My Harley hauler conversion.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

My Harley hauler conversion.

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:11 pm

I built a project over a couple of weekends. I go to some bike rally's and needed a trailer to haul the bike in and give me someplace to sleep when I was there.
So I built this false wall for a cargo trailer I bought.

I searched ebay for a trailer and finally found one for a decent price because the location was mislisted and no one but me bid on it.

I picked this up for $900 it only had 50 miles on it and still had the little knobbies on the tires.

The first thing I did was install a removeable wheel chock and tie downs inside. I then installed a roof vent and a toolbox on the front.

Then I built a false wall for the back of it. The wall is removeable and will either stay in place when traveling or I strap it to a wall.(when Harley is inside.)
I offset the wall so the back door can still close when it is in place.

The start.

Adding aluminum angle to get offset.

Adding aluminum

I installed seals around the cargo doors frame for the false wall to seal against and then installed a header above it so I could put in t-bolts to hold it in place,The bottom is held with 2 eye bolts that hold it snug.
The top is held with 3 knobs with bolts that attatch to the t-bolts.
I also installed an electric panel to control outside and interior lights.

While building the wall I built a air conditioner door. I used angle aluminum to make mounts for the AC. I use simple turn catches to hold it in place. The door also serves as a table when the AC it in it.

I then built a holding tank out of PVC and added a on demand pump. It hold 8 gallons and I can get 3 showers out of it.

The inside is nothing special as I only throw a twin mattress in there to sleep and keep my camping supplies in a foot locker. I also wanted to keep it a cargo for hauling stuff. But it is comfortable and good to be clean and in the AC after a day of fishing, riding or hunting.

I put on a kayak rack and when fishing alot I can keep all of my rods and tackle in it ready to go.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby edcasey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:45 pm

I absolutely love what you've done Steve!!!! $900 is a steal. You have have some really unique ideas. The rear door and PVC holding tanks are very creative. Thanks for posting!
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:22 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...very nice Steve...so where's the coffee bar :D ;) ............................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby michiganflipper » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:31 pm

very nice great ideal with the pvc pipe
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:31 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Original. Creative. Looks great. Well done! Thanks for sharing.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Curtis in Texas » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:42 pm

I like it!

That's what I have planned for my 16' tandum axle Cargo Hauler.
I like your false wall with the door and AC install hole.
I want a false wall that folds in the middle and is hinged at the fold and at the wall. The wall will have a window and vents and a way to hang a portable removable kitchen with cabinets and a sink on it. on the back side. The false wall will be far enough inside that we will be able to close the rear cargo doors with the kitchen on the false wall. I'll have an EZ Go canopy for shade on the back, and a roll off awning on the tight side I had left over from my last pop up camper.

I have two Dual Sport bikes I want to carry, but will use some nice cots for sleeping on. I'll have one tall cabinets up front for the AC Refrigerator and microwave. But I have a side door for entry.
Now if I can only find a pop up camper toilet shower combo for the front I'll be set. I like the idea of a hot shower after a long day playing in the dirt.

I too an a kayacker and your rig makes a nice little hidaway for those R&R trips at the river.

:applause:

Curtis in Texas
Curtis in Texas
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:47 pm

Steve,

Steal for $900!

Nice, super-clean job with the rear. Looks fabulous!

I like diamond plate a lot too.

Photos of the interior and shower???

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby El3mo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:36 am

That is a really sweet set up. I like the versatility, a lot.

Will definitely take some notes from it when I do my conversion.
El3mo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby digimark » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:44 am

That is the coolest thing. AND removable. So awesome!

:awesome:

"I think it's brilliant! What an idea! And I was there! He took the idea!
He saw it ripe on the tree, he plucked it, and he put it in his pocket.
It's, it's, dare I say... genius? Ah, no, no! But maybe, ooh! ah!
Maybe it is! Maybe I'm in the presence of greatness,
Maybe I just don't know it. But I saw it..." Steve Martin, "Roxanne".
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby Dion » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:00 am

First let me say Hi, edcasey pointed me here(thanks Ed!)

This is just what I was thinking about on my race trailer except my thought was to hinge the top so It can swing up for loading/unloading and transporting the bikes then down at the track or when I use it for hunting. Good to see I'm on the right track :thumbsup:
Dion
Teardrop Inspector

Postby edcasey » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Dion wrote:First let me say Hi, edcasey pointed me here(thanks Ed!)

This is just what I was thinking about on my race trailer except my thought was to hinge the top so It can swing up for loading/unloading and transporting the bikes then down at the track or when I use it for hunting. Good to see I'm on the right track :thumbsup:

Glad to see you got the link okay. This is the trailer I was telling you about. There's a lot of great ideas on this forum for building your conversion. Please keep us posted on your build and we would love to see some pictures.

Ed
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby Dion » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:58 pm

edcasey wrote:
Dion wrote:First let me say Hi, edcasey pointed me here(thanks Ed!)

Glad to see you got the link okay. This is the trailer I was telling you about. There's a lot of great ideas on this forum for building your conversion. Please keep us posted on your build and we would love to see some pictures.

Ed

Will do Ed, I already have some wild ideas :twisted:
Dion
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KBS » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:31 pm

michiganflipper wrote:very nice great idea with the pvc pipe

I would never have thought to use pvc pipe for a water tank. That is brilliant. It's compact, easy to build/maintain, and easily replaced if damaged.

Makes me wonder if you could also use pvc to make a compressed air chamber to provide pressurized water instead of an electric pump, or at least save the pump until the air pressure is gone. That would mean you could pressurize the air tank at home and save some battery power.

Here's another idea. Ten gallons = 80 lbs, plus maybe 20 for the pvc. Two people can lift 100 lbs. What if you were to have your pvc water tank be "portable" so you could lift it up an hang it from the roof on hooks. You wouldn't need a pump. You could also use it in other ways like a table-top water dispenser. When it runs dry, you can take it to get filled without moving the trailer. There would be many possibilities.
Karl Stevens
KBS
Teardrop Advisor

Postby digimark » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:59 pm

Speaking of power, I was wondering how Sonetpro powers the AC when using it -- do you carry a generator or have a local power tap available?
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby Stealth TDI » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:02 pm

WOW!

Cool idea with the PVC. Question: Is there a little "vent" to allow air into the "tank" as water is removed? I don't know enough about tank to be certain if larger true tanks have vents. It just seems there would need to be one.

Thanks,

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions