2010 Forest River Work & Play "Take it EZ" Toy

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

2010 Forest River Work & Play "Take it EZ" Toy

Postby michiganflipper » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:04 pm

has any one had a chance to take a look at this yet http://www.trailersusa.com/item_detail.asp?id=41227 the one i looked at was just like this one and had a price tag of $10,500 on sale for $9,800
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 pm

heck of a price for an air bed. HAHAHAHA
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dreadcptflint » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:20 am

It's an interesting design. If you are into your toys then it would be worth a look.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Prem » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:36 am

Nice trailer for a factory job. I especially like the operable, deluxe, dual-directional air vent on the rear passenger's side low.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby digimark » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:01 pm

I like it -- not only does it give me ideas for my trailer, but it essentially legitimizes what we've been doing with our cargo trailer conversions. This is the first factory-built version I've seen. OK, so it's roughly 7'x14' and tall enough to stand in, which is bigger than my 6'x10' chopped trailer. But a lot of the same elements are there... heat and A/C, 12V and 120V power, an exterior galley with sink and cooktop, microwave, fits in a garage (just not my 81" MAX garage.) A camper that can also be a cargo trailer on all the other days.

Did you guys note the detachable tongue hitch and the TV antenna on the front that sits below the roofline? Also, they used an A/C window unit in the front lower wall, not the usual roof mount thing. (Probably to keep the height down.)

Maybe other manufacturers will pick up on the idea. -Gary
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby Alan Wood » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:23 pm

Now that is an interesting design. Hm probably to big to tow with my tacoma though. :thinking:
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby tkrrox » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:59 pm

tkrrox
Teardrop Inspector

Postby vantexan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:47 pm

I really like this trailer. Did some surfing around and found they also offer a 16' model. It's almost the same but has dual axles, 2 0verhead lights inside instead of one, and the cargo floor is 2 ft longer. The 14' is plenty for me but I'm wondering how long do these trailers last? I'd like to get a molded fiberglass Oliver but I can have 3 0f these for 1 Oliver. And before anyone says it, I have no skills whatsoever, wouldn't begin to try what you do! But I do greatly admire what you folks do, keep coming by to see the latest ideas. This weekend is the first time I've looked at the cargo trailer forum and immediately knew this was for me. I've got a 2000 F-150 in good shape with the 4.6lt V8 so basicly I've got to save some bucks for this model. If anyone can give me an idea how durable these trailers are, assuming no serious offroading, I'd appreciate it. And also are water leaks a problem that has to be addressed? I've sunk alot of money into a '98 26' TT that I bought new. It's had issues that make me certain I want small and simple, and built to last!
vantexan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby meach4x4 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:33 am

digimark wrote:Also, they used an A/C window unit in the front lower wall, not the usual roof mount thing. (Probably to keep the height down.)

Maybe other manufacturers will pick up on the idea. -Gary

Aliner and several other popup tent trailers are putting wall mount a/c units in. The come with a vinyl boot covering them, and they protrude from the sidewall about 4". I am a little leary of having something sticking out from the side of my trailer, but a friend stuck one out the back of his TD. It looked a little funky, but it worked great. Since he lived in AZ, he needed air, for sure!

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby digimark » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:41 pm

vantexan wrote:...And before anyone says it, I have no skills whatsoever, wouldn't begin to try what you do!

Honestly I was clueless when I started working on mine, and mostly still clueless. Many of the people here take an existing cargo trailer, strip them down, insulate them and then build them up to the works of art they become. I took the easy way -- ordered a trailer with all the right bones (insulation, electric, etc.) and I'm re-learning wood shop from middle school to make shelves, cabinets and bunks. You can do this -- just draw out what you want to do, ask a lot of questions, and be prepared to do things twice or three times until you get it right!

Returning to the subject of this topic -- these look nice but I also wonder if they will be as sturdy as a cargo trailer converted.

The fenders on my trailer stick out further than the A/C would, so there's no real worry about it sticking out too far. But an A/C mounted through the wall would need some kind of cover, if for no other reason to dissuade people from flattening the radiator fins.
Last edited by digimark on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby vantexan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:54 pm

digimark wrote:
vantexan wrote:...And before anyone says it, I have no skills whatsoever, wouldn't begin to try what you do!

Honestly I was clueless when I started working on mine, and mostly still clueless. Many of the people here take an existing cargo trailer, strip them down, insulate them and then build them up to the works of art they become. I took the easy way -- ordered a trailer with all the right bones (insulation, electric, etc.) and I'm re-learning wood shop from middle school to make shelves, cabinets and bunks. You can do this -- just draw out what you want to do, ask a lot of questions, and be prepared to do things twice or three times until you get it right!

Returning to the subject of this topic -- these look nice but I also wonder if they will be as sturdy as a cargo trailer converted.

I appreciate the encouragement, but for me it's more about the travel than anything else. And I live in a RV park too, no garage or shop. If it has an all metal body and frame it should be pretty sturdy. Those cargo trailers on the other hand look bombproof!
vantexan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby michiganflipper » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:01 am

digimark wrote:

The fenders on my trailer stick out further than the A/C would, so there's no real worry about it sticking out too far. But an A/C mounted through the wall would need some kind of cover, if for no other reason to dissuade people from flatting the radiator fins.

If i can get a chance I will stop by th dealer and get some photos of how they have the a/c mounted in the trailer and the cover they have on it
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby michiganflipper » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:31 pm

here are the pics of the a/c unit instaled for the factory
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/28 ... 5344LQzYwW
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby digimark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Awesome pictures, thanks.

So the A/C is entirely within the cabin/cabinet of the trailer, and they only provide vent louvers to vent the hot air? I wonder how much heated air actually stays inside. And a drip pan... well, that's one way I guess.

Seeing the screws just run in and the exposed other end just reminds me that the construction is all about what you can see and the stuff you can't see, is *uggg-leeee*.

I noticed a lot of RV brochures are touting how you can remove the TV and install it outside. It's so easy to do that -- just buy two mounts, and install one inside and one outside. I picked up two (up to) 40lb mount online during a sale for $20/each -- easy!
--
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby vantexan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:09 pm

Can someone give an opinion on whether this is workable? Could the bottom of this carrier be cut out:

http://members.shaw.ca/nobid/

and the carrier be mounted over hole cut in roof of the Take-it-EZ toyhauler? Would give excellent stand up height. I'd ask mftr to make one with locks reversed to open from the inside. My concern is messing with structural integrity of trailer. Also would lose overhead lights. If stupid idea please tell me! Definitely getting one. Another idea is to get an OZtent to open ramp door into. Would make nice stand-up area then shut ramp at night to sleep. Thanks, Wade
vantexan
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions