My Project a Cargo Trailer for back country camping

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby digimark » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Wow, that green surface shines up nice.

I hope my comments earlier didn't sound too negative -- I'm a worrier by nature. Prem is a cheerleader, I wish I were more like him.

What were you thinking about in terms of insulation? It will make a world of difference keeping the temp down inside when you're out rock crawling a mesa...

The side door looks especially wide, a good thing. Easier to get in and out.

I'm looking forward to what you'll be doing with it.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby Ageless » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:41 pm

Yea, the dark green is pretty, but having spent time in Utah's deserts; you DO NOT want a dark color!!
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:42 pm

Prem wrote:Gil,

The former owner probably had a grand or TWO just in the graphic wrap! :cry:

How much is that model new now? $3,500?

You got a good one!

Prem :thumbsup:

Yeah, I have all his receipts. Just over $3,500 plus tax for the trailer plus another $1,200 for the vinyl wrap.

He even threw in a neat little hitch cart to move it around and a couple of those cargo divider bars that I may use to stabilize totes under the bed while I'm traveling. Or, maybe closet rods if I have to move in!
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:01 pm

Today I put a coat of wax on the now green trailer. I called the factory and ordered 2 30"x15" windows, 2 rear stabilizer jacks, roof rack, fantastic fan, and a 4" lift spacer kit. Then, I went over to Lowe'st and bought the parts for the bed and some vinyl for the floor. I let Willa pick out the tile. I was leaning towards some of the good ol' linoleum with the specs in it, but she went for some stick-on vinyl that is imitation terrazo. It looks fine, and I am happy to keep her interested in this project. :)

Of course, I HAD to get a new scroll saw, since my old one caughed up carbon the last time I used it, and it was too cheap to bother repairing it. See, that vinyl is already paying off. :twisted:

I came home and measured out the centerline of the floor*, then started laying down the vinyl. I got all the full pieces laid, and it is looking pretty good. I hope to get the partials cut and laid tomorrow morning, then start with the bed. My design is to make the bed convert to a couch so we can have a lot of room to move around during the day. Another requirement is that the bed has to be quickly removable, so when I need to haul something in the trailer I can pull it out.

Once the floor is in, I'll post some pics. Hopefully, I'll have the bed design built up and tested out tomorrow so I can verify the design, then post the plans and pics soon.

Later,

Gil

* Working on a cargo trailer is great! There was less than 1/16" difference in the floor width from the back door to the front, where the V starts to taper. I wish houses had steel frames!!!
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:17 pm

devigata wrote:Sweet!!! Did you know it was green before stripping off the wrap?

The registration said it was green. I wasn't sure if they called it green because the wrap had a bit of a light green tint to the white. So, I guess the answer is "No, I didn't really know what color it is."

I like it! It is gonna look real good parked up in the pines. 8)
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:24 pm

digimark wrote:Wow, that green surface shines up nice.

I hope my comments earlier didn't sound too negative -- I'm a worrier by nature. Prem is a cheerleader, I wish I were more like him.

What were you thinking about in terms of insulation? It will make a world of difference keeping the temp down inside when you're out rock crawling a mesa...

The side door looks especially wide, a good thing. Easier to get in and out.

I'm looking forward to what you'll be doing with it.

No worries! I like feedback, it makes you rethink and is always welcome. I didn't see yours as negative, at all. I am planning on doing the roof insulation after I get the Fantastic vent installed. It is on order.

My phase one of the build is to put flooring down, then the bed, then windows, then the ceiling/insulation, vent fan, lift, wheels/tires, stabilizers, and a roof rack.

So, I guess the plan is to start from the floor and move up! :)
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Ageless wrote:Yea, the dark green is pretty, but having spent time in Utah's deserts; you DO NOT want a dark color!!

Yeah, if I was ordering it new, I'd have ordered the silver, to match my jeep. But since it is geeen, I'll just have to use my California Duster more! I jeep with a guy who has a Jeep almost the same green as this trailer, and he was the one who introduced me to the California Duster. He used it a lot!

I have also considered some time down the road taping off and painting it silver with green highlights, kind of like the paint jobs on the new diesels. Of course, then I'd have to put green highlights on the Jeep, too. But then I may have to wash it! :shock:
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Bed

Postby drcurran » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:26 am

Hey Mech 4X4 - did you give any thought to going with an Airo type bed. Very comfortable, and while there is no storage under them, they are a snap to put up and take down, and then you have a "ton" of floor space and cargo room. I'm really not one to talk, I guess, 'cause I have not even started my build yet, and it has been at least a year since I got the CT. Good luck with your build.
Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby bc toys » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:44 pm

you mite think about the heat with the peal and stick tiles i used them the next day when i walked on them they moved everwhere it is to hot in trailer for the glue to stick
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Bed

Postby meach4x4 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:12 pm

drcurran wrote:Hey Mech 4X4 - did you give any thought to going with an Airo type bed. Very comfortable, and while there is no storage under them, they are a snap to put up and take down, and then you have a "ton" of floor space and cargo room. I'm really not one to talk, I guess, 'cause I have not even started my build yet, and it has been at least a year since I got the CT. Good luck with your build.
Dan

Thanks for your suggestion. I thought about it, but I am not a big fan of aero beds. I've slept them, and one went down in the middle of the night. Whenever I sleep on an air mattress or an aero bed, I wake up often, worrying about leakage. (Am I paranoid, or what? Also, I need to use the bed to cover totes with camp gear under. Another problem with an air bed is there is no insulation between you and the air temp. That means I'd have to keep the heat on all night to stay warm. With a foam pad, you are insulated from the cold.

My bed design will also be a couch when the bed is folded up. I want to be able to sit (not lay) inside the trailer and enjoy the warm on a cold day. I will be able to clear out the bed for cargo in a few minutes, as it will only be attached with a couple of screws.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 pm

bc toys wrote:you mite think about the heat with the peal and stick tiles i used them the next day when i walked on them they moved everwhere it is to hot in trailer for the glue to stick

I've used them a few times in heat. They do tend to move around a bit, but once the glue sets, they will stabilize. I am using boards with weights to hold them in place while they go through a few cycles of cold and hot. Also, I put them in there as tight as I could, then caulked the edge with silly cone, so it is an experiment. I was going down the path of using the old style glue and stick with commercial linoleum, but the financial executive voted for the fancy peel and stick. Wish me luck!

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 pm

I finished up the flooring today. The vinyl looks pretty good in there. My wife says they are "beautiful", so I guess the whole deal with peel n' stick is worth it, as long as she continues to be happy with the interior mods.

Here is the "before" pic:
And here is a pic after the vinyl is installed:
I used caulk around the base, instead of coving or baseboards. I just don't want to have anything more out on the floor than I absolutely need.

Tomorrow, I'll finally start on the bed install. Updates will follow.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Ageless » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Your desire for a bed and couch says . . . .futon

It keeps you up off the floor andd even gives you a bit of storage underneath
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby digimark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:51 pm

This has got nothing to do with anything, but I just came across this custom built off-road trailer and thought it was neat.

http://www.steelwheels4x4.info/
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:01 am

digimark wrote:This has got nothing to do with anything, but I just came across this custom built off-road trailer and thought it was neat.

http://www.steelwheels4x4.info/

How bizarre! That baby will be 10' above the ground with the loft raised up. Over 8'6" with it down!

I looked all over the write-up and there was no mention of weight. Just by looking at all the "stuff" he has in it, I am thinking it has to be over 2,000 lbs, in spite of the home brew kevlar construction.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions