Rear door design

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Rear door design

Postby laxrebel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:43 pm

Just joined. Great site. Had been doodling on my own about CT conversion designs for a year or so. Am looking hard at a 7x12 V-nose. I have seen only a few ideas using a rear door instead of a side door. Rear door floor plans would provide much extra space inside trailer. Similar to traditional truck camper floor plans. Experiences or thoughts about this alternative?
laxrebel
Teardrop Inspector

Postby devigata » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Welcome to the forum... You'll find a lot of ideas here.

While we are happy with our design, I don't see why a rear door wouldn't work. And you're right. It would afford more room inside.

You must be planning an inside galley (or no galley). What type of camping do you do?
devigata
Donating Member

Postby campinwi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:49 pm

I have a 6 x 10 cargo trailer with a side door and rear barn doors. I like the side door for ventilation reasons. My husband built a screen door, so when the trailer door is open, I have a 32 x 54 inch window.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby edcasey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi and welcome to the site! I think the 7 X 12 is a great size. We have a 6 X 12 and wish we had gone 7 X 12 or 7 X 14.
My only experience with a rear door was on a commercial camper. Skyline made a 15' camper in 2007 and 2008 with a rear door. It was the Nomad 150 LTD. The dealership I worked at sold them. Like any unique RV they got a lot of attention from customers but unfortunately didn't sell well. The main complaint was the entry door not being under the awning in case of rain. Also, some people felt it wouldn't work well for smaller camp sites like state forests because they often have to back all the way up putting the rear door right up against a tree, drop-off, retaining wall.... These may not be factors for you but I thought I'd mention them.

edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby FireLion » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:59 am

IMHO, the side awning seems useless. What would be better would be an awning on the back to shelter the door. What were the designers thinking? :roll:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby digimark » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:50 pm

FireLion wrote:IMHO, the side awning seems useless. What would be better would be an awning on the back to shelter the door. What were the designers thinking? :roll:

I agree, in this application it would have been better to have an awning in the back. Although -- does anyone make an awning that small in width?

The Skyline Nomad has the feel of an old Gypsy wagon with the single rear door. You could put a small standing porch on that...
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Nomads and Laytons

Postby laxrebel » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:27 pm

Did not know this floor plan was marketed under Nomad too. May be worth a look. The Layton nameplate seems to have a large dinette-queen bed instead of the two gauchos. Wife and I are both 70. Need separate beds so we stop kicking each other! Mainly travel camping for a few days then move on. Always used to cook outside when we had a pop-up (full galley inside was never used in five years). Not sure about the future, but we do like to cook while camping. RE: CT, I even toyed with the idea of leaving the rear ramp in place and using it as an elevated patio, maybe even having a screened enclosure made. If you've camped in the upper midwest, you know about screened rooms!
laxrebel
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:23 am

campinwi wrote:I have a 6 x 10 cargo trailer with a side door and rear barn doors. I like the side door for ventilation reasons. My husband built a screen door, so when the trailer door is open, I have a 32 x 54 inch window.

"BARN DOORS" I got barn doors :D

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Prem » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:50 pm

bobhenry,

Yes, we all know that you have barn doors.

(Psst! Your barn door is open.) :o LOL!

Hey, what is that...a pet door on the left side rear of your trailer? That's quite the jump for your Chihuahua or your cat!

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 am

I have an attack Scottish Terrier just like my hero Gage!

And she barks to enter I am her doorman !

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Prem » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 am

What make and model is that DO? Nice!

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:13 pm

No make no model ! The only markings on it is a number "10" cast into the lid. Which is 10" in diameter. It is older than dirt and smooth as a babys butt inside. Wife's brother was big into antiques and it had been in his basement 42 years and was God only knows how old when he purchased it at an antique auction. Came with a 14" dutch oven just as old and an ancient sand casted spider skillet and a 1954 Coleman lantern without a blemish. He was moving and the clutter was gone. He knew we were camping and gave them all to us.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi, laxrebel:

I'm guessing that when you're talking about a CT conversion, you mean Cargo Trailer conversion. A really nice one that I've seen has both a side door and back doors. You can look at his album here:

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... er_id=7611
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Prem » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:30 pm

bobhenry,

Wowzer! That's a story. I knew it was not a modern reproduction by the shape and volume, but I also never saw a really old DO that had cast legs!

Nice dog too.

Sharon,

Okay. You're hired to run my sales department!

Opps! I don't have a sales department, but thanks for the compliment.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby jeep9806 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:57 pm

I had a ramp rear door on my 6x12, i turned it into a drop down canvas sleeper area, it folds up when in transit. Doing so almost doubled my living area inside the trailer. Just a thought...
Todd
jeep9806
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions