factory cargo conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

factory cargo conversion

Postby 57speedster » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:31 am

This is a perfect factory built cargo conversion.
http://www.hyperlitetrailers.com/
The price is way too steep and it's more fun to build one anyway. I figure I can get a brand new Interstate cargo 6 x 10 with a rv door for $3000 and go from there. Everything else is quite simple.

Anyone know a good source for windows?
Dualsports, Adventure riding, and Street bikes. Get out and ride your 2 wheels.
www.my2wheels.com
57speedster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rainjer17 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:09 pm

i agree, nice but pricey! today i ordered mine & made the deposit, & should be picking it up in 4wks. FYI mine is a 6x10 Haulin (made by US Cargo) with optional vee nose, torsion axle, radial tires, 1 24x30 sliding window, 6 foot high interior, rear jack stands, roof vent, rv door latch, plus more for $2720 with me picking it up at the factory! this does not include Michigan sales tax or plates (ours are 1 time permanent fee, $75 for this size) SHOP AROUND and you can get alot of trailer for under $3k

good luck, Denny
rainjer17
Teardrop Builder

Nice rig

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:31 pm

Hey 57Speedster,

that is nice but like rainjer17 said, there is a lot you can do with a standard cargo for the money spent on a pre conversion like that. As far as windows, mine were obtained from Bontragers up in White pigeion Mi for $25 each. That is a far cry from the $100 plus they wanted to install my dads on his new trailer and he had (3) installed before we did mine, and he wished he had just done them himself but it was too late.

http://bontragers.com/site/index.php/pa ... urplus-Inc

(They also have a store on eBay)

The windows were easy enough to install; it just took time. Mine is still far from done but I have been working on it every chance I get over the winter months and have had a blast doing it myself. I want it done real bad before the '08 camping season starts.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby 57speedster » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:18 am

Nitrox,
I took a look at your album and noticed the window installation. It looks like you had to cut one of the studs to fit the window. Looks pretty slick! I've been wondering how to fit windows larger than the 16" on center studs. I see you weded a box around the opening to support the stud. Nice work.

Will
Last edited by 57speedster on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.my2wheels.com
57speedster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 57speedster » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:25 am

The price for the trailer is well under $3k and I could have windows added at the factory for $120 each. The asking price is about $2700 with roof vent,torsion axle, spare tire, rv door, tie downs, rear jacks, front jack and pad, and all the other bells and whistles. The 6x12 is about $2900. I think it's a pretty fair price. It includes shipping too, which is much better than driving 300 miles to Arizona.
Will
www.my2wheels.com
57speedster
Teardrop Inspector

Thanks

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:49 am

Will,

Thanks for the thumbs up. It was work putting in the windows because I had to remove the paneling and loosen the outside skin around the window area, but the paneling had to be removed anyway so I could insulate the trailer so it worked out well. The window was boxed in with 1" tubing. My dad had purchased the windows, the tubing and the internal 12V lights but never installed. I purchased the trailer off him for $1,200 because he wanted a larger one and new back in 1995 the cost was $2,100 with no bells or whistles. He has helped me with all the projects so three trips to Michigan have been made thus far with at least one more in April. Mine has the Torsion axles too. I didn't have the door latch though. That was harder to install than the windows if you can believe that. Your trailer will be a bit bigger than my 6X10 but more space can always be nice. I wanted one to use for Boondocking on dive trips (w/ lots of dive gear) and for hauling the lawn mower or motorcycle if need be. The duel purpose was the way to go for me.
What do you plan to use your trailer for and what projects do you have planned?
You could save a lot of money putting the windows in after the fact. I don't know if you plan to insulate the trailer. They get real hot (in your case) inside once the sun gets a cookin and this will be a great time to do the windows like I said earlier. Ebay has a slew of windows going even with the boycott (as of yesterday).
I was thinking of building bunks inside but I think I'm going to buy some pre made (photo album). I have a bulkhead shelving unit that is 79% done but has to be completed then installed (April). Once this is done I will pretty much have it.

Again, Good luck and like I have learned; "Post Pictures" as you progress through your conversion.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby rainjer17 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:33 am

Nitroxjunkie71, nice conversion, any finished interior photos by chance?

Denny
rainjer17
Teardrop Builder

Postby rainjer17 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:35 am

double post, sorry
rainjer17
Teardrop Builder

Not yet!

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:16 am

Hi Denny,

I only have the photos that are in my album. The project has not yet come to fruition so I have yet been unable to get some closing shots. I will though in April when my shelving unit is complete and everything is put in it's place. I will be camping Gilboa Stone Quarry in Ohio the last weekend of April and that is when I can post some photos of the old girl in action. :twisted:
Thanks for the compliments. I like it a lot but there is still more to do. Like I said earlier though, that's the fun part for me. I like the thought that I can set it up just the way "I" want it.

Where are you located up in Michigan? I am from Battle Creek.

Take care.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby rainjer17 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:33 am

i'm up n over in Saginaw, same here as far as "getting what i want". my mods for this year will be limited to painting the interior and minor mods/improvements with my wish list being made up on each trip i make. i have to be careful not to get carried away and compromise my dual purpose needs.for now i just want to use and enjoy! looking forward to your progress. regards Denny
rainjer17
Teardrop Builder

Cool

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:12 pm

I have a friend from Sanford that works at the Dow plant in Midland up that way.
I too don't want to compromise the duel purpose use of my trailer. The bulkhead compartment will be fully removable so I will still have a full open floor plan if need be with little effort.
I will continue to post my progress; please do the same once you get there :thumbsup: .

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby 57speedster » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:50 pm

Nitrox,
This trailer will be used to haul 1or 2 dual sport dirtbikes and have a nice place to sleep for the night.
I go on motorcycle trips with my friends and they usually have self contained RV's.
I'd like two beds that can also be used for a dining area. I plan on having a sink, fridge/cooler, radio,and plenty of lighting. I'll run some small storage cabinets along the length of the trailer at the top and I'll have my sink and counter with cabinets below it in the front. air conditioner is a possibility too.
I actually plan on making it identical to the hyperlite link I submitted.

When I'm not camping it would still be useable as a cargo trailer. The bed's will all fold up.
www.my2wheels.com
57speedster
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions