San Diego Lightweight Toy Hauler / Man Cave

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: San Diego Lightweight Toy Hauler / Man Cave

Postby guardcompany » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:16 pm

guardcompany
Teardrop Builder

Postby PaulzOx » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Made so more progress on the counter this weekend.

Also scored some plan white 15x30 cabinet doors from Ikea for $2 a piece.

PaulzOx
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulzOx » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Made some more progress on the cabinet today.

Yes I know there is a gap between the doors. I guess that's what you get when you buy $2 doors from ikea... 15x30 is not actually 15x30. They are actually 14 9/16 x 29 9/16. I have a plan to fix the gap so I will see if it will work out.

PaulzOx
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby funengineer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:48 am

You should be able to screw and glue a mullion to your frames to fill in the space PaulzOx or you could attach a false mullion behind one door in each opening so it appears to be a mullion. Nice build by the way.

Sent from my tractor seat.
funengineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PaulzOx » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 pm

funengineer wrote:You should be able to screw and glue a mullion to your frames to fill in the space PaulzOx or you could attach a false mullion behind one door in each opening so it appears to be a mullion. Nice build by the way.

Funegineer, thanks for the ideas. I will play around with them and see how it turns out. I like the idea of a fake mullion so I can maintain having a wider opening. I am learning a lot doing this build.

PaulzOx
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby Id10t » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:56 am

funengineer wrote:You should be able to screw and glue a mullion to your frames to fill in the space PaulzOx or you could attach a false mullion behind one door in each opening so it appears to be a mullion. Nice build by the way.

If the doors are smooth you can also use 3M VHB tape to attach the mullions. CV62F tape is what we have had the best results with. If you put ND magnets in each one the doors would also stay closed.
Id10t
Teardrop Builder

Postby PaulzOx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:46 am

Id10t wrote:If the doors are smooth you can also use 3M VHB tape to attach the mullions. CV62F tape is what we have had the best results with. If you put ND magnets in each one the doors would also stay closed.

ID10T,

First I have to say I like your screen name, I use it at least once a week "you need to fill out your ID10T form and route it".

second, my doors are smooth and really like the idea of using double sided tape to ad a false mullion. Thanks for the idea.

Paul
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulzOx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:52 am

Anyone have any ideas or info on a fold down sink that's is not expensive?
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby Id10t » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:11 pm

PaulzOx wrote:
Id10t wrote:If the doors are smooth you can also use 3M VHB tape to attach the mullions. CV62F tape is what we have had the best results with. If you put ND magnets in each one the doors would also stay closed.

ID10T,

First I have to say I like your screen name, I use it at least once a week "you need to fill out your ID10T form and route it".

second, my doors are smooth and really like the idea of using double sided tape to ad a false mullion. Thanks for the idea.

Paul

Thanks, The name goes back to my early tech years and onsite support. Dealing with ID10T errors is still a common thing unfortunately. I'm always surprised when I can the screen name on a forum.

The best place to get the VHB Tape is your local Auto Body Shop Fastener Wholesaler. Yes they really exist and if you like fasteners you wont want to leave. I never knew there were so many ways to attach things made out of plastic in one place. I never knew that many fasteners could get me exited. The things I have planned now. Well maybe that's why I'm an ID10T.

What do you mean by Folding Sink?
Id10t
Teardrop Builder

Postby PaulzOx » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:32 pm

Id10t wrote:Thanks, The name goes back to my early tech years and onsite support. Dealing with ID10T errors is still a common thing unfortunately. I'm always surprised when I can the screen name on a forum.

The best place to get the VHB Tape is your local Auto Body Shop Fastener Wholesaler. Yes they really exist and if you like fasteners you wont want to leave. I never knew there were so many ways to attach things made out of plastic in one place. I never knew that many fasteners could get me exited. The things I have planned now. Well maybe that's why I'm an ID10T.

What do you mean by Folding Sink?

I mean that the faucet portion will fold down in to the sink so you can cover it. like the sinks in a pop up trailer.
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulzOx » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:26 pm

I figured out the cabinet door gap thanks to ideas from fellow forum members.

I made false face trim pieces. The trim pieces that are on the non hinge side hang over about 1/4 inch each so the fill the gap that was in between.

I even beveled the edges of each trim piece to give it a fanshie smanchie look. I had to use my Dremel router attachment clamped down vertically.

I am very happy with how it turned out, especially because I have never built cabinets before.

PaulzOx
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Very nice! Great idea on the trim.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:09 pm

Very Nice! :applause:
I had a set of cabinets once that had a strip attached to the back of one door that filled the gap and appeared to be the vertical between the doors, so you would think there was four holes, not two. It was always in the way and you had to remember to shut that door first. Your solution looks great. Well done.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby PaulzOx » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:23 am

flboy wrote:Very nice! Great idea on the trim.

McDave wrote:Very Nice! :applause:
I had a set of cabinets once that had a strip attached to the back of one door that filled the gap and appeared to be the vertical between the doors, so you would think there was four holes, not two. It was always in the way and you had to remember to shut that door first. Your solution looks great. Well done.

McDave

Don and McDave,

Thank you, I can't take all the credit though. As McDave described above having the false vertical behind the doors, I just decided to put it in the front.

With all the amazing builds on here like both of yours. I get great ideas from.

Paul
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulzOx » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Look at what showed up today!

Trim pieces... Time to make my trailer look sexy

PaulzOx
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions