Door handle

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Door handle

Postby drcurran » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi all -
New to this site, and I just purchased a used 2006 Danzier 6 X 12 with the hopes of "converting" it to a TT that can easily and quickly be converted back to a Cargo Trailer.
First issue - putting a flush mount RV style door lock on the side door. I purchased the lock, made by Fastec Ind., seems well made, but it did not come with a template to help cut the door. I've installed lots of door lock (in my home) and they always come with t template. Any help someone can give would be very much appreciated.

Dan

PS - I've already contacted Fastec, but have not heard back from them.
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:29 am

First off remove the door completely when doing this project. I did the latch first with just barely enough room to work and that was with the side, top and bottom trim pieces removed. The door brackets hold the skin tight. When I insulated the door (as you probably will too) I removed the door and wished I had when doing the latch.

The latch will be installed from the outside in. You will have to cut a hole in the outside skin (hole only needs to be large enough for the assembly to fit through) after determining location (Location is totally up to you) and trim some wood from the inside frame support to allow for this to set flush. You should be able to figure that out from the photo's

I removed the trim pieces of the door and pulled back the luan and tin after removing about a thousand staples. I put the latch end flush with the frame of the door. You will have to use a rasp or something to remove some wood for this to fit but it's easy especially if you remove the door from the trailer. I also made a framework around the latch for support when securing the two halves together because there is nothing there for support.

Here is the door without the skin and showing the support built around the latch location.

I would get the latch in even if you don't have the correct depth. Get an idea as to where the hole needs to be cut in the outer trim piece and make get that hole cut. Once that is done you can put the outer trim piece in place and work on the depth portion. I made mine flush with the outer trim when complete. My dads new trailer has a trim piece that covers over the door opening where as mine don't so this is only what I have done here. I would think it's pretty much the same though.

Now, when your done with that installation, I would recommend going to a trailer shop and picking up a latch bucket for a couple of bucks. My dad had his latch installed when they made his trailer but they didn't include this bucket. All the trailers with latches at the local trailer shop I use have them already installed.

Figure out where the hole nees to be and cut it out so the bucket will fit.

Once that is done, add some silicone and it's finished.

Now wasn't that easy?
:?
Last edited by Nitroxjunkie71 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:33 am

great how-to post! :applause: :applause: :applause:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Door Handle

Postby drcurran » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:40 am

Thank you Nitroxjunkie71-
What a great reply. I should be able to get this handle installed now.
I appreciate the time you took (and with pictures no less) to give some instruction.

Thanks
Dan
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:02 am

Your very welcome, I hope it helps :worship:. Speaking of Welcome's; Welcome aboard. Don't forget to take photos of this and any other project you do. Throw them in your album and you can help someone in the future when they have a question or hit a road block. This board is Great for that. Keep us posted on your progress and I look forward to seeing the results.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby planovet » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:52 am

Nice job Jeff! :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Door lock

Postby crankshaft » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Jeff.

Be careful with that door when moving.

Several years ago I also installed a similar latch in the side door of my cargo conversion..

Looked and worked great. Until I drove several miles over a twistin and sometimes bumpy road.. The trailer body started to do the twist and the door latch became un latched. Good thing it was not a suicide door I may have lost the entire door.

I had to install an additional outside latch to prevent the door opening again when moving.

Best of luck.. I've sure been enjoying my cargo conversion.

Crankshaft in San Diego.
crankshaft
Teardrop Advisor

Door Handle

Postby drcurran » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:09 pm

Thank you crankshaft-
I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but the cargo trailer has a cam lock on the door. I'm only putting the RV style door latch on so when staying in it I can get in and out. During travel I plan to use the cam lock. Also, I will put another set of "cam lock holders" on the non door side of the cam lock so I can lock the cam lock bar in the open position - don't need some prankster locking me in. I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks

Dan
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions