This site is great! Introduction.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

This site is great! Introduction.

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Found this place a few weeks ago, and the information is invaluable. I'm getting ready to join the ranks of the "converted" for the same reasons most others did. Affordability, simplicity, durability, ability to customize, etc.

I'm just now starting to shop for the trailer, probably a 6 or 7 wide X 14, dual axle, preferably v-nose, and aluminum. Will be pulling it with an F-150 and V-8. Will pull it on many dirt mountain roads with wash boards. Dual axle is for added safety and stability (from my lifetime of experience towing boats all over the country.

Can anyone recommend some specifics that fit those parameters? I'll likely just buy it new so I know what I get, and can choose exactly what I want to start with.

I'm looking forward to both gathering and sharing information here in the future. I ran this idea past my wife a few months ago, but she didn't buy it until I showed her all your member photos, and that it COULD be done, and quite nicely. Thanks for already helping me along! :thumbsup:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey Gone,

Welcome to the forum... glad we could already help you out...

For the next question, i.e. which cargo trailer to buy, I'll let the cargo trailer guys chip in...

but when you do buy, can you take some pictures, and share with us? ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Most definitely. Thanks for the welcome.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby edcasey » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi and welcome. Let me guess, the washed out dirt roads lead to your favorite fishing holes. I spent a lot of time researching before I bought but I really can't help you because I didn't look at aluminum trailers. There are some people on here who have so I'm sure you'll get some excellent input.

I definitively agree with you on the size your looking at. My biggest regret is not getting a 7 X 14 foot trailer (or larger) instead of the 6 X 12 we bought. You certainly have enough truck to handle what ever size you choose. I also like the dual axle idea for safety. I'm adding a second axle to mine because we're installing a generator and holding tanks that will cause us to exceed the gross weight of the single axle.

How far do you plan to go with your conversion? By that I mean will you be adding an electrical system, propane system, heat, air conditioning.... or are you planning on keeping it simpler? Either way we will be happy to help you as much as we can.

Ed
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:25 pm

Ed: Yep, its to get me, the wife, and a dog or two back and forth from my favorite rivers. Mostly short trips of 2-3 nights.

I plan to try and keep it as simple as possible, which is why I'm turned off by full-blown rv trailers or tent trailers. It might also be used on rare ocassions for actual hauling of something, so I'll try to design everything for easy in and out.

A dry, comfortable bed is top priority. Initial thought is to put in a regular double bed, with the frame elevated just enough for some storage under it. The "fridge" will be a quality cooler that will keep a couple of ice blocks frozen for a few days, which I can do now in the back of the pick-up. A couple of comfortable chairs. A small folding table (portable, but stable when put up) for eating, reading, and tying flies. Portable storage boxes for everything else. A water jug on a shelf (as seen on this site somewhere!) also works fine for me. Cooking will be done outside to keep the odors and grease out there, with the possible exception of boiling a pot of water inside on cool mornings. I have a porta-potty I carry on my drift boat for overnight trips, so that would do in a pinch for a middle-of-the-night urge.

I'll still "camp" in less-developed areas, spend most of my time outside around the river or camp fire, and still carry my screen tent.

Some 12-volt LED lights inside, a screened window on each side for light, fresh air, and some view. An RV door in addition to rear door. That's about it for now.

Some kind of shower arrangement would be handy, but not sure how simple I could keep that. Was thinking of maybe using the "solar shower" bag I have now, and creating a corner to hang it in. Drainage would be the only issue, and I think I saw a solution or two on here already.

I don't want/need a stereo, tv, stove, water faucets, sinks, or any of that. (That's what motels are for! :lol: )

My thought on aluminum was for the weight issue. However, I may be jumping the gun on that one. V-nose for towing efficiency in windy Wyoming. Two axles/wheels for peace of mind.

I just need a place to sleep comfortably, get out of the weather when it gets nasty, and securely store all the camping and fishing goodies that get brought along on the trips.

Heat would be nice to extend the season, but I'm not yet sure about burning propane in such an enclosed area. I'm sure it can be done, and safely, but I have to learn that first and then leave that to a pro. Carbon Monoxide I have no use for!

I'm going to take a hands-on look at a few on Monday to get a feel of what I want to start with . . . Its gonna be fun, especially with all the ideas tossed around on this site. :applause:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:41 pm

It appears I have an Interstate Cargo dealer nearby. They stock a low-end Interstate line called "Victory", as well as a step up from that one called the "Loadrunner", both in configurations I'm considering.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this product?

I may look at Wells Cargo as well, since they appear to have a plant nearby in Ogden, UT.

I think I want to see and touch what I buy, rather than ordering or buying something from an on-line dealer or seller with only pictures. My purchasing region is northern Utah, southwest Wyoming, western Colorado, and/or southern Idaho. Salt Lake City area is closet metro area to me.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby edcasey » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Gonefishin wrote:I don't want/need a stereo, tv, stove, water faucets, sinks, or any of that. (That's what motels are for! :lol: )

Well...I guess we'll just have to disagree on that point. My wife and I like a few creature comforts when we vacation and can't stand staying in motels.

Best of luck on you're build.
Ed
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Gonefishin,

Solar shower bag and an external shower tent/privy! Make hot water on a burner and pour it into the bag. :thumbsup:

As far as your other questions: Please read my posts at the link below.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Alan Wood » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:53 am

edcasey wrote:
Gonefishin wrote:I don't want/need a stereo, tv, stove, water faucets, sinks, or any of that. (That's what motels are for! :lol: )

Well...I guess we'll just have to disagree on that point. My wife and I like a few creature comforts when we vacation and can't stand staying in motels.

Best of luck on you're build.
Ed

And that's the best thing about this site and this section in particular. Deciding for your self how much civilization to bring along with you! :thumbsup:
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Carter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:14 am

Years ago when we had a popup we used a (somewhat) simple shower. Had a 3' diameter blow up kiddie pool we put in the center of the trailer. Simple shower curtain hung from the roof. Heated water on a stove to get a 5 gallon bucket to a comfortable temperature. Cheap 12v bilge pump with a shower head to get clean. Used the bilge pump to empty the pool back into the bucket for disposal. Worked fine and the whole affair stored in the bucket. We didn't even use duct tape.

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:49 am

No duct tape??? Isn't that illegal?
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Carter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:08 pm

I'm going to get severely berated for this but..........

I live in a northern state, duct tape is optional

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:42 pm

No duct tape. I am done with this one. It can not be called a build with out it you know.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions