So, I taped out some spacing today...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

So, I taped out some spacing today...

Postby Kixwy2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:53 am

I'm a fairly visual person, and I needed to see what a conversion would look like in real life size. With some painter's tape and a tape measure, I marked out a 6x12 trailer area with barn doors to get an idea of the spacing.

I allowed about 24" deep for the galley area, leaving me with about 10 feet to play with for the bed/living area. My current issues are: Where and how to place the bed, and how easy is it to put in a side door? I'm thinking about a fold out couch style bed, but should it go up against the back wall and fold out to the galley, or against the side wall and fold out into the space? :thinking:

If I do it right, I could end up with a 6ft x 5ft area that can be used for a dinette set or open changing area.

What do you guys do?

Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:40 am

My thought would be sofa on the side wall and a drop down table on the opposite wall. Flip up table and extend the sofa as a full or queen sleeper.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kixwy2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:55 am

Yeah, that was my thought too, but my "co-designer" decided he wanted the bed at the far end and more space. :roll:

Our problem appears to be door placement - the side door is usually to the front passenger side, at least in the models I've seen. So if we are still looking for open space, the bed has to go against the wall of the galley, which I don't really like because then the table and chair setup is at the hitch end, away from any food/water access.

Fortunately, being a shortie at 5'4" I can get away with the bed running the width of the trailer. :)

How do I post a better sized line drawing? This one resized to mini-me dimensions...
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:35 am

I always thought a murphy bed would look cool in a cargo conversion

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:23 am

I got "cargo envy" hanging around Jeff so I built The barn.

My 5x10 box doesn't leave a lot of space for a "living room" but with the bed in the sofa position it would make a cozy place to hide out from the rain.

Our galley is the last 2 feet and most of the cooking is done on the dutch oven table

With a 10 x 10 pop up over the rear of the barn we have a sheltered "kitchen" and setting area for dining or just conversation in the shade.

I threw the sofa/fullbed together just hours before our 1st outing using parts from a steel futon frame and some scrap lumber from work.
Total cost $5.00 free foam and all.

The center support stores under the sofa and is pulled out at night

Having only the rear entry has not been a problem for us which is some what suprising to me since we are robust people.
I would like to install a screen door at the galley wall but am somewhat reluctant to giving up the space it may require.

As we loaded for our last outing I had an epithany moment. By adding a bottom to the bed supports I will have little cubby holes for the cast iron the propane cooktop bag of charcoal and starter pots and pans and all the other hard to tote items :D

This is what it's all about GETTIN AWAY Image
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby FireLion » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:03 am

Anybody remember the 'old' murphy beds that swung or rolled out from a closet and then folded down? Sure wish I could find one of those. In a cargo trailer you could mount it against a side wall then swing it out and fold it down. When in the 'up' position, you'd have all sorts of room. :thinking:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:45 am

Have a single size antique one on my sun porch. Ornately carved and wrought iron hardware. Very late 1800 - 1910 vintage. Folded up it looks like a very ornate fireplace mantle about chest high.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kixwy2 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:47 am

bobhenry, I really like your idea of the slide out option! That made me think of a trundle bed styled bed. The "trundle" can live under the couch area and then slide out and pop up into place for sleeping.

I'm trying to run a fine line between using my space wisely and not being totally cramped with crap. It is camping, after all. :D
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions