6 X 12 Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6 X 12 Conversion

Postby edcasey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:45 pm

Hi everyone.
Last edited by edcasey on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:43 am

NO NO NO post the inside photos now please. This one has me pumped up. I know it is more than i will ever do, But i can't wait to see some more of this trailer. Welcome to the site and thanks for joining in with us. We will have lots of questions for you for sure. :applause:
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby slyeager » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:31 am

Nice conversion, can't wait to see the inside....
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby Outlaw » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:53 am

Very, VERY NICE :thumbsup:

Interior pics please? Even if it's not finished yet :twisted:
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby PresTx82 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:26 pm

I like it!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Cool.

What do you have running off your bank of batteries? Do you have solar too, or do you just charge up the battery bank at home?

And yes, interior photos... we gotta see the rest of your goodies! ;) :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:42 pm

WOW!
:thumbsup: :applause: :clapping hands: :snappy:
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby edcasey » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I'll get some interior pictures posted very soon (as soon as i clean up my painting mess). It's amazing how projects like this evolve. When we first started, my wife and I sat down and drew a plan. We followed the plan and finished the interior and where very happy with it. Then one day I bought a 3 year old pop-up for parts. A tree had fallen on it so it wasn't worth fixing. The pop-up had a cassette toilet and shower setup that the original owner never used. We decided we wanted to install it in our camper so out came our entire interior. We had to rearrange the interior to make it fit. We also decided the color was a little too dark so we are repainting it.

As far as the batteries go, they are used to power a 1200 watt inverter. We take our camper once a year to a Nascar race. The race track makes everyone shut off their generators at 10pm so after that there are no air conditioners running. It seems like mother nature is against us and makes that weekend extra hot and humid. With 4 fully charged batteries, we're able to run our air conditioner most if not all of the night (it just depends on what time we finally decide to call it a night). It's only 5000 BTU's and draws very little amperage. It's really funny to have people who spent $500,000 for their motorhomes sweating from the humidity while we are comfortable in our little homemade camper. I don't have a solar panel on it yet but it's very high on my priority list and it will definitely be on for next year.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby devigata » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:20 am

Oh, MY! :ok:

That's much more ambitious than our plans, and it's beautiful! Looking forward to the interior pics.
devigata
Donating Member

Postby Tx River Rat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 am

Edcasey
I really like your setup.
A couple questions
On running the ac from batteries , Have you had any problems running it on a 1200 Watt inverter and what amp hour are your batteries.
I have seen a set up on the Aliner forum that was similar but he called for a 3 thousand watt inverter, 1200 watter would be much cheaper.
How long does it take to charge your batteries and what kind of charger.
Boy I am nosy :twisted:
Thanks
Ron
Oh yea does all that weight in the rear affect your towing
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Arne » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:27 am

Can you tell us how much it weighs, and what you tow it with.

Being able to run a/c at night with no generator is great.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby edcasey » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi,
T
Last edited by edcasey on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby brian_bp » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Very slick!

Since the rear isn't being used for an outside galley, the use of the stock doors for utility access is a great feature.
:applause:

I assume that the vent in the right-hand rear door is an air intake for the air conditioner, which exhausts directly out the left-hand door (or vice versa). A very simple but effective design.
:thumbsup:

I agree that the SRM-24 type battery is not ideal for the application because it is a compromise deep cycle/ starting design, while the U2200 are more likely to be proper deep-cycle units (although they are strangely listed as "Deep Cycle/Cranking" as well) and usually better priced per unit of capacity; I notice that when listed under Industrial, that same U2200 is described as strictly "deep cycle". The voltage isn't the important feature.

Is that water heater actually mounted in the left door?
:thinking:

My only concern (similar to Ron's) is that most of the heavy items are at the very back (water heater, batteries, air conditioner), and the propane tanks are very far forward, so it seems like the mass is concentrated at the ends. This is opposite of the situation desired for best stability (mass concentrated in the middle), which may be why the sway control is apparently needed for a modestly sized trailer. I assume that the tongue weight is okay because the axle is suitably far back. What's the current tow vehicle? (Or was that listed and I missed it?)
:QM
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby slyeager » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:46 pm

My only concern (similar to Ron's) is that most of the heavy items are at the very back (water heater, batteries, air conditioner), and the propane tanks are very far forward, so it seems like the mass is concentrated at the ends. This is opposite of the situation desired for best stability (mass concentrated in the middle), which may be why the sway control is apparently needed for a modestly sized trailer. I assume that the tongue weight is okay because the axle is suitably far back. What's the current tow vehicle? (Or was that listed and I missed it?)

Depends on how the inside is layed out, there may be plenty of wieght in the front also.......need pics!!
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby edcasey » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:46 pm

g.jpg[/img]
Last edited by edcasey on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions