Galley Questions - Opinions and thoughts requested

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Galley Questions - Opinions and thoughts requested

Postby Kixwy2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:58 pm

So as I start to gather ideas and do some research about what I want in my conversion (and the slickest way to do it) I'm curious how important the galley area is to you and how you chose to create it. Things like: How important is a sink in the countertop? How big? How deep is the counter space and did you really use the stove there, or did it wind up on an outdoor table? How high should it be from the ground level, and does it work well when inside the camper?

My general plan is to have a galley that can be accessed from the inside via pass-thru but primarily used as part of a larger open space outside (tables and benches) so I won't stink up the camper with bacon grease or chili. However, in inclement weather I'd like the option to close the barn doors and have the ability to grab a drink from the cooler or boil some water for hot cocoa. I'm not planning a build with all the bells and whistles as I mostly go camping off the grid, and am quite used to battery power and 1# propane bottles. But I would like to hear your experiences once you've done the build and how its worked out for you. ;)
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:22 am

While I can't give you experience with a permanent galley, I can tell you that after I considered that option, I've decided to go with a "portable galley," better known as a "chuck box." With this I can use a picnic table, or I can use my own folding table either inside or outside the trailer. I, too, don't plan on cooking much inside, but can still heat water, a can of soup, leftovers, or do minor stuff as you mentioned. Or, I can take the box outside, put it on a table, and my galley is wherever I want it to be. I like that option and mobility. I like to do messy dishes away from my camp, so no sink required for me.

There's some thread on here about them, and google "chuck box" will bring tons of ideas. Here's one: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25931
I haven't built mine--yet! Its on the list though.
If you're sold on wanting a permanent galley, there's a bunch of good-looking ones here, and I know you'll get lots of input. :thumbsup:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:10 am

Kixwy2,

Here's an idea:

1) You build an inside galley up against one of the barn doors all the way to the ceiling.
2) If you open that door, it's also an outside galley. (Imagine that kind of 2-sided access cabinetry!)
3) The other door closes when you're using the outside galley.
4) Smoke / Grease smells can't get in because the outside galley is sealed off because the inside galley cabinetry goes all the way to the ceiling.
5) The whole thing is 3-feet x 3-feet x the height to the ceiling.

Wild. You'd be the first one to try that. (It would require some detailed sketches to get the ergonomics right.)

In the alternative, you could build that free-standing, chuck wagon box or you could get an aluminum trucker's box for a small outside galley and mount it to the rear barn door like you saw in one of my photos.

Just my 2 cents.

Prem :peace:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Kixwy2 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Well, here's what I'm noodling around with currently:

Build a galley with cabinet doors that open from both sides - either via slider or hinges. Access is available from inside and outside. Also have bi-fold or pocket doors that partition the area between the upper cabinets and the counter top. This way I can close off the area from the sleeping area or open it up for air/sun during the day.

Which all sounds cool in theory, but I might need deeper shelving and counter space than I'd originally planned. I was hoping to designate about 24" of trailer depth to the galley area, leaving me with 8 or 10 feet of sleeping/storage area, depending on whether or not I get a 6x10 or 6x12.

So then I got stuck, wondering if building a sink in the countertop was a wise idea or not. I was planning on going semi-primitive, with a 5 gallon Sparkletts style jug underneath the counter with a hand pump up to the sink with a second one for grey water return, but now I'm thinking I can put that contraption on a table outside and be done with it. :thinking: Then the space where the sink would have been gives me a larger, more protected food prep surface area.

This is why I need help! :lol:

However, Prem, you just gave me an idea - back to the sketch pad! I will have to take some pictures of my crude drawings and post them once I mull this over a little more.
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Re. Sink / water / gray water:

...now I'm thinking I can put that contraption on a table outside and be done with it. Then the space where the sink would have been gives me a larger, more protected food prep surface area.

Precisely. :thumbsup:

Prem

P.S. I'm outta here for two weeks in southern Mexico.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions