Insurance

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Insurance

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:39 pm

I'm just ready to pick up my new 6X12, and after calling my ins. company (Progressive) that I have my trucks and boats with, they say they don't cover "cargo trailers." Called Gieco on a whim, and they said no cargo trailers or "conversions."

What are you guys doing to insure your cargo conversions? The companies are telling me they're not classified as "rv's". And since nothing in mine will be permanently mounted, its definitely a cargo trailer "used for camping."

The thing is only going to be worth about $4,000-ish when all finished, plus some contents that may or may not be covered. However, I would like to have coverage in case someone cuts the tounge lock and steals it, someone hits it while parked, it rolls away, or some other unforseen incident. Progressive also told me that in the event of a wreck while towing it, the trailer would only be covered up to $500 of damage.

Liability is not an issue, as that IS covered while towing by the tow vehicle.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:31 pm

i have mine with ALL-STATE Ins. :thumbsup:
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

allstate

Postby rockinrobin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Allstate insured my tear as a cargo trailer, no plumbing, very reasonable rate, full coverage. Ronnie :thumbsup:
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Insurance

Postby Creamcracker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:13 am

Gonefishin wrote:I'm just ready to pick up my new 6X12, and after calling my ins. company (Progressive) that I have my trucks and boats with, they say they don't cover "cargo trailers." Called Gieco on a whim, and they said no cargo trailers or "conversions."

What are you guys doing to insure your cargo conversions? The companies are telling me they're not classified as "rv's". And since nothing in mine will be permanently mounted, its definitely a cargo trailer "used for camping."

The thing is only going to be worth about $4,000-ish when all finished, plus some contents that may or may not be covered. However, I would like to have coverage in case someone cuts the tounge lock and steals it, someone hits it while parked, it rolls away, or some other unforseen incident. Progressive also told me that in the event of a wreck while towing it, the trailer would only be covered up to $500 of damage.

Liability is not an issue, as that IS covered while towing by the tow vehicle.

The company I deal with doesn't insure trailers either...so far I've not been able to secure any insurance...everyone I've contacted require me to switch my car policies along with any trailer insurance they may offer. GMAC took my money, issued a policy then three weeks later rescinded the policy saying "we don't insure home built trailers"...but rather than refund me the total amount paid they returned about 3/4 and tried to charge me for the 3 weeks! We had a little discussin about that and they refunded the whole amount AFTER I went up the "chain of command" at GMAC.

Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:21 am

I do have my homeowners policy with Allstate, so I'll try my agent for that this morning and see if they'll write it. If not, I'm not changing all my other policies over from Progressive because they're rates, service, and coverage are so good for trucks and boats.

Thanks for the tips. I'll update what Allstate tells me.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby planovet » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 am

Gonefishin wrote:I do have my homeowners policy with Allstate, so I'll try my agent for that this morning and see if they'll write it. If not, I'm not changing all my other policies over from Progressive because they're rates, service, and coverage are so good for trucks and boats.

Thanks for the tips. I'll update what Allstate tells me.

Sometimes if you have your auto insurance with the same people that you have your home insurance with you can get a significant discount. Ask your Allstate agent, maybe he can beat your Progressive rates. Just a thought.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Well, Allstate wants a vehicle in order to write the trailer. I've had a couple of auto claims with Allstate in the distant past, and will still try to avoid them for that, even though their rate may match Progressive. I also have two boats, and Allstate can't touch Progressive on coverages and premiums for fishing boats.

Frustrating, but I'll figure something out. I'm still open to other ideas too!
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Stealth TDI » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Hello,

I don't have a conversion. But I seem to recall my SF agent telling me my utility trailer is automatically covered under my auto insurance if I'm involved in an accident. The language he used was along the lines of "anything attached to your car..." But that doesn't count if the trailer is stolen from my back yard. :( Any removable items inside would likely fall under my home owner's policy much the way a bicycle would be if stolen from a rooftop carrier.

Just my $0.02.
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Cargo trailers seem to be a sketchy subject among insurers. They have no problem with "RV's" though, provided the trailer meets certain RV qualifications.

Upon further review, Progressive will write "other trailers" if the trailer has "permanent" cooking equipment and "permanent" bedding. Neither of those are in my plans, but I could make them sorta permanent with some screws and/or latches here and there, I think. Maybe if I secured the bed frame to the floor and wall in some fashion.

Not sure about my camp stove (all cooking is outside except maybe boiling water). Maybe "permanently" mount a flip-down table, and then screw or mount the camp stove to that, "temporarily permanently" of course! :lol:

$125 a year for $3800 of agreed, total replacement cost, not actual value. Includes $3,000 worth of contents.

HMMM. :thinking:

My thinking for insurance in the first place is for someone hitting me while towing it or parked. (In which case, hopefully THEY have ins). Roadside assistance (can be found elsewhere). Comp/collision while towing. The Wyoming wind blowing the thing right over while towing or even parked. (It blows 50-70 regularly!) Freak accident, weather damage, something stupid (slim).

Maybe not worth the premium for such a low risk, and also hassling with the adjuster if I do have a claim, because its a "cargo trailer" and not covered after all. Would push come to shove on my permanent bed and stove? (Like that really matters to anyone else beside insurers!)

:thinking:

I'll keep everyone posted if I find a better solution. Will also start the conversion itself pretty quick too. Pics coming.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Creamcracker » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Gonefishin wrote:Cargo trailers seem to be a sketchy subject among insurers. They have no problem with "RV's" though, provided the trailer meets certain RV qualifications.

Upon further review, Progressive will write "other trailers" if the trailer has "permanent" cooking equipment and "permanent" bedding. Neither of those are in my plans, but I could make them sorta permanent with some screws and/or latches here and there, I think. Maybe if I secured the bed frame to the floor and wall in some fashion.

Not sure about my camp stove (all cooking is outside except maybe boiling water). Maybe "permanently" mount a flip-down table, and then screw or mount the camp stove to that, "temporarily permanently" of course! :lol:

$125 a year for $3800 of agreed, total replacement cost, not actual value. Includes $3,000 worth of contents.

HMMM. :thinking:

My thinking for insurance in the first place is for someone hitting me while towing it or parked. (In which case, hopefully THEY have ins). Roadside assistance (can be found elsewhere). Comp/collision while towing. The Wyoming wind blowing the thing right over while towing or even parked. (It blows 50-70 regularly!) Freak accident, weather damage, something stupid (slim).

Maybe not worth the premium for such a low risk, and also hassling with the adjuster if I do have a claim, because its a "cargo trailer" and not covered after all. Would push come to shove on my permanent bed and stove? (Like that really matters to anyone else beside insurers!)

:thinking:

I'll keep everyone posted if I find a better solution. Will also start the conversion itself pretty quick too. Pics coming.

I don't have a cargo trailer...and all those rules that they talk about don't apply when you say it was "custom made" so I feel pretty sure that even with Progressive "other trailers" doesn't extend to home conversions or home built!
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:28 pm

Yeah, I'm sure "custom made" makes the cowards run! :thumbdown: I'm thinking I'll just use it, be careful, and not worry about it. It might make me even more careful.

Otherwise, its probably opening a can of worms, especially if it ever came down to settling a claim.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions