Greetings! Newbie With a Question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby SmilinJack » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:20 pm

I stumbled across this site a couple of weeks ago and am amazed at the amount in information and knowledge available here. Thanks to you all for sharing...

I live in North Carolina and own a 7 X 16 CT that I am converting to a toy hauler. It has a rear ramp door and a 36" side door, and dual axle with brakes. I bought the trailer used and it already had 3/8' plywood walls installed. Unfortunately my digital camera just died, so I have not been able to take any pictures of my progress. I'll be buying a new camera soon and will post some pictures. I know a 7 X 16 is very large for most of you, but that's what I have...

I decided not to remove the plywood and install insulation and electrical at this time (probably a mistake). If I really get back into camping (after a 30 year hiatus) I'll remove what I've done and install wall insulation and electrical later. For now I just want to be able to haul my Goldwing and have a dry place to sleep in campgrounds up around the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I have installed bunk beds across the front that can be repositioned to make a king size bed. Or the upper bunk can be tilted down onto the lower bunk to form the back of a couch. I've installed a rear wall and storm door (ideas I stole from you guys). Both the wall and storm door are recessed 12" into the trailer and are hinged to the sides of the trailer. I beefed up the trailer walls with a strip of 3/4 plywood over the existing 3/8 plywood by screwing it into 2 wall studs on each side. This should hold the weight of the wall and storm door with no problems. I removed all this and am in the latter stages of painting everything. I HATE TO PAINT! The beds, wall, and storm door can all be removed in about 15 minutes.

The next thing on my to-do list is install an RV type door lock on the side door. I plan to install a small tarp type awning over the rear ramp and use it as a sitting area (another idea stolen from you guys). There will also be a larger awning along the curb side. There will be a door installed in the rear wall to allow for a 5,000 BTU air conditioner. For now I just plan to use a heavy duty extension cord for the air cond or ceramic heater. I'll use a GFCI and power strip.

I want a window in the curb side. I've been looking at them on e-bay and I see that there are several types: sliders, crank out types, and of course fixed. I want one that can be opened and has a screen. Sorry for the long winded post. Finally the question: Which type window do you folks recommend - slider or crank or something else?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'll post pics as soon as I can, I promise....
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the forum. We are counting on you for the pics...

As for the windows, folks like both the sliders and the cranks... I guess it depends on what matches your trailer better. I think the sliders would match better.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Prem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:00 pm

Jack,

I also prefer the sliders. The crank-out windows have sharp corners that often get hit or end up hurting someone.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby SmilinJack » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Prem,

Hadn't thought about the sharp corners. Good point (no pun intended).

Is there a brand name to go with or to stay away from? I've been watching them on E-bay, and the prices seem to vary widely for the same size window...
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:10 pm

...I like sliders as well...a lot of folks like crankouts because they can be opened in rain but you can get a rain diverter to go over the sliders and accomplish the same thing(it's what I did with mine).......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby SmilinJack » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:13 pm

Madjack,

I think I'm definitely going with the slider. Haven't seen the rain diverters. Where can I find them?
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:22 pm

http://www.lilbear.teardrops.net/parts4.html#windows ...scroll down to "drip caps"...they are usually available thru most RV dealers and some mobile home suppliers as well........
madjack 8)

p.s there are a lot of suppliers for the slider windows, including Lil Bear...I bought mine through RedNeck Trailer Supply.......mj
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Prem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:23 pm

I've been watching them on E-bay, and the prices seem to vary widely for the same size window...

Jack,

Light drizzle, no problem, but no open window--slider or crank out--will keep out a driving rain coming in at a shallow angle, So I just close my windows and let the rain-proof vents provide some fresh air, since the wind is usually blowing pretty good too.
Comes in white also. (on Ebay)

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Welcome to the forum Smilin Jack. I too have learned a lot on here but more importantly I have made some great friendships. But me sitting in my trailer during a rain event, not a chance. I just sit under the side porch with the window and door wide open.

or under the easy up at the rear working on some dutch oven recipe.

But if those don't help and you take on a bit too much water let me know, I may be able to help.

:lol:

Again, welcome and have fun. You will love this site.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby Prem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Note to self: Put wetsuit, hood and booties in trailer for camping in the rain.

Prem :surrender:

P.S. That's a sweet set-up you've got there Jeff. I especially like the red screen doors, the awning and the flag pole. I like the interior and those folding bunks too. :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:22 pm

MJ,

Check this out:

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/HistoryRedneck.html

Started out making red goosenecks. Who woulda known? :o

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby SmilinJack » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Nitroxjunkie71

Jeff,

I plan to put an awning along the side as well as over my rear ramp. I noticed in your pics that you have the same problem I do in that there is very limited clearance between the top of the side door and your tarp. I'm going to copy your idea of extra poles to support the tarp.

I have to remove the generic trim that covers the intersection between the roof and side material and install "C" channel. I was thinking that if I install the channel with the "C" facing up instead of down, as is usually done, it might give me an inch or so more clearance on the door. Opinions, anyone?

P.S. If we get that much water, maybe I'll build an ark instead of a toy hauler...
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Prem might just have something there :thinking:

A wetsuit WOULD have come in handy at the spring gathering this season.

What a worm drownder that 1st night was....... :shock:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:12 am

bobhenry wrote:What a worm drownder that 1st night was.......

That's no Joke! :rainy:

SmilinJack wrote:I noticed in your pics that you have the same problem I do in that there is very limited clearance between the top of the side door and your tarp.

Yes the tarp is low because of the smaller trailer. I know my dads larger trailer would have plenty of room to extend one straight out with no problem but some additional support would still be necessary to help eliminate some of the sag when it rain's by either using some additional poles (like I have done) or by using some fiberglass tent poles like Kevin57 did. Very good idea
:thumbsup:

Kevin57 wrote:Here's how I got the sag out of mine . I used some fiberglass poles from an old tent and ran them from corner to corner.

It doesn't hurt anything with the tarp up like I have it. I just lower the tongue a bit and let it rain. The C channel adds a natural water channel so no water intrusion takes place.

SmilinJack wrote:I have to remove the generic trim that covers the intersection between the roof and side material and install "C" channel. I was thinking that if I install the channel with the "C" facing up instead of down, as is usually done, it might give me an inch or so more clearance on the door. Opinions, anyone?

It would be hard for me to say really without seeing the trailer. With my application I would say no because you would loose your seal but on the flat tops others would have to add their two cents who are familiar with that style.

Keep us posted on your progress. I am sure others will chime in here with additional help.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:34 am

Prem wrote:Note to self: Put wetsuit, hood and booties in trailer for camping in the rain.

Prem :surrender:

Hey Prem. First off there is no wet suit. I decided long, long ago diving in the Great Lakes requires something a little more substantial like a dry suit. Secondly, when I travel to Michigan I would never (ever) consider leaving my dive gear behind since this is the main reason I built the trailer.

Rain

or no rain

:)

Ok. Back to C Channel discussion...
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions