LOOKING to buy a 6x12 to convert!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

LOOKING to buy a 6x12 to convert!

Postby waterboybueche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:38 am

Hey Everybody,

I am new to the idea of converting a trailer... I went back and forth with the voices in my head that sounded like this...

"if we buy a camping trailer, cant take the bikes, its too big, dont have a monster truck to tow with and I can make it the way I want to, too expensive, hate towing tall trailers in the wind..."

"Convert an enclosed trailer.... I can tow it with my Explorer, haul our motorcycles, build the interior to suit our needs, use it to haul furniture when it rains.... blah, blah , blah!!!"

I decided we can make a 6x12 work to bring the motorcycles and sleep 3-4....

My question is....

If I get a new one (probably not) how about the LOWES trailer or similiar stores???

WHat brands to stay away from? Not looking to spend a fortune OR have to have the best!!! Just would rather buy something that is known for being decent to good!!!

Thanks everybody for helping with my NEWBIE questions and issues!!!

Have fun and be safe!!!
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Its likely a personal decision. When I faced the same question months ago, I just looked at every 6X12 I could find, both new and used, for comparison. I ended up with Haulmark's higher end one. Some brands were many hundreds cheaper, some were over a thousand more.

Do your homework like on any other significant purchase. See what you get or don't get for a few hundred here and there. If you buy from a dealer, consider the quality of service you expect, especially if they do any work on it after delivery. That's worth something too.

There is probably no one "best", "middle", or "poor" for anyone. Take a look at a bunch, make an informed choice, and let the fun begin!!! Compare, compare, compare.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Thanks gonefishin

Postby waterboybueche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks for the help... I just found a manufacturer that makes a 7x12... makes me think hard... then I could place the queen bed sideways and not front to back...

I am 6'3 and a little "fluffy" 285 lbs... A comfortable bed is a MUST....

I looked at your album... NICE work... love the fishin bears!!!

Does the wife head out with ya fishin??
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Yes, wife goes on the fishing trips, but doesn't fish much.

As for the 7-foot wide, YES, it really opens up a lot of space if you can put the bed sideways. I really, really considered it before getting the 6-wide. That was the toughest choice. My final decision was that I wanted to keep things compact to begin with, and I didn't want the extra towing width with the 7-wide. My main reason for a cargo conversin in the first place was simplicity. Maybe next time, but for now I'll live with the 6.

I don't plan on spending much time inside anyway. If I did, a larger one would be a no brainer. Mine's pretty much for sleeping first, storage second, and a short daytime shelter third.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby waterboybueche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Hey Gonefishin...

I probably will stick with the 6x12... ($1800-2000) USED the 7x12 is going to run $3000-$3300.00 and up... USED.. with the money I will save, I can do alot for the 6x12 trailer!!!

I am thinking simple also... easier to tow, cheaper etc...

Thanks again and look forward to gaining more knowledge from ALL of you.
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby BC Dave » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:30 pm

some thoughts on trailer decisions ...

sleeping 3-4 would be tough in my 6X10 ... 2 is quite comfortable but you also have to have good manners when moving around inside with the beds up or down. The beds are removable 1/2 " 27" X 6'4" ply works well at my 200 lbs; attached to a wall rail 2 sides and one pc 2X4 or a box underneath ...

think head height also; I'm 6' and my 6'-1" interor height is fine; but I have banged my head on the door frame a couple of times ....

also think of the overall length and weight your towing; the 6X10 is more like 14' with the tounge hitch, about 1300 new and 1700 lbs trimmed out.

Also look at the stud spacing 16" better, roof construction one pc better; materials all aluminum is lighter; doors & latches; window locations and size; electrical; heat; water; use the kiss approach (keep it simple ... )
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:54 pm

waterboy wrote:

I probably will stick with the 6x12...

Check out the 6x12 Haulmark that Gonefishin has. Click on his album. No fiberglass front cap. Well built! You can get it with the motorcycle ramp on the rear.

(More posts on this subject on my first blue link below.)

Good shopping,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby waterboybueche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks BC Dave.

As far as sleeping 4, probably will not happen, but I have some ideas....

I figure, Iwill only have the motorcycles with me, when our sons arent with us... So, I really only need to sleep two of us...

Wth us sleeping inside, the boys can sleep in the tent (11 and 17 yrs old)
The 17 yr old probably will not be going with us too much, (work)

So, I still have to fit the 11 yr old inside too...

I am thinking the queen bed running front to back (towards the rear doors) and then the 11 yr old bunk running side to side across the back doors... this idea was sent to me from another member in the group... THANKS!!!!

I am also designing the trailer to work out of... I will be moving and taking a new job in Oregon. I will work construction sites (traffic flagger) at night. So when I go out of town to work in different areas, I can sleep in the trailer at a campground and ride my motorcycle around when I am not working!!!

CANT WAIT... THANKS !!!!
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby waterboybueche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks PREM,

fiberglass front cap???

what is this????
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby edcasey » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Even at 6' 3", I don't think you would have any trouble fitting on the sideways bed in our 6 X 12. You would just have to open the window at the foot of the bed and let your feet hang out. :lol:
It definitely wouldn't be comfortable for anyone over 5' 8".

Just like Gonefishing, we don't spend much time inside. It's more of a mobile bedroom / bathroom. The 6 X 12 does tow nicely but still there are times when that extra foot of space would be really nice.

Last edited by edcasey on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby waterboybueche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 pm

Prem,

I obsessed over your trailer and the rest of the pica posted for the past two days... (i did take time to take a long bike ride and eat too)

I am SOLD on this idea and I cannot wait to get started... I am moving to Oregon in 4 months and will purchase the trailer up there.

Thanks for all the help. Gotta go to bed now so I can make money to start saving for my new "habit" project" obsession,

I mean converted trailer!!!
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby waterboybueche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:07 pm

EDCASEY, I have been trying to see more of your trailer pics... do you have an album???
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby edcasey » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:12 pm

waterboybueche wrote:EDCASEY, I have been trying to see more of your trailer pics... do you have an album???

Kinda a long story but I deleted the links to my trailer pictures wherever I had posted them. Someone used my trailer pictures as part of a scam and sold it to several people (taking a deposit of course). I'll re-post them as soon as the whole mess has cleared up.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:01 am

waterboy wrote:
I am moving to Oregon in 4 months and will purchase the trailer up there.

8) No sales tax here in Oregon.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:00 am

P.S. Fiberglass front cap is where the front wall sheet metal meets the roof on most flat-front cargo trailers. Some develop leaks...often the cheaper models. You can see the water stains/drips down the front wall on the inside. HD here has one like that now. And it's never moved, except to come here on a flatbed. :thumbdown:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions