True North OUTDOOR SUPPORT VEHICLES

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

True North OUTDOOR SUPPORT VEHICLES

Postby hausfrau60 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:42 pm

I just found my dream cargo/teardrop. Right here in Oregon! Check out the website at:
[url]
http://www.truenorth.me/

I'd post a picture, but I don't know how!
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:30 pm

What's the interior look like?

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby hausfrau60 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:57 pm

Watch the video where the owner gives a detailed tour. In a nutshell, it has a gaucho-style bed (folds up into a couch), lights, storage, a portable table, a lil' buddy portable propane heater, lots of little cubbies for storing stuff. Very cool. Also in the video, you'll see what they use for a cooler, how the awning works, all the little attachments for clever gadgets, and more. Ifyou click on the dealer list, you'll be able to find inventory items with pricing as well.
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby kempshark » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:50 am

Very cool. Has some great ideas, but the price is of course way to high. The only one I could find for sale on the net had a list price of $19,995....and said call for price. Some of the ideas could definitely be used in a personal build though! I do like the gaucho couch/bed, the storage in the rear, and the galley is fairly cool. The awning is sweet also.
kempshark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hausfrau60 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:08 am

There were some in Medford, Oregon for under 14K. Still more than we wanted to spend. I love the gaucho bed, awning, and that storage area between the cabin and galley. Also liked where they put the little propane tank, and the extra storage in the tongue tool box. My build from a 6x10 cargo trailer could be similar, I think. I could get a lil'buddy heater, but the refrigerator/freezer box is a little spendy at around $600. A big cooler will have to do for now.

I was looking at futon frames and trundle bed mechanisms for ideas on how to configure the cabin area with bed/couch. Might be as simple as a tri-fold futon mattress and a little folding table. I see this stuff in my sleep ...

The awning situation is puzzling me. How to attach an awning (on each side and on the back?) so the rain is contained. My tent trailer had an awning in a bag attached to a track on the side. Worked slick. Not sure how to make that happen on my build.
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:14 am

The exterior design seems very confused. First, it's got a rounded roof front for good air flow but then a massive roof rack system for air flow destroying objects. Second, the awning destroys the air flow being up that high to get the head clearance needed when open, and it's hanging out up there just begging for a low branch to bend it or rip it off. Third, the rear isn't even curved (so easy to do) to keep the lines of the roof similar to the front. The rear hatch looks like a rain trap when open. Fourth, it's long for its height. It could have had a second axle for added safety and less chassis flex...or bigger, safer tires.

Pretty impractical in a lot of ways. :(

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:24 am

P.S.
:scratchthinking: What's with the tiny low door so that you have to crawl on your knees across carpet to get in to sit on the sofa? And what's with that long, sliding tray under the galley that blocks the galley when open?

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:52 am

In contrast, imagine this one increased half-again in length and height. Add a second axle and big off road tires. Mo' betta.

I think Joann's Desert Dawg is one sweet design and it's simple to build. Scale it up, 5-foot width, cover it with aluminum instead of Filon and you've got something lighter and superior to that factory trailer towable by a small V-6 pickup. Load it with 30 gallons of water for 10 days to two weeks fishing in remote Baja. Inflatable power boat and outboard go under the galley. :thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby hausfrau60 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:57 am

Okay, joykill. You have some good points, but I still love the concept. Has anyone here strapped a water container underneath and added a pump? Water heater? I was thinking about just storing water under the sink, using a hand pump type sink faucet, and getting an on-demand type water heater that could be used for outside showers as well.
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby hausfrau60 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:02 pm

I like the Desert Dawg, but it is too small for us. And whatever I end up with has to fit in my garage (84' high in the middle, arched down to only 80" at the six-ft wide mark). Side doors can only be so high with those height restrictions, but at least it's better than a traditional little 4x8 teardrop.
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:05 pm

There were a few good ideas I'll consider from that one. Thanks for the link!

What about the Mr Heater propane heater though? I guess its safe as long as you don't fall asleep? I always thought catalytic heaters inside any small enclosure was a no-no.
:thinking:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby hausfrau60 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Maybe it would be safer in such a small environment to just use a 12-volt heated blanket such as:

2 Volt Auto Fleece Electric Heated / Heating Blanket with Timer

Stay Warm on Cold Winter Days! Great for keeping kids warm, especially when they are in car seats and cannot wear bulky snow suits. Great for your spouse, who wants the temperature warmer than you. Great for senior citizens and others who suffer from poor circulation.

# Warms you up in seconds.
# Large 42" x 58" size covers 2 people.
# Perfect for cars, convertibles, trucks, boats, RVs, and SUVs.
# Extra long 7 ft. cord reaches back seats.
# Luxurious 100% polyester fleece.
# Simply plug into 12V cigarette lighter socket. Comfy Cruise can also be used as a regular blanket when not plugged in.
# Automatic temperature control.
# Timer automatically turns off heat after 30 or 45 minutes for safety.
# Energy-saving 4 amp power usage.
# Easy to clean.
# Navy blue color.
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ageless » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:47 pm

I use the cat heater to warm the interior; I DO NOT run it when asleep. I do have the 12V blanket should the nights get chilly. I have had nights in the Utah desert with below freezing temps and while it was chilly at sunrise, I didn't need the blanket.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby michiganflipper » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:09 pm

20 gallon water tank under one of the seats and 6gallon hot water heater under the sink
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:14 pm

hausfrau60 wrote:I like the Desert Dawg, but it is too small for us. And whatever I end up with has to fit in my garage (84' high in the middle, arched down to only 80" at the six-ft wide mark). Side doors can only be so high with those height restrictions, but at least it's better than a traditional little 4x8 teardrop.

Have you checked out the Alto WW?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions