Stealth Cargo Trailers ...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Stealth Cargo Trailers ...

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:20 am

Noticed a lot of folks would like to remain un-noticed ... There are quite a few CTs around here , most belonging to contractors/tradesmen . The ones with writing on them seem to attract a bit more attention than the Plain ones , probably by design (advertising) ...
Also, most seem rather unkempt ... :o Usually the dirtier it is , the less you want to look at it ... blends in !!!
Anything attached to the outside draws notice , especially to the trained eye... Roof vents seem common , but when I see an AC on top , I begin to suspect ... Camper !!! :roll: Thinking a single small window on the passenger side might be a tip off .. probably go unnoticed by most , but No curtains please ... a simple window shade would work , plainer the better .... Might also paint the window trim to match the trailer color , for less contrast ...
You guys have any ideas ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ctcanuck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 am

I totally agree with your observations GPW. Around these parts,thieves tend to steal CTs because they know the trailers can be full of good things like very expensive tools and such. A friend of mine had his CT stolen right out of his back yard,he had his 40,000 Harley and his wifes 5,000 mountain bike in there at the time.He was using it for storage.

The dirtier and uglier it looks the better. :)
Last edited by Ctcanuck on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ctcanuck
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kstephenson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Here is my design for my stealth trailer
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ctcanuck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Very nice kstephenson. I really like the window idea. Great job.
Ctcanuck
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Stealth Cargo Trailers ...

Postby d30gaijin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm

GPW wrote:Noticed a lot of folks would like to remain un-noticed ... There are quite a few CTs around here , most belonging to contractors/tradesmen . The ones with writing on them seem to attract a bit more attention than the Plain ones , probably by design (advertising) ...
Also, most seem rather unkempt ... :o Usually the dirtier it is , the less you want to look at it ... blends in !!!
Anything attached to the outside draws notice , especially to the trained eye... Roof vents seem common , but when I see an AC on top , I begin to suspect ... Camper !!! :roll: Thinking a single small window on the passenger side might be a tip off .. probably go unnoticed by most , but No curtains please ... a simple window shade would work , plainer the better .... Might also paint the window trim to match the trailer color , for less contrast ...
You guys have any ideas ???

GPW,

I agree with your assessment i.e., the plainer the better hence less likely a target for theft/vandalism. I came to that conclusion after a few camping trips and more so by parking my CT in front of my house. I have no signs or any information whatsoever on my CT, and I like it that way. I also have no windows installed, although my original plan called for installing at least one window on each side. I am now of the opinion that no windows are needed so none will be installed since we only spend the evenings of our camping trips inside the CT, daytime we're out and about so why would we need windows that mostly allow someone else to see inside our CT when we aren't worried about looking outside?

We don't need the light, what little side windows would let in, and we don't need the cost of windows if we have no need of them. And that goes back a few threads to discussion on my thread as to names to potentially place on the side of the CT to deter criminal interest such as "POOPER SCOOPERS" and other great suggestions. Be that as it may, I am now of the opinion that less is more. With a plain Jane unmarked CT, no windows, no one knows what is inside... so would they be willing to take a chance on burglary of an unknown? And that applies to smaller CT's such as my 6x10. With larger CT conversions (7x12, 7x20 or bigger) that may not be the case in that a criminal might assume that there MUST be something of interest in there... pure speculation on my part.

Also, unkempt appearance is, I think, important. We bought our CT used and it came with a slightly crinkled right fender. I originally planned to replace it with a new fender but subsequently asked myself, "Why?" It's a simple fender that still works as designed so why replace it in consideration that it gives the appearance that our CT isn't worth much, hence what's inside isn't worth much.

Oh! And I should mention that if I, for whatever reason, need more daylight, well I can always open the rear barn doors and drop a bug screen down and have tons of daylight inside.

Good thread start that I think is applicable to all of us here.

Don
Last edited by d30gaijin on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:52 am

Basic human nature ... if it's plain (and ugly) nobody wants to look at it ... If it's pretty , it attracts attention ... Now I'm not advocating pulling around some nasty looking rig by a shabby old pickup truck ... but it would be "invisible " ... All how far we want to take the Stealth factor ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

RE: STEALTH

Postby 4x4chvy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:11 pm

If anyone is seriously attempting *Ultimate Stealth* with a CT ... couple things to think about:
1. The sound of TV's, stereos, dogs barking and voices coming from inside the CT.
2. The light coming from the tiny gaps around the doors and the roof vent lit up.
3. The smell of food cooking.
4. The CT bouncing around from walking or .... whatever :oops:
5. People going in and out.

and as several people pointed out : decals, shining aluminum, roof a/c, RV steps, vents, AC plugs, tanks & pipes hanging down, fancy rims, awnings, windows and non-stock doors are dead giveaways. Dunno about the rest of the world, but cops here would be banging on your door in a heartbeat, while writing out the citation with the other hand.

:thumbsup: Good Camoflage:
Ladders, mounted on the side or the roof.
Blank sides or deterrent signage: "Billy-Bob's Poo-Poo Pickup" (as already mentioned)
Generators & battery boxes look like contractor equip.
"The difference between Adversity and Adventure - is Attitude!"
4x4chvy
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:35 pm

...being towed by a dirty old pickup truck with empty cigarette packs/Mc Donald's wrappers on the dash, tool box on the back with some rubber boots shoved in behind them ... Just gotta' have a nasty old yellow water cooler too ... magnetic signs on the doors ... may have to pre-test that light leakage thing ... :o stabilizers would help with ... "whatever" :roll: All in how Super Stealth you gotta' be eh ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 pm

How about a hand lettered sign by the doors,

"Corrosives - Keep Back 25 Feet"

or;

"DANGER - Off Duty Security Dogs Inside"
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

HAZMAT

Postby 4x4chvy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 pm

MR GPW! My truck is pretty old...but it ain't that bad!
:lol:
Be careful with HAZMAT signage.
Over certain amounts it needs to be properly placarded, all four sides and you need to be certified, permitted or endorsed to be hauling it.
Locals, Highway Patrol or worse, DOT, will notice (easy ticket for them) especially if you're out of area and want to see proper paperwork, emergency numbers, fire extinguishers, etc.

Not many people will want a Hazmat trailer parked on or near their property.

Dogs - even K9 trained dogs need the proper signs, paperwork and insurance.
One call from a concerned Samaritan over the non-existent dogs welfare and you'd have a time of it explaining to the cops or fire department that you don't have a dog locked in a trailer. They will demand to see for themselves. Then the secret Bat Cave isn't secret anymore.
In many states, it's legal for law enforcement to break into vehicles to rescue animals if the owner is not around. Especially if the animal is non-responsive to knocks and shouts and therefore assumed to be in life threatening condition.
4x4chvy
Teardrop Builder

Postby vreihen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:How about a hand lettered sign by the doors,

"Corrosives - Keep Back 25 Feet"

Unless you have a CDL, hazmat endorsement, and bail money, anything that might be construed as a hazard to rescue workers or raise DOT interest should be considered off limits. Besides, advertising that there are chemicals inside might draw the attention of home-grown terrorists or paint huffers looking for a quick high.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Back to the Poop idea ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

What's A Mother To Do?

Postby Engineer Guy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:03 pm

'Twas with some regret that I gave up on the Stealth aspect of Trailering when picking up a 'Commercial' TT recently. But, we need/want Windows and other giveaways of what's inside. 'Life's a series of tradeoffs', as the saying goes.

A pal had his funky, non-badged Electrical Contracting CT [at Jobsites] cleaned out twice; tens-of-thousands $$ each event. A Cordless Grinder w/new Wheel was likely the Tool used to cut Locks and Hardware quickly.

I've wondering about 'too' Commercial-looking CTs getting chased down after passing Weigh Stations where 'All Commercial Vehicles and Trailers' must exit. The weigh lines are very long, so I've no interest in sitting in them. Immigration and Terrorist 'issues' are making for little leeway, Trucker pals tell me.

Anything 'questionable' - Hazmat or Fuel, etc. - is not allowed through Tunnels, as on I-70 West of Denver. Those loads have to drive over Loveland Pass, or wait to go through the Tunnel alone on the hour when bad weather or Avalanches close that Pass.

Years ago, an Inventor sold a system plumbed like fine Misters used outside at Restaurants for cooling [but high power instead]. When someone tried to break into your Vehicle, a Fire Extinguisher-sized container in the Trunk full of 'serious' Pepper Spray dosed them unexpectedly from thin tubing run inconspicuously along the Door.

To riff off of GPW's Post, perhaps a beefy Macerator Pump turned on by Door-selective Sensors could empty a CT Black Water Tank down on an intruder in a lil 'high pressure' shower? Invaderus Interruptus... Now, that's some clandestine Video I'd really enjoy watching!

Macerator Pump
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

What the Hell?!

Postby 4x4chvy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 am

Wait.............WHAT?!!!?
:shock: What state does that happen in?!?!?!
Since when do non-commercial vehicles have to run thru a DOT scale house?

Not that we wouldn't love to see the under-powered vehicles pulling road-hogging, accidents-waiting-to-happen, fish tailing RV trailers with no mirrors, sagging suspension, under rated brakes/tire ratings and no weight/sway hitches being pulled in there and given Level 1 inspections......but :

US DOT FMSCR (Federal Motor Safety Carrier Regulations) definition of commercial Vehicle:
Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:
(a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds; or
(b) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
(c) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
(d) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrguidedetails.aspx?reg=r49CFR172

Some states do have Scale House signs that read "All Trucks, Next Right".
But the DOT cops and the truck drivers waiting in line (losing money sitting still) have zero sense of humor about you pulling in there with a non-commercial vehicle and wasting everyone's time.

HINT: DOT rarely mess with trash haulers or septic trucks :lol:
4x4chvy
Teardrop Builder

Re: Effective CT Rebadging ~ Be Careful What You Wish For

Postby Engineer Guy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 am

Non-Commercial Vehicles don't have to be weighed. The fine print noted in the Links below is about what constitutes 'Commercial'.

Otherwise, we're in 'violent agreement here', as a pal says.

The Weigh Station Employee/LEO makes the call - to be sorted out roadside - on whether a cleverly-badged [or not] CT appears Commercial or not. If a CT doesn't 'look' Commercial, there is no issue; no Trailer to chase down and verify. Here in the Wild West, all Commercial Trucks and Trailers must exit, including Rental Trucks in some States.

Another consideration is the omnipresence - in the West, at least - of temporary Weigh Stations set up roadside at spacious Turnouts. Highway 93 north of Coors Beer-famous Golden CO is one favored site. 2 chase LEOs typically 'support' these 'stealth' Weigh Stations in their mission of ensuring safety and Revenue 'enhancement'. Blow by a Weigh Station in a large, rebadged CT and report back here on how that works out for ya! ;-0 A junky-looking CT may be assumed to be trying to fly below the Radar to avoid Commercial obligations, too. Read below.

Since Forum members here don't 'stop' themselves, it's not about what the CT owner knows or perceives. Any stop is based on what the Weigh Station Employee/LEO perceives rightly or wrongly... As noted above, and in prior Posts, Forum Members make their guesses about what's in a CT. So do LEOs. CTs are 'profiled' if stops lead to Fines more often than not.

My point was that 'too' convincing a rebadged CT needs to be thought through a bit, as noted in the Subject Line above. If nothing else, read below that this issue is not tidily summed up in a few DOT quotes. There's plenty of grey areas on this topic. I take note of 'what is'; not 'what ought to be' while referencing some of the nice, larger CT builds posted here.

See the 05-22-2008 Posts below from a 'Pro' as an example:

Weigh Station Issues Forum

Truck Weigh Issues By State
Last edited by Engineer Guy on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions