Propane tank tongue mount, revisited.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Propane tank tongue mount, revisited.

Postby digimark » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Still hung up on this idea of putting a propane tank on the trailer tongue, even though the factory spare tire mount is in the way. I set a 20lb propane tank on the tongue in these pictures. I'm looking for your estimation of whether this would work:

The jack handle hits the propane tank when fully opened, although if I lift it slightly it will clear the tank. It's probably better to put a 10lb tank here, if it's doable at all.

Comments?
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby astrotrailer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:17 pm

I have the same issue. I have a tongue box and a tire above.
I am moving the tire to the side of the trailer and I am mounting
the propane tank above the tongue box. In your case I would
look at mount the spare hire up the wall and putting a shelf
against the wall of the trailer to support the tank.

Jeff
astrotrailer
Teardrop Master

Need better pics!

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Hard to tell from the pic but could you bove the propane tank back, mount it maybe 5 or 6 inches lower using some kind of custom brackets (not really that hard). I don't think it would ever "bottom out" and hit the ground. Then if you could raise your spare a few inches and could perhaps "have your cake and eat it too" by having both the spare tire and propane tank near to where they are today.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby digimark » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:25 pm

I should have outlined the spare tire mount -- it's made of the same box tube the tongue is and welded to the tongue. I asked the trailer dealer if they could add more box tube to mount the tire higher and they said the mount is so close to the front wall that they didn't want to try for fear of damaging the front wall and diamond plate. So moving the tire isn't really an option.

Does anyone know what is the height of a 10lb tank?
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby astrotrailer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:50 pm

If you put a couple of angle braces below the box tubing it looks
like it would drop the top of the tank low enough for the handle to
turn. Without the tank foot it looks like it would fit in triangle space
right behind the tongue.

Jeff
astrotrailer
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:28 pm

digimark wrote:I should have outlined the spare tire mount -- it's made of the same box tube the tongue is and welded to the tongue. I asked the trailer dealer if they could add more box tube to mount the tire higher and they said the mount is so close to the front wall that they didn't want to try for fear of damaging the front wall and diamond plate. So moving the tire isn't really an option.

Bah, humbug!!!!! Where there is a "will" there is a "way". Post some more pictures and I'm sure we can come up with an "easy bolt on installation" to move the spare up and forward a bit.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Why not lay it on it's side in a cradle and then set it upright once you have the trailer set and level?
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bve » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Why not add an extension to the jack?

Not to the handle but the pivot point at the top of the screw that raises it 4-5".
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby edcasey » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:15 pm

If
Last edited by edcasey on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Just make it easy!

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 pm

edcasey wrote:If I understand correctly, the only issue is the jack handle hitting the tank. You can change to a side wind jack. The handle would be towards the front. I find them easier to crank being vertically challenged.

Clearly your solution makes the rest of us look sillly, ha.

"Easy bolt on installation". My favorite!

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:24 pm

If he replaces his existing jack with a siderwinder and puts it in the same place, he could still have the same problem because the tank is wider than the jack. If that's the case, perhaps the extension idea to raise the handle of the existing jack above the tank would be the easiest and least expensive way. The other alternative might be to relocate the new sidewinder jack or existing jack further up and to the side, if that's possible, ensuring that the handle (and knuckles) will no longer come in contact with the tank.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

I don't understand!

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:44 pm

S. Heisley wrote:If he replaces his existing jack with a siderwinder and puts it in the same place, he could still have the same problem because the tank is wider than the jack. If that's the case, perhaps the extension idea to raise the handle of the existing jack above the tank would be the easiest and least expensive way. The other alternative might be to relocate the new sidewinder jack or existing jack further up and to the side, if that's possible, ensuring that the handle (and knuckles) will no longer come in contact with the tank.

If the jack is replaced and the crank is facing forward, based on the pictures, I don't see that there'd be any interference.

But, my head is killing me (7.5/10 on the Richter Scale of PAIN), and I'm not thinking clearly, but that is my current thought on the matter.

Any questions?

Cheers,

Gus
Last edited by eamarquardt on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby edcasey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:58 pm

S. Heisley wrote:If he replaces his existing jack with a siderwinder and puts it in the same place, he could still have the same problem because the tank is wider than the jack. If that's the case, perhaps the extension idea to raise the handle of the existing jack above the tank would be the easiest and least expensive way. The other alternative might be to relocate the new sidewinder jack or existing jack further up and to the side, if that's possible, ensuring that the handle (and knuckles) will no longer come in contact with the tank.

Last edited by edcasey on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:38 am

You're right! ...Better thinking than mine!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bve » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:50 pm

A sidewinder will work for a $35 ish touch, however I'd bet an extension could be added to the existing jack with materials already around the shop -RRR.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions