Taking the Plunge - Progressing on the build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Taking the Plunge - Progressing on the build

Postby pilgrim » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Well, I think it's finally here. That long thought over idea of converting our cargo trailer into a camper. We've been camping in it (while not hauling the bikes) since 2007 and many a time I have thought that we should "fix er' up a little".

We've owned RV's since 1980 and have camped all over the western US but the last 6 or 7 years we've been without one. I can tell you that we miss it greatly even though we've been tent camping as often as possible and have camped in the cargo trailer when we could. Tenting is great but I still miss the RV lifestyle even though there were drawbacks. This conversion should fit the bill!

I'll be building in 3 or 4 phases at the minimum with unknown durations in between although the goal is to 'get er' done' as quickly as possible. It's amazing how this site kinda pushes you along. Just seeing all your trailers and the amazing work you've done is great inspiration.

So the journey begins - I'm taking the plunge -diving off the cliff as it were -digging in and... er, whatever. Anyway here's some beginning photos and if all goes as planned I'll journal the build here.

Here's a photo of our trailer, a 7X12 Wells Cargo Cycle Wagon:

A look at the inside...

And just to commemorate the build, here I am removing the first of what looks to be hundreds of screws!

Last edited by pilgrim on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The road less traveled usually has fewer potholes.
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Listen pilgrim, you just keep doing what your doing and before you know it you'll be finished............said in a John Wayne voice

many a trip has started with that first step so yours starts with the first removal of what will become many screws don't think about for each one you remove one has to go back.

very nice looking trailer and one I am sure you will be more proud of when your finished.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pilgrim » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks Pete!

Good catch on that Pilgrim handle... big Wayne fan here.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've learned that there are rewards to be found on the trip far before reaching the destination. Hopefully I'll have some progress reports soon. I'm still somewhat in the design stages - trying to get everything laid out so I don't have to backtrack - at least very much anyway. Getting the paneling off helps with the process. Should be a fun build and my wife is totally excited about the whole thing, which of course, makes it a lot more enjoyable.

We set up a table and had dinner in the trailer tonight (neighbors probably think we're nuts or at we least confirmed it for them) and tossed around our ideas, hopes, and dreams. Lot's going on in our minds right now so we'll filter through everything and firm up what is realistic and proceed from there. I'll keep cruising this site for info and try to get some input when needed to keep this build on track.

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:49 pm

Finished the basic layout today then spent most of the rest of my day off doing research. I have to say that this site is a wealth of information!

So far it looks like the only big ticket item we've decided on is an RV furnace. We live in NW Montana and if you don't camp when it's cold, well you just don't camp a lot. My wife and I were in Glacier NP camping last year in late August and it snowed on the pass. Really not that unusual but those cold mornings sure get old. Not only that but we'd love to do some more winter camping. Few years back we were RV-snowmobiling at a place called Lolo pass and the temp got down to -35. Had a Lance slide-in back then that was supposed to be cold weather ready but in one day we used all the propane and everything froze. Don't plan on doing that again but the below freezing temps are plentiful.

Anyway, chomping at the bit to get in to this deeper but after reading through all the posts and looking at your builds I am getting a feel for the order of things. So we're going to order in the few items we absolutely need and go from there. This is going to be a blast!

While I'm here... Does anyone know if the window trim rings come in any standard depths or are they custom made to the application? I'd rather try to fit my wall thickness to some standard dimension than having something custom made unless that's the way it's done. Anyone with comments would be welcome here! :thumbsup:
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Well, got all of the walls down to the studs so I could get started on the wiring and insulation. The Wells Cargo wall supports are a kind of T type of configuration as I'm sure many of you already know so getting the foam board in is a bit of a challenge although I've developed a method that works. I'll post some photos soon as I can so you can see the process if you like. By the way, do any of you use a vapor barrier before putting the paneling up?

Today I made the trek to the nearest RV supply (about 150 mile round trip, although everything here is a long way off) and picked up some exterior porch lights to get wired in. The nice part is that there is a camper manufacturer there also that I hope to consult with about some of the inner workings of things.

Only hold up right now is the windows I want to install. Man, they can sure be expensive if you custom order them but it looks like I've found what I can use on eBay so I'll probably order those tomorrow. The electrical posts have helped me decide on the hook-up I need and I'll be making my order on that also.

With these things and some wall covering I'll just about have phase 1 under my belt. I'll be camping in it insulated or not for about 4 days next week during a youth camp I'll be working at. Sure hope that it's insulated though as summer has just not made it to NW Montana yet this year and it's going to be chilly! I've got a plenty warm sleeping bag though so only dressing will be a pain. I'm hoping that there's electricity on site so I can at least hook up a space heater.

Sure hope I can connect with some of you all on this site as your posts are a tremendous help. Also, if any of you are in Montana or going to do some travel here it's be nice to meet and say hello! I brew a mean cowboy coffee that's guaranteed grow some hair.

By the way, I am a little disgusted with all these teardrop posts since they've made me want one. Those little campers look like loads of fun! :)

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby David_L6 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:22 am

Please take plenty of pictures and give lots of details. I have a 7 X 16 that I'm getting ready to rig out.
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby pilgrim » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:33 am

Hey David - I'll get some taken and post them as quick as I can. Looking forward to seeing your build come along!
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby pilgrim » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:33 am

Here's the process I used to get the insulation in to the T-frame of the Well's Cargo.

First I cut the board to the width of the space behind the flange so that it will slide behind the flange. Then I cut the board down the center, but not all the way through, just enough to get it to break but leave the skin intact on one side. From there I install as follows:

Putting the board into the area with it folded out to fit between the flanges.

The as I press the fold back in place it slides behind the flange to fill the entire space.

Final fitting with the ol' hammer fist technique.

And here it is installed.

The last photo looks a little curved because I used a wide angle lens to get a closer photo...

The cut I made in the center has closed tightly so I don't believe it'll need any tape but I may put some on just to make sure although I am thinking of adding a vapor barrier anyway so it probably won't be necessary.

Hope this helped.

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:24 am

pilgrim wrote:By the way, I am a little disgusted with all these teardrop posts since they've made me want one. Those little campers look like loads of fun! :)

Pilgrim

:thinking: the thing about those little campers is those of us who are getting older and have back issues. simply Must have that stand up room without all that bending over inside.
It's why when I needed to move up from tent/ground camping.. I totally skipped the teardroppers.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby pilgrim » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:00 pm

You're right! Standing up is a big plus :thumbsup:

I've got to say that I'm having a blast building this little trailer. My wife reminded me last night that I've talked of building my own RV for the last 16 or so years. Never could find one off the lot that fit our needs or likes for that matter. Either more than we needed or just not a good fit. So as it turns out this build has been in the works for a longer time than I thought!

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:56 pm

yes I know that feeling. I have been talking of moving on from tenting for years, don't know the time frame.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby pilgrim » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:48 pm

I guess for me it's a few factors. First is the time involved in setting up everything for my wife and myself, then if it rains it's kind of a mess, both in camp and at home drying everything out, and of course the concern of bears here in Montana. Don't get me wrong I love to tent camp but for me if I'm taking the family it'd be easier to be back in an RV.

With all that being said I will say that I still do love to backpack, and every summer I take as many motorcycle trips as possible, of course all this in tents. But it'll sure be fun to drag that trailer out to the woods and just kick back. :thumbsup:

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:24 pm

Well, most of the wall insulation is finished and I'll be starting the ceiling tonight, but most importantly I've ordered the windows! :thumbsup:

This was a hard decision to make since there were so many choices including no windows at all, but we live and camp in such spectacular country that I just couldn't think of not having them. Furthermore we've had the experience so sitting out plenty of days of rain in Yellowstone NP in our RV's of years past and it's good to be able to enjoy the view while staying dry.

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:37 pm

I know lots of people say not having Windows is the same as sitting in the trailer at night. True BUT I want to look out,
one of the things on my list of things to do if and when I every start a CT build is to have the windows low enough to see out when sitting down.
I hope you haven't replaced the paneling the windows will need framing.
looking good keep going.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:49 pm

I agree, I want to see out! For now I have put the old paneling back up but it's temporary since I've got to use it the end of this week for a camp I'll be at. It'll come back off easily so I'll get the framing in when the windows come in. Got to do everything in stages right now. If I could I'd just do the whole thing at once but a man must do what a man must do. ;)

Looking forward to seeing your build so keep me posted! By the way, did the photos help with ideas on getting that insulation in?

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions