How low/high to place windows

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

How low/high to place windows

Postby pete42 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:01 am

I am in the planning stage of doing a cargo conversion.
One trailer I am looking at is a 7X12 R&R all aluminum.
they will install 22X30 windows I would like to install cabinets on if not both sides at least one side.
If you installed windows how far off the floor did you install them?
I think I would like them placed so I can see out when sitting on a side or end couch like my last TT.
Then again I think as long as they are below the cabinets they would be ok.
any thoughts to help this old man?
thanks Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:28 am

Pete,

First, start with the interior wall height. Figure how little space you can get away with in the cabinets you're proposing. How far down from the ceiling do they come then? Measure down another two inches to have room for the trim ring of the window. That's the top of your window. Now measure down the height of your window (22"???) and you'll see that there's not much wall left because the window is so tall. Smaller windows or a shorter cabinet up top? That's your decision. I'd go with 12" tall horizontal slider windows instead of those big windows.

Prem :)
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Re: How low/high to place windows

Postby angib » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:31 pm

pete42 wrote:I think I would like them placed so I can see out when sitting on a side or end couch like my last TT.

I think you're dead right - position the windows for when you're sitting down, not standing up - you can always bend down to see out on the rare occasons that you want to see out when standing.

For normal seating, you want the middle of the cushion (ie, half-compressed when you sit on it) at 14-16" off the floor and the bottom of the window no more than 24" above that (ideally 20" to see out easily). So that puts the bottom of the window somewhere around 36-40" off the floor.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:17 pm

I sleep head to back. My back windows are lower so I can look out while lying in bed... the front door windows are higher, so I can see out when I am sitting on the end of the bed...

So, like everyone says, put them where they do you the most good without becoming a contortionist.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm

I have mine as high as possible. Here is my own thinking, though your own personal interests may vary.

1. Less chance of being hit/broken by flying debris on the road. Maybe?

2. I still have enough length along the wall of my 6X12 for cabinets, should I ever decide to add them. They were in my original plans, and have since been scrapped due to lack of immediate need.

3. When windows are opened for cool air ventilation, more hot air will exit if the window is higher, and air will circulate better. Probably a minor thing, but I thought about it.

4. Privacy. Should I have the curtains open during the day, and possibly because the window is open for air circulation, its harder for someone passing by to see inside. Security and privacy.

5. At night, headlights and other light sources will not hit my eyes while sitting inside or sleeping on the bed. I'll be below the direct shot of light. And again, security so people don't look inside and make me a later target. (fly rods and/or someone tying flies can do that, not to mention camping gear we all have.)

6. The bear has to reach up higher to break it open, should he or she desire. :) (They're nearly everywhere I camp, though not commonly a problem with clean campers doing things right)

7. As I'm sleeping, I can still leave the curtains open, and look up at the stars and/or moon light, rather than the lights from other campers that may be near by. See number 5!

OK, some of those are a stretch, but those were my reasons. I couldn't think of a reason to have them low. If I want to see something outside, I can either a: stand up and look out, or b: better yet, just go outside! Both easy solutions. I'm usually outside anyway. Wall space was not an issue for me.

(latest pics coming very soon!)
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Re: How low/high to place windows

Postby caseydog » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

angib wrote:
pete42 wrote:I think I would like them placed so I can see out when sitting on a side or end couch like my last TT.

I think you're dead right - position the windows for when you're sitting down, not standing up - you can always bend down to see out on the rare occasons that you want to see out when standing.

I agree. If they are at standing height, you will feel like you are down in a hole when you sit or lie down.

Being able to see out of my 4X8 TD when I'm in bed makes it feel bigger. Without those windows by my head, I think I would feel somewhat claustrophobic when lying in bed.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:21 pm

Pete,

Some other options:

* Put one or two windows on the rear door(s), saving your side walls for cabinets, mirror, etc.

* Put in a real skylight or two. Skylights let in up to 5x more light than windows on walls that have the same surface area. You can make a perforated cover with patio shade cloth that Velcro attachs on the inside for the hot, sunny days. If you want to look up at blue sky or stars, a skylight view is better than the view out a window on a wall.

* On Ebay are tiny RV windows as small as 9" x 9" (non-opening), 12" x 18" (horizontal or vertical opening) sliders, 12" x 24" sliders, and occasionally 12" x 36" (even 48") sliders. That's a broad range of window alternatives to the big RV/Fifth wheel 22" x 30" windows.

Just more food for thought.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12 am

I have never seen a side window broken by road debris.

Hot air should exit through a roof vent, and enter through the windows.

Curtains on my open windows still allow enough circulation with the roof vent. I can see the curtains moving in a bit because of air flow.

Headlights at night are a very rare problem, most of the time. Curtains help a lot.

I don't camp in bear country, but I expect a bear, if it wants to, can put a paw through a window at any height and pull the door off.

For me, it is just a matter of having them where they provide the best view.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

CARGO TRAILER CONVERSIONS versus TEARDROPS

Postby Prem » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:24 pm

:lightbulb: CARGO TRAILER CONVERSIONS versus TEARDROPS:lightbulb:

Hot air rises. An operable vent (14' x 14") in the ceiling, to let hot air out, is standard equipment on many, maybe even most, Cargo Trailers. Mine didn't come with one. I installed two. Two was overkill, so I took the center one out, enlarged the hole a few inches and put in a non-opening, acrylic skylight. One opening, roof vent is plenty even on a 100 degree day with just the side door open.

Cargo Trailers, unlike Teardrops, also come with rain-proof, always-open, side vents built in. One can add more easily.

Cargo Trailers also come with large rear doors that quickly vent hot ceiling air if left open even a crack, unlike Teardrops that have a solid wall between the back and the galley. Neither a Teardrop's side doors, nor the opening part of their windows, go all the way to the ceiling to vent the hot ceiling air. :SH The roof vent is always placed at the highest point in the curve of the roof to vent the hot air.

In a standard, closed Teardrop, good ventilation is only had by opening the roof vent and the two doors or door windows, unless you get creative like the high-low, passive, air ventilation system in Guy's Teardrop for Vets prototype. :thumbsup:

I'll also reiterate that the view out the skylight in my Cargo Trailer, when laying in bed, is the best view I've ever had in all my RVs. :) Try it. Beats cutting through metal wall studs to get a medium-size window (22" x 30").

:scratchthinking: This thread is to help in building a Cargo Trailer conversion, not a Teardrop, correct? Apples and oranges.

Best wishes,

Prem :)
Last edited by Prem on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Skylight

Postby wtcreaux » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Prem,

How did you install your skylight??

What type of skylight?? Is it designed for autos and just converted??

Thanks
wtc
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:22 am

wt,

It was a small house skylight that I got new at ReStore. It's aluminum framed with an acrylic bubble (doubleglazed/insulated). I riveted 1.5 inch aluminum angle on its metal edge to give it a metal lip that I could chalk and rivet to the roof of my cargo trailer. I also used small SS bolts to attach the interior plywood trim to the metal edge of the skylight. You can just barely see the skylight (exterior) in the center of the roof in the first photo below and then photos of a day and early evening interior view looking up:

I also bought a 3 ft x 3ft one (same features) at ReStore a year later for $35. It's in storage. I'll have to build another trailer to use it. It's 3 inches higher and will kill the aerodynamics, but for that much light and sky view, no problem. :D

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Arne wrote:I have never seen a side window broken by road debris.

Hot air should exit through a roof vent, and enter through the windows.

Curtains on my open windows still allow enough circulation with the roof vent. I can see the curtains moving in a bit because of air flow.

Headlights at night are a very rare problem, most of the time. Curtains help a lot.

I don't camp in bear country, but I expect a bear, if it wants to, can put a paw through a window at any height and pull the door off.

For me, it is just a matter of having them where they provide the best view.

Well said! :thumbsup:

Prem wrote:CARGO TRAILER CONVERSIONS versus TEARDROPS
This thread is to help in building a Cargo Trailer conversion, not a Teardrop, correct?

I hope the camaraderie between both teardrop trailer owners and cargos alike continues. To me there is value in all ideas whether they work for me or not. Thanks to all of those who have shared their ideas regardless of what type trailer you have.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby Prem » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Nitro wrote:
I hope the camaraderie between both tear drop trailer owners and Cargos alike continues. To me there is value in all ideas whether they work for me or not.

That's for sure.

But back to Pete. He asked for specific help here not about a teardrop issue, but about RV window size for a cargo trailer. Cutting through structural metal studs to place a wide window is foreign to teardrop construction.

Let's help Pete.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Wow thanks for all the replies.
I will be getting a ramp in back I need it for my mobility scooter.
skylight sure is nice.
When I order the trailer it will come from the factory with 2 roof vents, 2 22X30 windows, rv style door with window, screen door, 4 stab.jacks, entrance step, and brakes.
If I feel the need to install an AC on the roof I will have a 14X14 boxed opening. About the only thing I will do is install the electric and insulate the complete cargo trailer I had to take a disability retirement with a spine injury 5 years ago after 41 years working in the maintenance dept of a foundry I have the capability just not able to do much anymore.
so I will let them do it for me.
I have read almost every post and marveled at what you guys and gals have done I will copy most of the inside design from your post I already have a folder with lots of pictures from here.
I would like to have trailer ready for an alaska trip in June.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Prem » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:29 pm

More power to ya Pete!

Happy exploring in Alaska.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions