene on tv screw extractors :worship: . And I was very happily surprised that it work very well 8)
So I put my new one in with self taping screws with a 3/8" bolt head.
It's nice to have a working vent now

I also installed my smaller tires for towing. Man am I not used to having small donuts for tires :frightened:
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Fri May 01, 2015 8:19 pm

Try a square bit and see if it fits. But make sure it's a new bit or one without rounded corners.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:50 pm

This isn't a very good picture, but if you screws look like these, a #2 square bit fits. It is a double square rather than a torx. Most of the trailers have them. I think it is an inside joke on the part of the manufactures. They like to see us scratching our heads when nothing normal fit it!
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby guardcompany » Sat May 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Enjoying your build thread. I am also towing with a 2nd Gen Tacoma with a shell.
guardcompany
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wookie97 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:21 pm

Installed the Fan on my trailer today as well. Youre right, the torx bits do not fit. The Square drive bits fit perfect though.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby CGRotorhead » Wed May 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks for the input everyone:thumbsup: :beer: I'm pretty sure I tried the square #2 right after I tried the torx bits and it wouldn't work. I seriously had no problems using the screw extractors though and would recommend them to anyone esle. Maybe I'll go look for a different brand of #2 square :thinking:
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions