Single axle v tandem axle - 6x12 V-nose

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Single axle v tandem axle - 6x12 V-nose

Postby wtcreaux » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 pm

I have learned a LOT by lurking.........one was that, while I like the idea of a TD, the multi-function allowed by a CTC intrigues my wife (the CFO).

So.....some basics.......1) we don't camp off-road (gravel is ok but no drop-offs), 2) the price difference between a tandem-axle and a single is $1G (not a deal-killer), 3) the trailer weight difference is 200#, 4) the carrying difference is 2500# (don't ever think I would come close but might to the single).

TV will be a 2006 Honda Odyssey (3500#limit) and (hopefully soon) a 2006-ish 4Runner (5000#limit)

I have read some pros/cons of single v tandem here (http://www.lets-getaway.com/single-v-tandem.htm)

Single Axle

Advantages –

* more maneuverable therefore easier to reverse
* single axles weigh less so less weight overall for towing and fuel economy
* less tyre replacement cost as there are only two tyres plus spare
* the caravan itself is likely to be cheaper to buy

Disadvantages -

* has a tendency to sway more without a sway control device
* more pitching and bounce on the tow ball
* axles have a load rating so less weight can be carried in the caravan or trailer on single axle compared to the tandem axle

Tandem (or dual axle)

Tandem axles are generally used on heavier caravans or travel trailers as the combined axle carrying capacity (kg) would be more.

Advantages -

* tows straighter and more stable at highway speeds
* more durability and stability with 2 axles and 4 tyres
* less ‘bounce’ so the contents are less likely to move
* less ‘bounce’ on the hitch

Disadvantages -

* less maneuverability
* limits the turning radius and the tyres can slide sideways and scrape
* more cost involved for tyre replacement ie: 4 tyres plus spares
* the caravan itself is likely to be dearer to buy
* heavier to tow and this impacts on fuel economy

Ideas?? Suggestions?? I guess I keep thinking about if.....if......if..... :oops:
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby digimark » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:32 pm

I could be (easily) wrong, but don't most tandem axle trailers come by default with trailer brakes, under the theory that you wouldn't buy tandems unless you needed to support a greater total weight? If true, you'll need a brake controller installed in your tow vehicle.

You'll also pay more for the extra axle at toll booths.

Which to choose really depends on how you're going to use it. If you think you'll be regularly flirting with the single-axle weight limit, don't risk it -- go with a dual.

What will you be towing it with?
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby wtcreaux » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:39 pm

digimark wrote:
What will you be towing it with?

A 2006 Honda Odyssey for now with plans to stepup to 2006-ish 4runner later this year.
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:08 pm

My experience is that our single axle is very stable towing. Wind does not seem to be a big affector and ours is a Grasshopper that is large (lots of sail area). Bounce is related to the suspension, a rubber torsion bar suspension will naturally damp motion and can be assisted with the addition of a shock absorber.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 pm

I made the same considerations. I like the dual axle because if you have a flat or fry a bearing, you're still "rolling" on one wheel. A safety issue. Having said that, I recently went against that thought with the single axle. The initial cost, weight, brakes, and my needs outweighed the advantage of having the dual axle. Its definitely a choice based on how you'll most use the trailer.

I've never noticed any real disadvantages in terms of towing, turning, manueverability, or any of that with a dual axle. My boats tow BETTER with dual axle trailers.

If cost/expense were not a factor, I'd likely go dual. Why not have a little extra support and security? Maybe next time! :o
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions