roof AC advice and questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

roof AC advice and questions

Postby jwhite » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:57 am

ok I didn't want to spend the money to have a factory AC put in because I think they wanted 15 hundred or something like that .
I have found a used 1350. roof AC locally on Craigs list,for 150.00 1 question I have is does it need more bracing in the roof? or will it go into the same hole that the vent is in.
In other words can I take out the roof vent and the AC will go in that space without haveing to cut a larger hole and also add braceing>?
this may be a moot point if I have to buy a larger generator?

so I went with a 12000 btu portable AC for 350.00 also I have honda 2000 generator and it works OK it seams like it takes forever to cool down,you can sit right in front of the AC and be cool.

I thought I would get's some input before I talk to this guy if it hasn't sold,or if decide to buy a new one?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby drcurran » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm kind of looking at the same issue and it seems most roof top AC units will use most of your 2000w gen. I think for my 6 X 12 (if I ever get going) I will use a 8000 BTU window unit out the side of the trailer on a slide set up. OK just my .02

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby 8ball_99 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:37 am

Coleman Cub Roof AC.. Its 9200 BTU. Only pulls 9amps a honda 2000 will run it NP. They are more expensive then a standard rooftop since they are considered low Profile. IMO looks much better on these small trailers. 1500 Is really high to install a AC. A standard unit cost about 500. A low profile runs 6-900 bucks. My unit weighs around 80 pounds if I remember right. Me and a buddy used two ladders and a board to get it up on the roof. Wasn't really hard set the AC up on the board go up the ladders and lift the AC from the board to the roof. I really can't see a dealer charging more then a couple hundred to install one.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby jwhite » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:01 pm

I wonder if the Coleman Cub Roof AC.. that's 9200 BTU does it get cold and how fast does it cool down the trailer?
I passed on the used AC I wasn't sure how old it was or how well it worked or if it worked at all = it was used?
it was also larger than what my generator could handle 1350.
I kind of thought I would wait until next summer and buy a new one, and also see how my portable AC holds up?
The portable AC I have takes a long time to cool down I have ran it all night and it will get down in the 60's but by the next day it's right back to the mid 70's. I can sit in front of the AC in the middle of the day and it's fine? but not great?
I thought that it being a 12000 btu it would do a better job>
I bought it off Ebay and you know it could be defective or they may not be made to do much more than that?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:19 pm

I have a 5000 BTU from HD that cost $87. When in over 100º weather 2 weeks ago at Lake Meade, I turned it on full blast 5 minutes before bed time, then turned it to low and just a bit below the shutoff point on the variable control. Woke up once because it was too warm, so kicked it up just a hair to where it just came on. It cycled on for a minute, off for 10, most of the night, Was perfect.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby michiganflipper » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:29 pm

I also have a 5,000 btu A/C unit in my 6x12 cargo conversion and it keeps it really kool inside
michiganflipper
Teardrop Master

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:20 am

My coleman cub has NP cooling the trailer down. With it 95 outside I can cool the trailer down in about 15 mins. If you run it on high it will freeze you out.. Last time we camped and ran it at night even on low I ended up getting up and turning it off. Mind it wasn't as low as it would go. But after adjusting turning it down twice I just turned it off lol. My trailer is a 6x14 with +6" height ceiling.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:39 am

The hole where your vent is located is 14" square the same as what the roof AC's require.
As to the roof being able to handle the load, I would think if the vent is framed in and braced from roof rafter to roof rafter it should be ok for a AC.
remember you will need 120 Volts to run the AC.
I too have looked at the free standing AC units I could use it in my spare room and in the cargo trailer when and if I ever get one built.
Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jwhite » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:20 am

I was thinking that the framing for the vent should support the AC on the roof= it looks pretty sturdy to me?
I was also thinking that I would use the portable AC in a work room but from what I am seeing that the AC is haveing a hard time cooling the 7x16 trailer.
I have noticed that the exaust hose gets hot so I think I will wrap it with some insulation and see if that helps,the vnose area of my trailer gets hot so it may be leaking hot air into the same area I am trying to cool.
I am going to do more testing but I think I will have to get a Coleman Cub Roof AC some time next year.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:00 pm

I looked at portable ACs a little when I was doing my build. Most reviews I read online weren't very good. There ratings don't seem to be as True as a window AC or RV roof unit. So between that and floor space I decided against them. Space is and was pretty limited for me.
Your roof should be able to support the unit. If you have a factory roof vent then at the very least it should have to cross braces there. Some companies like the one that made my trailer fully frame the opening with steel tubing. If thats the case then You shouldn't have any problems.. If yours isn't boxed in then it might be worth welding a couple braces in to tie the two cross members together. I added a vent in my bathroom and ended up doing that.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Now I don't know about you guys , but the reason I want a cargo trailer is to get a good solid roof unencumbered by such silliness as a roof mounted RV AC unit ... The one I have on the roof of my TT has a thermostat , but the fan runs ALL the time ...makes a good deal of noise ,is prone to leaks , and is ridiculously expensive to have serviced. "The Look" doesn't make up for all it's faults... Practically speaking , I'd rather a "wall" unit like so many others here have successfully used here...

And I'd much rather deal with someone like Loew's, Sears , or Wal Mart rather than an RV dealer who always delves DEEP into my wallet ... :twisted:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:13 pm

At first we weren't even going to install a AC. I figured a fantastic fan would work. But what can I say.. When its 95 and a heat index of 110 during the day, at night it just never gets cool enough to sleep well. I can stick some heat strips in it for 45 bucks.. So with that one unit I have a way to cool us down on those crazy hot nights or warm us up on those cold mornings.
I would have considered a window unit, but I simply can't use one in my trailer since its a Toy Hauler. I wouldn't want to cut a hole in the front because of leaks and the rear of the trailer has to stay empty for loading my SxS.
If you have barn doors and you build a false wall in the back of the trailer like some on here have done. Then incorporating window ac in the back wall would be pretty easy. Its also much better to get the AC up off the ground as far as cooling goes. Really just depends on your trailer layout and how much interior space you can give up.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Well that's a Good reason !!! Space !!! Best of luck on that !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby HSandy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:20 pm

I just had a chance to use my new A/C this last weekend and was very pleased. This is a 5,000 btu Zenith window unit from HD and it made my 5x8 Haulmark cargo conversion quite frosty even in 100 deg. Georgia heat and humidity. It runs easily off my Yamaha EF2000is generator inverter although I ran into an issue trying to run the A/C at a very low setting over night using economy mode on the generator. The generator would be idled down due to the low power draw but then the A/C compressor would kick on and the gen would choke from the sudden load before it could increase revs. I have since read that A/C use is not compatible with economy mode.

I had originally planned to use a portable A/C in the trailer and actually ordered an 8,000 btu unit from walmart.com. Due to the size requirements of the unit, I decided against it, though. Used it in our sunroom for a while and then sold it on Craigslist.

The trailer has barn doors so I went with the L-shaped false wall on the left side. I can open that side to run the A/C and close and lock the right hand side. I use the trailer to go to bicycle events and the right-hand door is plenty big enough to get my bike and other stuff in and out.

HSandy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kstephenson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:49 pm

mine works great.....even in the south Georgia summer heat and humidity
My 6 x 12 insulated cools great with my 5000 btu window unit....and only cost 98.00
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions