tankless water heater

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

tankless water heater

Postby mx842 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Has anybody tried one of these in their rigs? I'm about to the stage I need to think about a hot water heater and I saw these and was wondering if they worked ok.
mx842
Teardrop Advisor

Postby michaelwpayton » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:58 pm

I've used on a boat... where we had a separate tub/stand-up shower. Works great... a bit pricey, draw a lot of current... but, as long as you have shore power, Bob's your uncle :-)
-Michael

"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"
michaelwpayton
Teardrop Master

Postby mx842 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:22 pm

michaelwpayton wrote:I've used on a boat... where we had a separate tub/stand-up shower. Works great... a bit pricey, draw a lot of current... but, as long as you have shore power, Bob's your uncle :-)

I found one on e-bay and it's an under the sink model for $150.00. I am only going to have a outside shower and was wondering if this would work for me. You can't find a 6 gal water heater for that and it would only heat what you need so the power consumption probably wouldn't be that much more I wouldn't think.
mx842
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jwhite » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:21 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ELECTRIC-SINK-INSTANT-TANKLESS-HOT-WATER-HEATER-2KW-/310223916762?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483ac94eda
This is what I bought and it works fine but you have to buy a water flow tap to control how much water goes into the heater,the slower it goes in the hotter it gets.
also mine came with a plug for use in Europe I had to cut that off and put on a universal plug for it to work.
also this is made to use over a sink and you have to use the faucet made for the heater,I tried useing a hand held shower and it would not get hot but warm.?
but it works fine just the way it comes to you.
Image[/img]
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:41 pm

...eddielbs has the 120buck version of these in his "lil-CajInn and it works a charm...very nice gas fired unit..... 8)
http://sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=667361
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Crazylegs » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:01 am

I don't know how these work but they look cool.

http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consume ... hower.html
Crazylegs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mx842 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:12 am

Crazylegs wrote:I don't know how these work but they look cool.

http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consume ... hower.html

That looks cool too.

The one I saw is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT
mx842
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mx842 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:18 am

madjack wrote:...eddielbs has the 120buck version of these in his "lil-CajInn and it works a charm...very nice gas fired unit..... 8)
http://sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=667361

that looks like a good one too. I really didn't want to go the propane route but I may have too because these electric units take a lot of watts to operate. The one I saw uses 3600 watts and wouldn't be a problem on shore power but would work my small geni to the max just to take a shower. I'm still in the research mode with the hot shower thing, I still have time.
mx842
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 am

Solar water heaters seems to be a viable alternative ... Thrifty too ... could be as simple as a couple long garden hoses linked together..
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:05 pm

DIY solar'
'
[url]http://gridrunneradventures.com/portable-solar-water-heater/[url]

[/url]
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Ageless, That's pretty Nice !!! Looks easy (and Cheap) :thumbsup: No power worries , should supply enough warm water for a comfortable quick shower ... No need to even mount it on the roof ...

Extensive testing with my cheap solar cookers proved Solar really works ... just have to do things a little differently ... www.solarcooking.org

Cloudy days , you just have to "rough it"... :o Sponge and bucket ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Tankless Water Heaters

Postby Engineer Guy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:10 pm

I've traveled to much of Da World, and we're pretty much the only ones to heat up and keep ~40 gallons of water hot. That said, I've got an 80 Gallon Rheem in my new House that we run on off-peak electrical rates. I'll heat with some spare Solar Panels soon.

I used, and liked, a 'flash' Heater from Grainger that - ta da - is made in the U.K. It does have to be 'tweaked' for flow rates. That is, it takes a certain amount of water flow to kick it on. It uses 50 Amps, but then that sobering use of kWatts is only while you're showering.

On another note, WallyWorld now sells Coleman Solar Showers for the amazing price of $6.90. 5 gallons capacity; good for 2 showers or so.

Another way to go to use bendable 'type M' Copper tubing bent into a circle. You can flow water through it at the 'bottom' of a Campfire and store heated water in that manner for a shower.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:05 pm

We went with a conventional RV gas electric 6gal water heater. Park power when plugged in gas when not. KISS and dependable and not too esoteric.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mx842 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:We went with a conventional RV gas electric 6gal water heater. Park power when plugged in gas when not. KISS and dependable and not too esoteric.

How much room does that setup take? I'm kind of cramped for space but I like the idea of being able to heat water and not have to run the geni at times. I don't have propane lines in my construction plans but I guess I could run something like that with a portable tank.
mx842
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Tankless Water Heaters

Postby mx842 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Engineer Guy wrote:I've traveled to much of Da World, and we're pretty much the only ones to heat up and keep ~40 gallons of water hot. That said, I've got an 80 Gallon Rheem in my new House that we run on off-peak electrical rates. I'll heat with some spare Solar Panels soon.

I used, and liked, a 'flash' Heater from Grainger that - ta da - is made in the U.K. It does have to be 'tweaked' for flow rates. That is, it takes a certain amount of water flow to kick it on. It uses 50 Amps, but then that sobering use of kWatts is only while you're showering.

On another note, WallyWorld now sells Coleman Solar Showers for the amazing price of $6.90. 5 gallons capacity; good for 2 showers or so.

Another way to go to use bendable 'type M' Copper tubing bent into a circle. You can flow water through it at the 'bottom' of a Campfire and store heated water in that manner for a shower.

We have in the past carried a 35 gal plastic tank on the bike trailer and by the end of the day the sun had warmed the water up nicely. That's ok in the summertime but it ain't worth diddly in the winter. I did rig up an old water heater element out of an old water heater I found at the dump and wired it up and dropped it into the water tank and fired up the geni and by the end of the day it would knock the chill off the water enough to take a shower. Sometimes you have to do what you gotta do.LOL

I'm not looking for Marriott hotel amenities with this project but I'm looking to be a little better equipped that the way we were before. Just having a bed on the inside is where the bugs don't eat you alive is a big improvement over past experiences. I don't know how many times I have had to sleep on a mat under my 6' camp table with a tarp thrown over the top when my wife went along with us to the track. I would let her have my spot in the back of the truck so a guy has to do what a guy has to do. then we got a tent but what a pain in the bottom that was most of the time.
mx842
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions