Ford Ranger towing a Pace 6 x 12 enclosed trailer?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

towing

Postby drcurran » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:34 pm

I drag a 6 X 12 around with not too much stuff in it with a 2007 Rav 4 with the big 6 and it does OK. My CT is not yet set up as a "camper" still dreaming about that day. I found using the cruise control when towing uses a lot more gas (13 mpg with CC / 17 mpg with out). Problem is when we come to an up grade the CC "floors" it to try to keep the speed up. Just my .02

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Re: Ford Ranger towing a Pace 6 x 12 enclosed trailer?

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:15 pm

I pull my 6+ X 11 gypsy trailer with a 2000 Ranger 3.0 with auto trans. It pulls OK for a little truck.

ronaldito wrote:Has anyone tried pulling a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with a Ford Ranger. Im thinking a v6 3.0 liter engine, theres also a 2.3 and a 2.5 . Has anyone tried to pull this size with similiar engine size, I wont load the trailer heavy, just the conversion... I just like to know if wind drag or hills will be a major factor. before I buy a newer vehicle.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby cguardsman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:07 am

you'd get cussed at around the ozarks as you would be struggling up the hills.
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:52 am

cguardsman wrote:you'd get cussed at around the ozarks as you would be struggling up the hills.

I say they should have left earlier or waited longer before leaving.Mine has no problem.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Prem » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Geez Louise.
:shock:
After reading about your gas mileage, I think I will keep my Dodge 1-ton extended van with the 360 CI V8. My mileage is too close to yours to think of going to something lighter with a smaller engine.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Towing

Postby drcurran » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Prem -
I'm with you. I'm giving a lot of consideration to trading in my Rav 4 for a Ford F150. In figuring a 1000 mile trip would cost me about $50 ( at $2.60 a gal for gas) more to tow with the F150 than the Rav4. And I think in the long run the wear on the F150 pulling a CT would be less than the Toyota. OK just my .02

Dan
Last edited by drcurran on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:51 am

My friend Joel traded in his Dakota for a full-size Dodge PU with a small V8 and gets better fuel efficiency towing with the bigger engine by 2-3 MPG. :CC

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:43 am

I've towed all manner of U-haul trailers with my Mazda/Ranger. I had the B2300 (2.3L 4-cyl) 2wd 5-speed extended cab model. It was a slug without a trailer, it was about the same with a trailer. The limiting factor is the frontal area, the more "sail" the worse it was. I usually towed the open trailers or the shorter enclosed 4x8, but one time they didn't have any in stock so I towed a 5X8 from FL to TX. Like I said from the get go, it was still a slug but towed fine.

On the other hand, we used to tow the tear with my wife's Toyota Highlander (2.4L 4-cyl) 2wd automatic, it tows the tear just fine. We've towed it up the mountains and deserts fine. We weren't the fastest thing going up the steep grades, but we were faster than the trucks.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby digimark » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Diesel. Just going to say it. Diesel engines have plenty of torque for pulling, have better than gasoline burn rates (offset if diesel per gallon price is higher than regular unleaded), and the new diesels are as quiet and "green" as some hybrids with the ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel sold now. I have a Mercedes diesel SUV (yes, it's expensive, but it's my daily driver and I have to have my toys!) which gets the rated 21 city/27 highway all he time; 19 mpg when towing my 6x10.

Unfortunately the cheapest diesel PU is a Ford F250 at roughly $10K more base price (according to my look through Edmunds.)

In the Ford Ranger group starting at $15K, if you are in doubt about pulling performance, go for the six-cylinder engine. You're making the right considerations, but the extra fuel a 6-cyl burns will be justified when towing, and won't make a big difference to your daily driving.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:34 pm

We no longer use my wife's SUV to tow and travel. It gets around 24MPG but it drops down to around 19 when we tow the tear. Since getting rid of my Mazda/Ranger I got a Toyota Tundra. The Tundra gets 17-18 with or without the tear. It also has more room which makes packing and unpacking easier.

If you are set on getting a small truck, I'd stay away from the 3.0. Go with either the 2.3(2.5?) or the 4.0, I've known a couple people with the 3.0 and they weren't happy with it. You'd think that it is a compromise between the 2.3 and the 4.0, but it isn't. It isn't much more powerful than the 2.3 but sucks almost as much gas as the 4.0.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Prem » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:36 pm

Check how highly rated these are:

Ford F-150
:thumbsup:

My son's next vehicle after being a hardcore Toyota Tacoma fan & owner for years.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby mdvaden » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:29 am

Right now I'm pulling my 6x12 with a Chev full size and V-8. But am having thoughts that I wished I'd got a smaller truck or engine. The truck is mainly for pulling more weight in my utility trailer for business.

But I used to do okay with a 4.3 liter some years ago in a full size. Got off the line slower but it moved along with 4000 lbs behind.

A 6 x12 is not very heavy though - maybe just 2000 lbs loaded.

I'm thinking a Ford Ranger next time - even for work.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Mario,

That could be good. But there is that loss of fuel efficiency towing with a smaller, underpowered engine. Plus, with a narrower tow vehicle the rear view mirrors often need extensions. My son got twelve towing his trailer with the Toyota Tacoma, 4-cylinder. I got 12 towing it with my V-8 and I had lots of power on hills maintaining freeway speed. He was bogged down to 35MPH.

Prem :o
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby cguardsman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:44 am

southpennrailroad wrote:
cguardsman wrote:you'd get cussed at around the ozarks as you would be struggling up the hills.

I say they should have left earlier or waited longer before leaving.Mine has no problem.

Say what you will but the 4cyl. ranger is a gutless wonder at best. It was never really meant to tow much and on hills is inadequate. Given the they should have left earlier comment, it is also very unsafe to creep along when everyone else is doing highway speeds.
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby ratwhacker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:47 pm

I strongly question the towing rating of the Ranger stats someone posted, too. A four cylinder towing 6000 pounds????? My V-6, 260 horse Nissan Frontier is only rated at 6500 pounds towing, and I sure wouldn't do tow anything that weighed that much, as the truck itself only weighs 4000 pounds.

The reason I bought the V-6 was because I loaded down a four cylinder for a hunting trip out West and got passed going UPhill by semis, it just couldn't make the grade with a 140 horse 4 banger (in fairness, the little truck was loaded pretty heavy).

Above all, be careful and don't overwork a small motor with a big trailer, it can swap ends awfully quick if you're not really careful. A panic stop is almost guaranteed to stuff you up.
ratwhacker
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions