OffGrid Life

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

OffGrid Life

Postby 24pfilms » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Wow, what a great forum/site!!! i have been involved in trying to create an offgrid life, and expect to take it into full action in the Summer of 2010. I have recently designed a offgrid cabin...http://offgridville.posterous.com/tag/cabin and the leased land but felt it was going to go against my Nomadic desires.

Then I started looking closely at trailers, and how I hated most of the pre-packaged crap.

Then I found this great site!
What about cargo trailers, and if they could be modded to accommodate my desires. Can they be livable in the winter, can they go down a logging road, what's the best way to configure etc.

I then took a drive to the local cargo trailer dealer.

Also if anyone has any information with the fold out beds, that can be put in like http://offgridville.posterous.com/cargo-trailer-with-foldout-bed

I look forward to speaking with you guys and asking all of the Noobie questions.
24pfilms
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ageless » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Welcome my northrtn neighbor. My feelings about manufactured units are the same. No individual style.

There is a section here regarding converted cargo trailers;check that out. Some really creative solutions.

As far as logging roads; here in WA we can go miles and miles into the forest with a fairly smooth ride; then it will turn into ruts, washboards and worse. I have taken pop-up campers into some pretty remote areas without damage ( but I'm a few clicks off-center).

As far as winter camping (not my style) they can be insulated and heaters installed; sometimes better than a commercial unit.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I agree with ageless.
I wanted a teardrop that we can boondock in and that meant supplying electricity from solar panels, using energy saving measures such as all LED lights. Our water heater is gas and or electric and there is an external shower. The 14 gal on board water tank can be augmented and even refilled using an external water pump and filters from streams and lakes. Suspension will be variable in height. Dry weight will be about 1250 because of its all aluminum frame.
Can you use cargo trailer, yes, will it do what you want, ya most of the time
I started my process of deciding what we wanted looking at some of the Australian caravans, Bushtracker comes to mind. My personal feeling it is the difference between settling for something that sort of works to building exactly what will meet your needs
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Thanks Alot

Postby 24pfilms » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks alot for the great feedback guys. I will keep you posted on the WIP.
24pfilms
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:51 am

Lots of Canadians and Oregonians winter in southern Baja. Bring your own water and solar panels:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby artwebb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 am

Welcome, and thank for the links
I'm not old, I'm Vintage!
artwebb
The 300 Club

Packing my Bags.. I wish...

Postby 24pfilms » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Prem awesome picture!!! That is definitely on the plans. I am slowly getting to a position where "if there is wifi" I can work anywhere.

I have narrowed down my requirements to a:
6.6 x 14
Single Axle
Electric Brakes
With 1 if not 2 popout side bunks.
Roof rack cargo container

Solar Power with AC to DC convertor.

And the list goes on....
24pfilms
Teardrop Inspector

Off Grid Life RE: Cargo w/ side fold down beds

Postby mezmo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:46 am

Check this site out. I don't know their pricing, but this seems to be exactly
what you're thinking about.

http://www.livinlite.com/VRV-overview.php

Hope this helps.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rollinstoner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 am

I sure can relate to the homestead versus being nomadic lifestyle questions. I have bought land all over the Western US with thoughts of homesteading but cant seem to put down any roots on one place. So I decided why not just keep buying primitive lots and just visit them with a camper trailer. There are some amazing lots out there cheap with awesome views. They are just off grid. Im planning on a snow bird lifestyle when I retire. Summer in the pines, winter in the desert.
rollinstoner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:33 pm

rollinstoner wrote:I sure can relate to the homestead versus being nomadic lifestyle questions. I have bought land all over the Western US with thoughts of homesteading but cant seem to put down any roots on one place. So I decided why not just keep buying primitive lots and just visit them with a camper trailer. There are some amazing lots out there cheap with awesome views. They are just off grid. Im planning on a snow bird lifestyle when I retire. Summer in the pines, winter in the desert.

You should blog your experiences when you begin your adventure. :thumbsup:

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Nomadic Life

Postby 24pfilms » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:04 pm

rollinstoner wrote:I sure can relate to the homestead versus being nomadic lifestyle questions. I have bought land all over the Western US with thoughts of homesteading but cant seem to put down any roots on one place. So I decided why not just keep buying primitive lots and just visit them with a camper trailer. There are some amazing lots out there cheap with awesome views. They are just off grid. Im planning on a snow bird lifestyle when I retire. Summer in the pines, winter in the desert.

Yes that is kind of my plan. Where are you getting your property...I had looked at billyland.com but was concerned with some issues, like Pine Beetle in the area, as well as pictures that were a bit too optimistic, but when you go to the actual survey...uhhhmmm.

So yeah, keep us informed...Nomadic it is!!!!
24pfilms
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rollinstoner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Thats funny! I bought 3 acres from billyland.com in southern Oregon over 10 years ago. I since have sold it though. They seemed pretty honest to me. Mostly I just find the local classified ads online from a town that looks interesting. New Mexico has some smoking deals right now.
The photo of Baja sure does look good to me. I imagine they are having some great BBQs on that beach with all them campers there.
rollinstoner
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions