Unvented battery box

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Ageless » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Batteries produce hydrogen; lighter than air; drilling holes at the bottom will not help
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Use an AGM battery, they vent very little as they are recombinant.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:12 pm

Ronaldito:

Here is an example of a battery box that might work for you:

The above box can be purchased at most any RV supply store for about $37. It is made by MTS Products. It has a hole in the top, for battery's chemical venting, and a hole in the bottom, for fresh air intake. The flexible hose and fittings for the top come with the box as you want something that fits well over the outlet. For the bottom, you can just use PVC piping to fit your needs. (In the above picture, the vent holes have not been cut yet as this was the first fitting of it in the cabinet.)

The box is made up of two equal pieces with sealing foam tape added where they are joined together. There is a small hole on each end that allows the wires to enter. While not evident in the picture, I am using a simple screw with a wing nut on each end to keep the two parts together.

...Hope this helps!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:09 pm

I have a silly question. Why don't you use a battery that doesn't require venting? There are sealed batteries now days.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:00 am

This one is a little pricey too, but I just got one for the tongue of my trailer, where the battery is mounted outside. It was in one of those cheap plastic cases, and I didn't trust that. This one is very sturdy, and does have a vent hole with a hose that could be routed outside your existing box.

Or, like was mentioned, you could go the AGM route. Either way, you'll spend some more money. AGM's will keep costing over time.

The least-expensive "might" be building you own, or having someone do it. Maybe copy this design for half the price? Or, maybe not save much at all and just order this one? Free same-day shipping!

http://www.streetsideauto.com/products.asp?ptid=3910&brand=BCPR&series=Aluminum%20Battery%20Box&partnumber=48100&Skip=True&LookupType=NON&Reset=True&utm_source=Nextag.com&utm_medium=Nextag.com&utm_term=Nextag.com&utm_content=Nextag.com&utm_campaign=Nextag.com
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:03 am

Wet acid batteries do not out perform or out last AGM or Gel, they require being watered do not like being frozen, they do sulfate, do not like being deep discharged (shortens life more than for AGM), self discharge fairly quickly. The only advantage is they are less $$$$
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:18 am

I have been using Gel and AGM in my Miatas for years, as Miata batteries sit unvented in the trunck, and they are great. Here is some info I found on the web...

AGM batteries have several advantages over both gelled and flooded, at about the same cost as gelled:

Since all the electrolyte (acid) is contained in the glass mats, they cannot spill, even if broken. This also means that since they are non-hazardous, the shipping costs are lower. In addition, since there is no liquid to freeze and expand, they are practically immune from freezing damage.

Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost.

The charging voltages are the same as for any standard battery - no need for any special adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or charge controls. And, since the internal resistance is extremely low, there is almost no heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge currents. The Concorde (and most AGM) batteries have no charge or discharge current limits.

AGM's have a very low self-discharge - from 1% to 3% per month is usual. This means that they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging than standard batteries. The Concorde batteries can be almost fully recharged (95% or better) even after 30 days of being totally discharged.

AGM's do not have any liquid to spill, and even under severe overcharge conditions hydrogen emission is far below the 4% max specified for aircraft and enclosed spaces. The plates in AGM's are tightly packed and rigidly mounted, and will withstand shock and vibration better than any standard battery.

Even with all the advantages listed above, there is still a place for the standard flooded deep cycle battery. AGM's will cost 2 to 3 times as much as flooded batteries of the same capacity. In many installations, where the batteries are set in an area where you don't have to worry about fumes or leakage, a standard or industrial deep cycle is a better economic choice. AGM batteries main advantages are no maintenance, completely sealed against fumes, Hydrogen, or leakage, non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes. Not everyone needs these features.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:21 am

BTW, why is this thread so wide? I have a 24-inch screen, and I have to stretch the window all the way across to read these posts.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions