My Project a Cargo Trailer for back country camping

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: My Project a Cargo Trailer for back country camping

Postby hankaye » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:37 am

meach4x4, Howdy;

Welcome back. Sounds good will be looking forward to seeing the photos
of what happened and how it turned out.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:47 pm

Sorry for the long delay from my last post. I was busy doing the build on my new Wells Cargo 5x10 cargo trailer, and then I found out that I basically had been swindled by Wells CArgo. I paid for the Ïnsulation option, which required the "liner option". After digging into the trailer I learned that the ïnsulation"was not the 1"foam board insulation like the dealer told me! What they put in was "bubble wrap" that has less r-value than just putting reflectix on the inside of the exterior wall. The "1"was the air gap between the bubble wrap and the liner. The first time I camped out in my trailer was on the rim of the Grand Canyon, and when the outside temp dropped to 25 degrees f. The interior of the trailer was the same temp. Then, I removed a section of inner liner and discovered that the insulation was this phoney bubble wrap that was aproximately 3/16"thick. Went back to the dealer to complain, and found out he sold out to a conglomerate chain of dealers (Trailer Source). after many months of waiting for Wells Cargo to give me some relief on the problem, they dug in their heals and basically said "You Got what You paid for", and Wells Cargo refused to make it good.

Sorry for his long sob story. I just want to let you all know why I haven't been posting for a while. Also, I would advise you to not buy any insulation package without getting an r factor guarantee. As for me, I will be researching how to fix the problem. The issue is my fancy new Road Force trailer has the wall panels glued to the frame with automotive 3m adhesive. So to remove the panels and install REAL unsulation, I would have to rip the interior panels off the frame, which would require replacing all the liners! Argh!

I' welcome any suggestions of how to fix this trailer. Other than the insulsulation, the trailer isn't all that bad. It is just about as warm to sleep in as a screen tent! :cry: :cry: :(
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:10 pm

You have my sympathy! :x

Sounds like, if you want insulation, you will have to tear out the existing interior panels, which will probably destroy them, then add insulation then attach new plywood panels with screws.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Apples » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:29 pm

meach, I hope to be up in southern Utah this spring. Gonna visit Matt's in Hurricane and do some easy trails and camp for a few days. I've a high-clearance 2WD F150, so it's a bid wider than a Jeep. I have to stick to easy routes due to the lack of 4WD, but I did see Matt's son Rudy make it to Toquerville Falls in his new-used 2WD Jeep Commanche!

:lol:

Point being I'd like to run into you somewhere maybe in town since I too am doing a 5 X 10 cargo conversion. It's been a lot of work and I'm just now fitting the 1/4" birch wall paneling over the 1" beadboard styrofoam insulation in the walls... I'll be using some foil-both-sides, double-layer bubble pack stuff (you can stack it triple-thick if you want) for the ceiling and interior front...

Safe travels and hope to see you in Utah!

:beer:
Apples
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions