Used U Haul truck boxes ...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Used U Haul truck boxes ...

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:06 pm

A friend of mine has several used Uhaul trailer boxes at his stables , used for storage ... He says he can get more .... CHEAP (250.00)
Makes me wonder if these can be mounted to a trailer for a cheapo camper conversion ???
The box looks something like this ... Image
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

I have wondered that too.

Postby ho-do » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:20 pm

I have also wondered why not use these. There are two not too far away from me on broken down moving u-haul trucks. They appear to be well made. I am sure you could mount them on a flatbed and convert them. $250 sounds like one heck of a bargain. They would even make good storage sheds and a lot cheaper than buying one from a DIY center.
ho-do
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Ho Do , they do seem to make good inexpensive storage sheds ... The ones I saw seemed to be in pretty good shape too ... No Leaks , no dents to speak of ... guessing the trucks under them just wore out ... some are even big enough for TD storage ... just as an afterthought :thinking: ... They seem to come in different sizes too , the ones I saw were rather small ish'... but maybe I need to bring a tape and see for sure ... Already have a nice boat trailer ready to convert ... Just an idea ... Either something like that or spend 3K on a cargo trailer ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lonerider » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Depends on how heavy they are :thinking:
lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:13 am

Yeah , I have to check that out ... and the actual size .... Going down there today and take some measurements ...get a closer look at the particulars ...take some pics ... I'll get back with that later ...
This might actually work ... sure would be Cheap ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:00 am

Oh the memories. Kenny and I pulled our tear to our first Dam gathering way back when....since it rained we LOVED sitting in the truck :lol: :lol:
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Insulated Truck Boxes

Postby Engineer Guy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:44 am

A pal from Seattle and I were discussing the 'movement' to turn Shipping Containers into habitable space. There's just a FEW Containers around the port town of Seattle. Supposedly, there's ~300,000 'spare' Containers around Long Beach CA. It's cheaper to build them new in China for a few hundred bucks than to ship them back.

He pointed out that Containers used to ship perishables are lined with something like 6" of Insulation [Styro?] and then chilled during transit.

If a person could find a used Truck Box insulated to move Food or other perishables - I suspect the separate A/C unit above the Cab would have been removed already - you'd have a comfy Truck Box ready to trick out.

I've walked through a few U-Haul and other Boxes to check out space and live-in possibilities. It seems promising... The front space under the Cabover extension would be a good spot for Utilities or storage. Boxes put on Izusu Diesel chassis are a nice size.

Several Boxes I walked had translucent Roofs, as do the 'PODS' portable Boxes.

http://www.google.com/images?q=shipping+container+homes&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=fL1aTP7_C4-4sQOy8qFL&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEEQsAQwAw&biw=1126&bih=737
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:28 am

Did a rough on site measure .... these seem to be about the size of the 14' box...
Bigger than I expected ... :o They looked smaller from the street ... :oops:
PLENTY of room inside ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

cargo boxes

Postby fireman281 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:05 pm

I am in the process of building a 8 x 14 morgan van box, its the one without the front overhang. Anyhow its alittle over 2000 pounds and I have built the trailer to put under it. Its taken me alittle bit of work to remove the truck rails from the box and cut out the bed for the tires but I will say the thing is well built. Im taking the roll up door off and replacing it with a wall but the door itself weighed alot. Those boxes take a beating and they hold up well. i am taking pictures as I go and I am trying to get a build thread going but having problems getting the pictures to upload but nevertheless for what I have invested in this project doesnt even come close to what a new cargo trailer costs. A small cargo trailer at that.
fireman281
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:00 pm

F281, can't wait to see your pictures ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:53 am

Just more thinking :thinking: Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lonerider » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:21 pm

2,000 lbs +....I'd want to put it on a tandem trailer!
lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:10 am

Good point !!! Have no idea how much it weighs ??? Tandems are twice the trouble , and expense ! :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

axles

Postby fireman281 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:08 am

I am setting up the trailer with tandem axles and it hasnt been too bad. But, your right, it is more expensive. I know there would be alot of discussion to go either way on the axle setup i'm sure, but I just wanted a smooth ride, little security on poss. blow outs and room to add stuff to the project without worrying about weight issues.
fireman281
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:43 pm

These boxes were really a lot bigger than I first envisioned them from afar ... When I got up close , realized how BIG they really are ... :o
Guess I need a bigger trailer , all I have now is a boat trailer ... 54" wide frame .... that's not gonna cut it ... Maybe I can find a bigger tandem boat trailer ... Still lots of empty trailers left from Katrina... some to be had for a pittance ...
:roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions