Merry Christmas TTT, $20 Coleman savings.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Merry Christmas TTT, $20 Coleman savings.

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:37 pm

I just ordered a portable Coleman heater for my new insulated 6X12 from Amazon. The heater, with a case for it, and another small item I ordered all qualified for free shipping, AND I got a $20 discount. Amazon is giving $20 off any Coleman order over $100 through December 6 (Sunday) :thumbsup:

Since this site seems to need a little extra "operating" cash, and this site is responsible for me buying a new trailer and now needing the little heater in the first place, I decided to donate the $20 discount I just received to the continued operation of the site. :)

If anyone out there needs some new Coleman gear, check out Amazon, and maybe you too could slide a 20-spot to the site, or just get the discount.

I've never, ever donated to keep a forum or web site running, even those I heavily frequent and have enjoyed for years. Most don't need it anyway due to advertising on those sites. I do like the fact that this one is not flooded with floating ads and annoying pup-ups though. I've also learned more from this forum and its members than any other site. There's no bickering, no name-calling, and a very open and honest flow of good information. The ideas are simply brilliant. That's refreshing in the cyber world, where the trash always seems to surface. I've found none of that here, and its great.

I may make this a habit from now on. Simply pass on any little discounts I can get during my conversion to the site that made it all happen. I'd have never considered the idea otherwise, and still have no desire for a tent trailer, teardrop, or conventional "camper."

Find a deal, earn a discount, and pass it on to the site! Its a win-win.

Merry Christmas TTT! :applause:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Gonefishin,

I like your trailer. I especially like that you put the spare tire on the front of the V down low. I was hesitating doing that to mine, but now I'm going to copy what you did (same side).

Two quick questions:

1) What kind of bracket (or bolts) did you use to mount the spare?

2) What is that dark brown molding that you used on the wall / ceiling intersection? Is it vinyl?

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:25 pm

The molding on the wall/ceiling intersection is actually bright silver aluminum! The photo doesn't reflect it properly in the light. I have to confess that I ordered the trailer from the factory this way, with Luan ceiling and 3/8 plywood walls. I'm starting a thread soon that will tell how I ended up with what I have, and why.

That little nifty spare tire mount I got from the dealer. They had some there that they used on most of their trailers, and I'm not sure if they're buying them elsewhere, making them in house, or perhaps even they're coming from Haulmark. They didn't charge me for it, so I didn't ask! Its mounted with 4 screws into the 16" center support on the nose. Tire is held on to two welded-on lugs, just like a wheel, with lug nuts. At only moderate-tight, its tight as a drum. Gives you spare lug nuts too!

I chose that location because I figured the draft of the tow pickup would minimize any drag in that location anyway. Mounting on the rear door seemed like it would be in the way, on the inside anywhere would not be an option, and on the side would result in too much air drag. A tongue mount would not leave room for the battery there, and possibly a larger cargo box of some kind in the future.

Its in a convenient location to keep the air pressure checked, not cause any drag, and be easily accessible with the same lug wrench as for the wheels. Instead of lug nuts, somebody out there makes two little "arms" that can also screw onto the lugs, and then be secured on thier ends with a lock for security. I don't go into many places where tire/wheel security is an issue, but I know spares are stolen all the time. That would be the safe way do to it. I have some on my boat trailer's spare.

Here's some Pics!

Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:36 pm

I chose that location because I figured the draft of the tow pickup would minimize any drag in that location anyway. Mounting on the rear door seemed like it would be in the way, on the inside anywhere would not be an option, and on the side would result in too much air drag.

Precisely my thought too. And thanks for the good photos of that bracket. I'm going to make one just like it now.

I appreciate that.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:30 am

Gonefishin,

P.S. Gone Marlin fishin for two weeks. Gotta catch some solar rays too.

Prem :icedtea:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions